Why I will always use iOS:

the_tech_eater

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
u8etujag.jpg

AAA1337

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, that's why I love iOS too. Yesterday my friend mentioned how Facebook somehow knows all the apps on his Nexus and asks him to like their FB pages and rate them. I mentioned the recent uproar over what their Terms and Permissions says, and then asked why they don't just revoke Facebook's permissions.

Every single guy in the room looked at me like I just said I'd been to Mars or something.

Now, I don't know whether it actually is impossible to control app permissions, or whether my friends were just unaware. Google is turning up conflicting reports, some saying it has an absolutely broken system, others saying it has no system at all.either way it's hilarious to see the uproar over something that barely even worries me.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums

Last edited:

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Location settings don't worry me. I'm more concerned with apps that have my information in some form or another. I use an app called MyPermissions. It shows which apps have what information. When I first used this app I discovered there were apps I had long ago deleted that still had access to some of my personal info. I revoked access for those. I find apps that show up in Facebook that I did not give permission. I revoked those. It's an interesting app and an eye opener.
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/mypermissions-online-privacy/id535720736?mt=8&at=10l3Vy

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407806663.006137.jpg

the_tech_eater

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
Location settings don't worry me. I'm more concerned with apps that have my information in some form or another. I use an app called MyPermissions. It shows which apps have what information. When I first used this app I discovered there were apps I had long ago deleted that still had access to some of my personal info. I revoked access for those. I find apps that show up in Facebook that I did not give permission. I revoked those. It's an interesting app and an eye opener.
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/mypermissions-online-privacy/id535720736?mt=8&at=10l3Vy

View attachment 62589

Thanks for sharing!

AAA1337

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site

View attachment 62589

I'm curious, how does this work? Apple does not natively offer support to change any of the privacy settings other than the ones under Settings > Privacy, and I thought no App Store app is allowed to change OS-level settings.

How is this app capable of blocking other apps from accessing other apps, and how is revoking access to settings that Apple does not give you any option to disable in the first place?

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I'm curious, how does this work? Apple does not natively offer support to change any of the privacy settings other than the ones under Settings > Privacy, and I thought no App Store app is allowed to change OS-level settings.

How is this app capable of blocking other apps from accessing other apps, and how is revoking access to settings that Apple does not give you any option to disable in the first place?
It can revoke access to stuff like log in info and other personal info those apps may have. You authorize it. They don't do anything without your ok. It is, after all, your personal info. I'd rather some long ago deleted app not have my email address. It may be why I get so much email spam. We tend to forget the information some apps ask for. It's mostly Google and Facebook. I've given Documents 5 permission to access my Dropbox account. I can revoke that if I choose to.

AAA1337

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
It can revoke access to stuff like log in info and other personal info those apps may have. You authorize it. They don't do anything without your ok. It is, after all, your personal info. I'd rather some long ago deleted app not have my email address. It may be why I get so much email spam. We tend to forget the information some apps ask for. It's mostly Google and Facebook. I've given Documents 5 permission to access my Dropbox account. I can revoke that if I choose to.

Oh that's actually cool. I'll give this app a try. I download so much junk, I don't know how many apps have my info to sell, if this can revoke all my login info, I'll be happy.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
22 apps have access to my Twitter account. GEEZ! One I've never heard of. Googled it, and it seems harmless. C-Span's DebateHub. ?

HAWK

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
Technology is making us paranoid people. Not just a made up thing either. Read an interesting article the other day that cell phones, computers actually lower testosterone in males, and heighten anxiety in both male and females. Whether that's true or not who knows... I can see re testosterone thing being true as men are spending less time doing manly things and more time on their cell phones and tablets.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
Technology is making us paranoid people. Not just a made up thing either. Read an interesting article the other day that cell phones, computers actually lower testosterone in males, and heighten anxiety in both male and females. Whether that's true or not who knows... I can see re testosterone thing being true as men are spending less time doing manly things and more time on their cell phones and tablets.

I'm afraid to believe this as truth but am compelled to believe it some how

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR