I have backup my photos, etc, but I want to setup my phone as NEW (FRESH) and the only thing I want is my contacts and messages.

Is there a way to do that without restoring from iCloud Backup?

I have iFunBox File Explorer which I use to save my game saved files to my PC, then when I restore new, I just install the app fresh then copy the saved files back to the game Document folder. I wonder if there is a file that I can do the same for message and contacts (copy the file to PC first, then copy it back to the folder once I setup the phone as NEW).

Thanks.
    09-18-2014 04:06 PM
    When you setup as a new phone and use the same iCloud account your contact will be auto downloaded without any issues.

The problem is messages - you cannot selectively restore just messages.
    09-18-2014 04:10 PM
    I have backup my photos, etc, but I want to setup my phone as NEW (FRESH) and the only thing I want is my contacts and messages.

Is there a way to do that without restoring from iCloud Backup?

I have iFunBox File Explorer which I use to save my game saved files to my PC, then when I restore new, I just install the app fresh then copy the saved files back to the game Document folder. I wonder if there is a file that I can do the same for message and contacts (copy the file to PC first, then copy it back to the folder once I setup the phone as NEW).

Thanks.
    If you are backing up contacts to iCloud then your contacts will transfer easily. As for messaging...idk. I don't think any of those file explorers can get that deep into messages.
    09-18-2014 04:10 PM
    I am curious if it can be done, anyone else know? Thanks.
    09-19-2014 08:47 PM
    I am curious if it can be done, anyone else know? Thanks.
    I don't know about messages, but if your contacts are associated with an email account, then all you have to do is set up the email account on the device and enable the sync button next to contacts. You can also select to sync your contacts via iTunes. Does your wireless carrier have an ios app or a way to save and then retrieve your messages?
    09-19-2014 08:57 PM
    That, I don't know, that's why I am here... I want to setup my phone as NEW, it's no problem for saved games, no problem for contacts, so only messages that I still have no clue how to save it.

just found this article from wired

http://www.wired.com/2013/11/backup-sms-iphone/

found rather interesting thread from apple support forum

https://discussions.apple.com/thread...rt=60&tstart=0

Thanks.
    Last edited by gameson; 09-22-2014 at 12:42 AM.
    09-22-2014 12:27 AM
    can you go into iCloud and disable everything for backup except messages? Delete all apps, music, etc., backup, and then restore from that? So basically all that's on your current phone is what you want restored to the new one? Might be the only way.
    ladyc0524 likes this.
    09-22-2014 06:33 AM
    it's possible, but i m not sure if it will carry the 'junk' from my iphone. i first use iphone from ios 6 (iphone 5), so it's been 2 years. i would prefer to setup as new and do manual transfer like saved game using ifunbox. saved game is easy, go to document folder, save all that to pc, when setup as new, download the game, then save back the document folder from pc back to phone.

i m curious if i can do that with message, but from my initial research, it seems like it has not been done yet.
    09-23-2014 04:33 AM
    it's possible, but i m not sure if it will carry the 'junk' from my iphone. i first use iphone from ios 6 (iphone 5), so it's been 2 years. i would prefer to setup as new and do manual transfer like saved game using ifunbox. saved game is easy, go to document folder, save all that to pc, when setup as new, download the game, then save back the document folder from pc back to phone.

i m curious if i can do that with message, but from my initial research, it seems like it has not been done yet.
    I believe Jeff Benjamin from iDownloadBlog talked about him doing this exact thing you want, in one of there podcasts a while back. Not how he did it exactly but they talked about he should write a blog post someday on how he did it.

It was something like take a backup, use a tool to extract the messages DB, take a backup from the new phone which is now nearly empty, inject the retrieved messages DB and finally restore from the latest backup with only messages DB inside.

You could try and google Jeff Benjamin, idownloadblog, messages etc.

I don't know if he actually ever did get to write the post they talked about on there podcast show :-)

Best regards, Peter
    09-23-2014 05:22 AM
    Just searched for the information my self that I suggested to you. Jeff wrote his post here:
    How to back up and restore Messages on a fresh iOS install
    robertk328 likes this.
    09-23-2014 05:29 AM
    This is awesome, tobey74. I will do this when I upgrade to 6 / 6+. Great tutorial! worth the steps!
    09-23-2014 05:15 PM