Does iOS 8 finally introduce a data cap option similar to what android offers?

projectman

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
Verizon alerts at 50%, 75% and 90% data usage. But I too use data intensive apps and other usage for wifi. When away from wifi, I do little other than talking or a few texts.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5

My daughter received a text from AT&T on a Sunday afternoon that she had reached 75% of her data limit. Thirty minutes later she received a text from AT&T telling her she had exceeded her data limit. Too little too late and delayed... I would like to have an app that keeps track in real time or a data cap that can be implemented on the device. I DO NOT trust the carriers.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
That's exactly what I use. Just a tap away. Same tap people make hundreds of times a day to look at Facebook, Instagram, and SnapCrap
My problem stems from 2 others on my Verizon service. My 27 yr old son in particular. He uses a lot more data than the rest of us, even though he has wifi. So a text alert is convenient. The amount used can change quickly and at any time. I do check my Verizon app. But the text is a good heads up, especially if it's at 90%.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
My problem stems from 2 others on my Verizon service. My 27 yr old son in particular. He uses a lot more data than the rest of us, even though he has wifi. So a text alert is convenient. The amount used can change quickly and at any time. I do check my Verizon app. But the text is a good heads up, especially if it's at 90%.

Yeah, that is understandable. I'm considering adding my girlfriend to my 10GB plan when she upgrades to the iPhone 6, but part of me doesn't want to because I like the freedom of using those 10 gigs to just myself.

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
More control over your data usage is never a bad thing, IMHO

Oh absolutely. But why put a third party in the middle of the information stream? What I've found is that the most direct route is usually the best. So I use my carrier's own app which is directly on my phone.

By the way AT&T has the option to cap services right on their app. I can't post that because it's got my info. But it's there.

I should add you can search it, it's called Smart Limits.

Last edited:

kd7irm

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Verizon has some services that will alert you about data that I use and love but their service that is supposed to limit data once a user meets a preset threshold is week at best on a family share data block. It seems to spend more time being confused about wether a 2gig cap per line is per line or for all devices. Sadly I've never been able to get the service to work properly. 5 iPads and 4 iPhone on shared 30 gigabytes is barely manageable all by my lonesome. :(

Paradocks

May 5, 2012
Visit site
I wonder if iOS 8 will allow widgets on the notification screen like below to show current data usage:
1a1e6dea0a95fc49a834ec86809bf404.jpg

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73