3rd party keyboard not always present

jdhooghe

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
Hello all, to put it shortly, swiftkey will not stay as my keyboard. I have gone to the keyboards settings and have designated it as first(if that helps at all) but it doesn't stick. I can select another keyboard but it always goes back to the default apple keyboard. Is there something I am missing here? Additionally, sometimes the other keyboards I have downloaded don't even show up on the happy face/globe selection. I have to close it and reopen it. It then appears. Thank you for your time.

TL;DR:

Things I have done so far:

1) Downloaded swiftkey
2) Enabled it in settings
3) Put it as first in settings
4) Every time it goes back to default, I select it again using the globe it it exists. If not, then I close the app and the happy face becomes a globe, the keyboard appears and I can select it

austriak

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
Two things. First, did you give SwiftKey full access? I'm not sure if that will solve it out not. Second, certain things will force you to use the Apple keyboard, such as password fields.

In settings I have SwiftKey as second but it uses it automatically if it is the last keyboard I used unless it is one of those special fields that requires the Apple keyboard.

davsug

Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
Is there any way to make Swiftkey the first keyboard in settings? I don't think so. I'm having the same problem where it tends to default to the apple keyboard, then there's a bit of lag when I switch to Swiftkey,

iKev

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
I'm using Swype and I just removed the regular (English) keyboard altogether. I get the Swype keyboard every time now.

EggoEspada

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
I'm using Swype and I just removed the regular (English) keyboard altogether. I get the Swype keyboard every time now.

I did this and it works just fine now. Only issue I have though is when I get a text message and swipe down for the quick reply, I only get the Emoji keyboard with no way to switch back to SwiftKey

candy84

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
this happened to me in the beginning. I deleted and reinstalled swift key and was able to use it for the quick reply

PeltFrelken

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
I've installed Swype and Fleksy and both seem to be a little buggy. The stock keyboard keeps popping up. I'm sure there will be updates now to polish things up a bit.

jdhooghe

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
Hi all, thank you for the replies. I've tried reinstalling them and rebooting my phone but the problem still persists. I don't want to delete the stock keyboard because I do like the banner reply function. I'll just wait until Apple sends out some updates. I thought maybe I wasn't doing something correctly.

Superjudge

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I'm finding the 3rd party keyboards very buggy. They don't always act as your default keyboard. I understand with passwords. I've had SwiftKey lock up Safari a couple of times. In fact the keyboard doesn't even show up when this happens and the only way option is to fix it is to restart the phone. It's also not a very fluid experience . Not sure if this is a dev or Apple issue. I'm leaning towards the latter.

Antron

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
As others have said, I deleted the default keyboard and SwiftKey comes up when replying now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
You may have to tap the globe icon at bottom to bring the 3rd party keyboard back up. I had to do that with SwiftKey a couple times.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5

Superjudge

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
Just had to reboot my phone for a fourth time because swiftkey fails to show and I get no access to any keyboard on any app. It feels like Jailbreaking all over again. :) I'm just going to use stock till they figure this out or maybe try swype.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Just had to reboot my phone for a fourth time because swiftkey fails to show and I get no access to any keyboard on any app. It feels like Jailbreaking all over again. :) I'm just going to use stock till they figure this out or maybe try swype.

Did you allow full access to your 3rd party keyboard?

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods