Will Continuity Be Device Specific?

Ventus221

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I was wondering if the MMS and SMS stuff including Handoff, will be device specific like ipad air only or Bluetooth 4.0 only becauae I have an iPad 3 and i am looking forward to these features on ios 8 and I hope i dont need an upgrade to use them.

linsiris

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Good question, I'm sure you are not the only one wondering. Chances are it will have a device cut-off due to technical and hardware limitation on older devices, like Apple has done many times before.

But I'm not sure which devices will get what.

Flow39

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
I'd assume they'd still support any device with Bluetooth 3.0 and above, because so many devices they've made, but this is just my 2 cents :)

acerace113

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
As far as I know continuity will require Bluetooth 4.0 LE which means only the iPad 2 won't be supported. So the supported iOS devices would be; iPhone 4S/5/5S, iPad 3/4/Air, iPad mini 1/2, iPod touch 5.

klcrow8690

Sep 19, 2010
Visit site
SMS & MMS relay to other devices should work just fine on the older ones without Bluetooth LE. It's done over Wifi, though if you don't have an iPhone (say you have a Mac and a cellular iPad), you will be stuck on iMessage.

reversalagent

Jun 4, 2013
Visit site
Ok, sorry if this has been covered, but I want to be sure. I currently do not have an iphone, but looking to change to one now (either 5s or 6). I have an ipad air now though. I DO NOT have a mac computer. But, can SMS/MMS from non-iphone users sync to the iphone/ipad in this type of setup? Is that my understanding of how this will work? It is not completely clear on Apple's website.