4S install - a bit whacked

steveg_nh

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Start to finish, it took me about 3 hrs to do it OTA. A lot of that was waiting for the download to finish due to heavy server load I'm sure.

But when mine completed though, upon the final reboot, I didn't get the normal "Hello" screen. It showed all of my devices serial numbers and EIDs. Kind of weird. It did continue, but here and there I wonder if something is off. For example, when I power cycle the phone/reboot it, when it does the little double virbate thing as it's ready, it's a good 15-20 seconds before I actually see my lock screen and can swipe to unlock.

Also, when using the new "email your meeting attendee" feature from a calendar invite, the actual email never goes away after clicking SEND.

I think my install is whacked and I'd like to figure out how to do it again...Is there a way I can force a new install all over again? My iPad was more smooth, and I got the welcome screen and seems to behave better.

swampbaby

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
You can try doing a fresh install on your 4S by putting the iPhone into DFU mode.

Entering DFU Mode on iPhone, iPad or iPod touch
Plug your device into your computer with a USB cable.
Turn off the device.
Hold the Power button for 3 seconds.
Hold the Home and Power buttons for 10 seconds.
Release the Power button but keep holding the Home button.
After about 15 seconds you will be alerted by iTunes saying that it has detected a device in Recovery Mode.
Make sure the device screen is blank and no logos are present

DFU Mode - The iPhone Wiki

Also It has been suggested that 4S users AVOID the iOS 8 update as it slows the phone down due to the phones internals not being able to process iOS 8 the way Apple has intended.

steveg_nh

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Thanks. Honestly, I'm seeing performance as just fine. I really don't see any issues. I'll be upgrading to 6 soon enough, but wanted to play around with iOS 8.

So a question - before I do this (what you show above), should I first connect to Itunes and do a backup? I assume after I reinstall in recovery mode, the phone will be wiped and I'd need to restore a backup.

swampbaby

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
It is recommended that you ALWAYS do a backup. Better safe than sorry. Once you do the fresh install and you encounter any glitches on your phone you can perform another DFU install and set the phone up as new if you'd like. Can either backup via iCloud or iTunes.

steveg_nh

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
First, thanks for your help and advice.

I'm not following your last post though. You're saying two DFU installs? Wouldn't the first DFU recovery wipe the phone and do a fresh install? You mean another, and then the option of setting it up as new. I need to read up on DFU I would imagine.

As for backing up, that is done BEFORE I even do the power down/power on steps to enter DFU mode right? Just regular old connection to iTunes to backup...

In reading up on DFU and recovery mode, since I don't want to downgrade, looks like regular recovery mode would work too. No?

Last edited:

steveg_nh

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
A follow-up question - does recovery mode or DFU actually perform a reinstall of iOS, or does it just leave the iOS install there, and delete end user data? I would think the former, it wouldn't really "fix" more severe issues.

Thanks.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73