I'm sure most can admit that there has always been a certain amount of hype surrounding the iphone with multiple millions having one just to be able to say they have an iphone.

The iphone is OK. It does what a modern smarthphone is supposed to do. My girlfriend has one and I have no problems giving it back to her, dont have to pry it out of my hands or anything like that. But for the things I do the most my pre2 does it better
    Hype can just as easily be described as excitement. Customers feel excited which causes the media to react which causes more excitement. In comes Apple's marketing which is excellent as promoting its products as any company WANTING to sell its products should be, and very unlike the other company at the heart of this thread, which can't find its marketing department or its message as to who its customers are. So hype? Could just as easily call it excitement as a reflection of its customer base.

Now, as to your statement regarding the multiple millions who presumably buy iPhones just to be able to say they've got an iPhone......I left high school over a quarter of a century ago. I buy what I want, wear the clothes I want, cut my hair super short because it freed me, don't accept anyone telling me what to do, and generally give as good as I get. I get iPhones because they do what I want them to do FOR ME. I don't care one flying fig what anyone thinks of what I've got, what I use, what I buy, what I wear. So no.....I don't buy iPhones because millions do. And I am completely certain that I am not unique.

So there goes that theory as to iPhone's popularity.

Now....why do you feel the need to offer up an opinion as to your girlfriend's iPhone? You don't like it.....fine. Who cares? I don't like the little Motorola phones. Who cares? My significant other won't be caught dead with anything other than a Blackberry. Who cares? Each person is different. Each should use what they like without the judgement, posturing, trolling, insults.

There is so much going wrong in the world. Do we really need to antagonise and provoke and insult and attack each other over PHONES?!???

Sent from my AWESOME 64G gold iPhone 5s
    jdhooghe likes this.
    09-08-2014 04:43 AM
    Sorry. I was just pointing out that success (and failure) has as much to do with intangibles such as luck, hype, marketing,being in the right place, being first out the gate and such things and is not solely based on merit. The iphone is OK, they got a bigger phone coming out, I can just imagine the lines, they gonna be twice as rich probly, good for them
    boovish and kataran like this.
    09-08-2014 06:19 AM
    I simply wanted to make a discussion point, not cause outrage

Posted via the iMore App for Android on BlackBerry
    Really? Because your original post sure says otherwise.
    09-08-2014 06:51 AM
    Sorry. I was just pointing out that success (and failure) has as much to do with intangibles such as luck, hype, marketing,being in the right place, being first out the gate and such things and is not solely based on merit. The iphone is OK, they got a bigger phone coming out, I can just imagine the lines, they gonna be twice as rich probly, good for them
    Perhaps. Luck would work as a one-off. Hype would work as a one-off. Marketing would work for initial purchase but not for return purchases and certainly marketing could not prevent phone returns if the device doesn't work. Being in the right place is certainly a factor, but that can only account for the launch of something and not after several years of growth. Being first out the gate can only happen once. When looking at the points you raised, given the fact that the iPhone has grown year over year and has increased in popularity year over year and is the number one OEM in the U.S., I would say that nothing is left except merit.
    That some don't like iPhones is true. That some prefer other platforms is true. But to dismiss the iPhone's place in the smartphone world as luck, first out of the gate, fashion, hype, etc is illogical at best and disingenuous at worst. Remember the "you can fool some of the people all of the time etc etc etc" line? Well, then, it is unreasonable, illogical, and blind to dismiss the iPhone as a "happening" with no substance.
    Say you don't like the iPhone....sure, no problem. But lucky hype whose success is due to marketing with so real substance and being first out of the gate, seven years out? No. That is illogical.
    Beyond Fire likes this.
    09-08-2014 08:56 AM
    I'm sure most can admit that there has always been a certain amount of hype surrounding the iphone with multiple millions having one just to be able to say they have an iphone.

The iphone is OK. It does what a modern smarthphone is supposed to do. My girlfriend has one and I have no problems giving it back to her, dont have to pry it out of my hands or anything like that. But for the things I do the most my pre2 does it better
    There's nothing wrong with that. No device is for "everyone", but almost everyone favors a particular device. To each his or her own is how I see it...
    A895 likes this.
    09-08-2014 09:14 AM
    Why would I be joking? Do you see how many posts I have on webOS Nation?
    Those that don't know or care how much webOS contributed to the current state of mobile OSes should at least give it a little respect

As a daily user of an HP Touchpad and a webOSNation follower I miss the glory days of the fluent interface I enjoy with my tablet

I'm also very pleased with the way Apple has implemented many of the key features that work so well with iOS and will continue in iOS 8

It's a Win Win for all Consumers
    09-08-2014 09:24 AM
    Those that don't know or care how much webOS contributed to the current state of mobile OSes should at least give it a little respect

As a daily user of an HP Touchpad and a webOSNation follower I miss the glory days of the fluent interface I enjoy with my tablet

I'm also very pleased with the way Apple has implemented many of the key features that work so well with iOS and will continue in iOS 8

It's a Win Win for all Consumers
    and that's the key, isn't it? That it doesn't matter who created what, unless you are the creator. What matters is that each innovation and new approach to something pushes tech forward. And that's to ALL our benefit.
    kataran and A895 like this.
    09-08-2014 09:33 AM
    I have no idea how iOS8 compares to BB10 and as far as who copies whom they all do it as I understand to some extent but as a BBRY fan all I can say is that if IOS copied any features from BlackBerry well imitation is the highest form of flattery so from that perspective BlackBerry should be flattered and find a way to improve even more. For example the opposite may be true in the upcoming release of BB10.3 BlackBerry apparently dropped their "touch anywhere" to take a picture and adopted the more conventional "touch here" to take a picture approach. Personally I like the current way but more people are familiar with the iOS way and it looks like BlackBerry will go that way too. Such is life.
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    09-08-2014 10:52 AM
    I have no idea how iOS8 compares to BB10 and as far as who copies whom they all do it as I understand to some extent but as a BBRY fan all I can say is that if IOS copied any features from BlackBerry well imitation is the highest form of flattery so from that perspective BlackBerry should be flattered and find a way to improve even more. For example the opposite may be true in the upcoming release of BB10.3 BlackBerry apparently dropped their "touch anywhere" to take a picture and adopted the more conventional "touch here" to take a picture approach. Personally I like the current way but more people are familiar with the iOS way and it looks like BlackBerry will go that way too. Such is life.
    Very true. One would hope that WebOS would be very flattered that BlackBerry chose their OS when they decided to create BB10, which was arguably BlackBerry's greatest gamble. As I said earlier, it was lucky for BlackBerry that WebOS didn't choose to sue them for copying WebOS. We would not have BB10 without WebOS.
    09-08-2014 12:46 PM
    Saw someone with a BlackBerry, wait was that an iPhone? Na can't be using all if the features that I have, gesture based, reply from the toast notifications.....no! it's a dev ios8! Innovation people!

Posted via the iMore App for Android
    k
    09-08-2014 01:42 PM
    Very true. One would hope that WebOS would be very flattered that BlackBerry chose their OS when they decided to create BB10, which was arguably BlackBerry's greatest gamble. As I said earlier, it was lucky for BlackBerry that WebOS didn't choose to sue them for copying WebOS. We would not have BB10 without WebOS.
    I have no experience with WebOS so I cannot comment on that directly but I agree that I'm not including/suggesting copyright or patent infringement is okay. I assume many things do not fall into that category. Eg. to have an SD card slot or not have an SD card slot would not be an infringement or to have Bluetooth or not have Bluetooth etc.. (granted each company may have to pay another company for the privilege etc..)
    09-08-2014 03:33 PM
    I have no experience with WebOS so I cannot comment on that directly but I agree that I'm not including/suggesting copyright or patent infringement is okay. I assume many things do not fall into that category. Eg. to have an SD card slot or not have an SD card slot would not be an infringement or to have Bluetooth or not have Bluetooth etc.. (granted each company may have to pay another company for the privilege etc..)
    Tech has evolved so much that by this time the leading companies are all doing the same thing and the difference is really in the nuances of execution. Of those, I prefer Apple's execution since I have not had one single problem with one single iPhone, which runs contrary to the flawed execution in lines such as the 99xx series which bricked and nuked or the rebooting Z10. Both of these happened to me.

Beyond that, I'm not sure where the next innovative leap will be. Hub vs notification centre is simply a difference in execution - notification. BB10 has the Hub which is a much touted feature. I don't find it improves my daily life. Apple has the App Store. I find that improves my daily life a great deal. So these nuances in execution make a difference for me in what device I use.
    A895 likes this.
    09-08-2014 04:53 PM
    The title of this thread literally cracked me up! ROFL
    For the last time this is not my title, also let me clear this up I ment it to be a discussion point, I may have come across mad?

09-08-2014 06:56 PM
    For the last time this is not my title, also let me clear this up I ment it to be a discussion point, I may have come across mad?

The title was changed. We get that.

Now...we've been discussing everything that went on after this post:

Saw someone with a BlackBerry, wait was that an iPhone? Na can't be using all if the features that I have, gesture based, reply from the toast notifications.....no! it's a dev ios8! Innovation people!

Posted via the iMore App for Android
    What was the intent of this post? It reads quite provocative. And it has, by now, been shown quite conclusively that BlackBerry copied from WebOS.
    Les74 and A895 like this.
    09-08-2014 07:18 PM
    The title was changed. We get that.

Now...we've been discussing everything that went on after this post:

What was the intent of this post? It reads quite provocative. And it has, by now, been shown quite conclusively that BlackBerry copied from WebOS.
    The OP wanted someone to call the police on Apple.
    A895 likes this.
    09-08-2014 07:35 PM

Why do I get the feeling that you're not really annoyed? I've clearly stated a while ago that --> I <-- changed the thread title and explained why I changed it. Therefore, for you to pick a specific post that pokes fun at the title and ignoring all of the other posts therein after knowing that I told everyone that I changed it is suspect.
    A895 likes this.
    09-08-2014 07:37 PM
    Just close this please?

09-08-2014 09:08 PM
67 123