Not enough space to download iOS 8

Rube8514

Jan 1, 1970
Visit site
My phone is not allowing me to download iOS 8 due to only having 60 MB available.....how am I supposed to download it if you need like 4gb??

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I'm installing now. Using my Wife's phone. Almost done. Delete stuff! Apps, music. Move or upload photos to Dropbox or Box. You can get all that back. Even what you paid for you don't have to pay again.

WDavis4692

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
maybe one day apple will wake up and start adding SD card slots on their devices. Well, they don't have to because they can get away with not doing so - they know they can come up with fixed storage capacities and people will pay through the nose for it.

In the meantime an 128 GB sd card can expand a phone to almost 144-192 GB, plenty of storage for the most die-hard media enthusiast. Given the larger screen on the 6+, making it ideal for media devourers, an SD would be utterly ideal. Swappable batteries don't hurt, either.

One price you pay for thinness (the 6 and 6+ are so incredibly thin!) is you also get a smaller battery. The battery on the M8 or L1520 are *considerably* larger than the 6+ (and one of those is smaller albeit thicker! whereas the other is just a brick)

Les74

May 30, 2011
Visit site
maybe one day apple will wake up and start adding SD card slots on their devices. Well, they don't have to because they can get away with not doing so - they know they can come up with fixed storage capacities and people will pay through the nose for it.

Or you could just, ya know, stick with an Android device and not have to complain about it.

WDavis4692

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
Or you could just, ya know, stick with an Android device and not have to complain about it.

In this day and age, SD expandability is pretty standard and I think I make a valid point. For the record, I don't use an android device nor do I plan to do so. Why the snide reply? They could even consider models with 128 GB internal memory; that'd please the most die hard video/music enthusiast. You know, the guy with a mega collection.

I'm not a hater. I can see the 6+ looks great, I'm merely saying it's a damn shame they aren't taking full advantage of that large screen - perfect for media content - by augmenting the device with the ability to smack an SD card in.

There is no 'perfect phone'. Every device has its pluses and its minuses, so I could grab an android and have a whole new plethora of pros and cons, I do see lack of SD as irritating (and this thread further illustrates a scenario where an SD card would be a lovely thing to have!) and therefore telling someone they should change their entire device infrastructure to android on the basis that they are dismayed by lack of SD slot is quite frankly a bit harsh, don't you think?

When we buy products in life we weigh pros and cons and try to come to a compromise and I do not intent to change *everything*, ecosystem, UI, etc, etc, simply based on one single perfectly valid and harmless point of criticism. Would it not be better if one's favourite device were even better instead?

Last edited:

michikade

Sep 15, 2014
Visit site
The SD card thing is great...

Until the day that the SD slot quits and cripples your phone.

I'm not saying the technology is bad, just that internal drives are a bit more stable. I have on MANY occasions wished I had a SD slot on my iPad to lighten the load. But then I remember how many devices I've had that ended up having the slot die or the SD card getting corrupt after a while.

Sent from my gracefully aging iPad 2 with iOS 8.0 using Tapatalk

xandrik

Mar 20, 2012
Visit site
In this day and age, SD expandability is pretty standard and I think I make a valid point. For the record, I don't use an android device nor do I plan to do so. Why the snide reply? They could even consider models with 128 GB internal memory; that'd please the most die hard video/music enthusiast. You know, the guy with a mega collection.

I'm not a hater. I can see the 6+ looks great, I'm merely saying it's a damn shame they aren't taking full advantage of that large screen - perfect for media content - by augmenting the device with the ability to smack an SD card in.

There is no 'perfect phone'. Every device has its pluses and its minuses, so I could grab an android and have a whole new plethora of pros and cons, I do see lack of SD as irritating (and this thread further illustrates a scenario where an SD card would be a lovely thing to have!) and therefore telling someone they should change their entire device infrastructure to android on the basis that they are dismayed by lack of SD slot is quite frankly a bit harsh, don't you think?

When we buy products in life we weigh pros and cons and try to come to a compromise and I do not intent to change *everything*, ecosystem, UI, etc, etc, simply based on one single perfectly valid and harmless point of criticism. Would it not be better if one's favourite device were even better instead?

I think you're spot on. I've had an iPhone done the first one. I'd love the option.

substring

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Actually, your iOS devices can read SD card using the lightning adaptor. It is pretty straight-forward. I have been using that to add or remove photos from my iPad 4.

Les74

May 30, 2011
Visit site

SD expandability may be the "standard," but when has Apple ever been the standard? Point being, if you want that feature, then go elsewhere instead of whining about wanting it on a phone that for all intents and purposes, will probably never have it.

mbarrett635

Sep 21, 2014
Visit site
How do I delete music and sync it back? I can't find any way to delete it from iTunes on my iPhone, and of course if I delete it from iTunes on my computer, it's gone for good.

Chrisy

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
How do I delete music and sync it back? I can't find any way to delete it from iTunes on my iPhone, and of course if I delete it from iTunes on my computer, it's gone for good.

I just deleted all music from my device yesterday.

1. Connect device to iTunes
2. Go to Music Tab and uncheck SYNC
3. It will tell you that all music will be deleted from your device. (This won't remove the music from iTunes)
4. Then to add the music back once youre done the OS upgrade, connect your device to iTunes and check the SYNC all music. It will add it back to the device.

TomDuke67

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site
To all of you having problem getting enough space to upgrade to iOS 8.

Try the app Optimal Image and follow these simple steps.
1. Download the app Optimal Image
2. Optimize your photos and videos
3. Back up the originals to your computer
4. Save ~ 90% of your Camera Roll

This will definitely save space AND you will still have all your photos and videos in your phone.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
To all of you having problem getting enough space to upgrade to iOS 8.

Try the app Optimal Image and follow these simple steps.
1. Download the app Optimal Image
2. Optimize your photos and videos
3. Back up the originals to your computer
4. Save ~ 90% of your Camera Roll

This will definitely save space AND you will still have all your photos and videos in your phone.

In the description section for the aforementioned app in the App Store, it states, "To save space, simply back up your originals to your computer and delete them from your device". Is that not what many of the replies before yours were saying? :)

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site

In the meantime an 128 GB sd card can expand a phone to almost 144-192 GB, plenty of storage for the most die-hard media enthusiast. Given the larger screen on the 6+, making it ideal for media devourers, an SD would be utterly ideal. Swappable batteries don't hurt, either.

One price you pay for thinness (the 6 and 6+ are so incredibly thin!) is you also get a smaller battery. The battery on the M8 or L1520 are *considerably* larger than the 6+ (and one of those is smaller albeit thicker! whereas the other is just a brick)

Apple will add an micro SD card slot to iPhone at the same time they add that annoying LED notification thing. Not. Going. To. Happen.

WDavis4692

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
Les74 said:
SD expandability may be the "standard," but when has Apple ever been the standard? Point being, if you want that feature, then go elsewhere instead of whining about wanting it on a phone that for all intents and purposes, will probably never have it.

I wasn't whining (complain in a feeble or petulant way.). I was maturely discussing why I think it's a silly thing to omit from a device 'for the sake of being substandard'. So far, all of your replies have been really curt and, quite frankly I think you're a completely rude person.

If my logical rationality why an SD card is a somewhat odd omission from a 5.5-inch displayed phone matches the aforementioned definition of whining (feeble/petulant) then I think you need a head check.

So I said negative things about your favourite brand. Grow up and get over it. I get the impression you're more focused on simply shooting people down, than you are showing them any modicum of manners. I'm a person too, yet until now I hadn't accused you of whining or anything negative, had I?

And I'm sure you have your own negative points about devices you own or use, yes? How would you like it, if, at the slightest utterance of discontent, I appeared to tell you to stop whining? Who is the true whiner, the one who makes the logical argument, or the one who appears to tell the other to quit whining and leave if they don't like it?

HankAZ said:
Apple will add an micro SD card slot to iPhone at the same time they add that annoying LED notification thing. Not. Going. To. Happen.

You know, I heard the same said regarding screen size, now look where we are. Steve Jobs was always the one who shot down the 'standard' ideas proposed by his colleagues. The one with the true vision. Now he's gone, don't for a minute think Apple will not - over time - cave in to certain mass-market standards. In this day and age, they can only go so far without including features other manufacturers take for advantage before it becomes completely non-viable to omit such things. A case and point example is screen-size. Jobs would never have allowed a 5.5-inch iPhone to reach market. NEVER. Yet here we are. So to presume expandable memory is not a possibility is a bit presumptuous.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro