Please help me sort out my iCloud mess please

chrisoldroyd

May 11, 2010
Visit site
I need some advice from an iCloud expert, I currently have the following devices all sharing the same iTunes app account and iCloud account log ins and I am having problems with bookmarks, music etc. coming up on my wife and daughters phones and many other crossovers.

Chris (Me)
iTunes Account Holder
iPhone
iPad Mini Retina

Sharon (Wife)
iPhone

Tia (Daughter)
iPhone
iPad Mini

I want them all to have separate accounts in as far as iCloud backups go I think but I also want to be able to share app purchases etc (is that Family Sharing?)

Only other thing that would be handy is being able to see daughters phone on Find My iPhone if that's possible from my log in, if not I can log in using her credentials in an emergency.

What is the best way to set all of these devices up as I am getting tired of them all complaining and that will get worse once iOS 8 is installed on all of their devices too.

Thanks
Chris

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Use your AppleiD for the AppStore on all devices... And individual iCloud/AppleIDs for email contact sync, etc for each person.

You can also let each person have their own full blown AppleID for iTunes/AppStore and set up FamilyShare...

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
1. Use ONE Apple ID on ALL devices for App Store & iTunes purchases. By doing so, you can keep track of who buying and downloading what, as well as use the apps & music on all of your device without having to pay for them multiple times.

2. Give each person their own Apple ID for iCloud. By doing this, each person will have a bit of privacy. No one will see the other's email, messages, FaceTime calls, etcetera.

3. If you're the big dawg, you can store your family's iCloud credentials in a password app for safe keeping AND specifically, if you have kids (primarily teenagers). You can install the Find My iPhone app on YOUR device and simply enter in the person's iCloud credentials to locate that person's device, if necessary.

4. If you do have kids, especially teens, place a restriction on their devices, specifically one that prevents them from disabling the Find My iPhone feature....Hint Hint

Anyway, those are things that I 'recommend'.

chrisoldroyd

May 11, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the help guys, managed to get all the seperate device owners set up with their own iCloud accounts. I am still sharing my iTunes account but am considering giving them their own and setting up family sharing.

If I decide to do this, will the apps that they have already installed using my iTunes credentials still be available to them if I change their iTunes accounts?

Thanks
Chris

rstark18

Sep 2, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the help guys, managed to get all the separate device owners set up with their own iCloud accounts. I am still sharing my iTunes account but am considering giving them their own and setting up family sharing.

If I decide to do this, will the apps that they have already installed using my iTunes credentials still be available to them if I change their iTunes accounts?

Thanks
Chris

Yes, all the apps will stay. I did this yesterday with my wife's iPhone. She had always just shared my iTunes account. I switched her over to her own account for backup purposes. I turned on family sharing and all is good. BTW, you can also enable location sharing (Find My iPhone) when setting up Family sharing.

Last edited:

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I do what most do (mainly because that's what we have had to do all this time), which is separate iCloud logins for each phone, and all using the same app store login. Even with separate logins, you could use Find My Friends to locate the phones, rather than Find My iPhone which wants the same Apple ID.

I think the family sharing is good in that when kids go off to school, etc., or are old enough to make their own money, they can make their own purchases, on their own account, yet still have access to the apps, songs, etc., that they have had access to "the old way".