Hi all. I'm getting ready to install iOS 8 beta 4 on my 5s, and I have a question: I did an iCloud backup, can I restore after I update and have all my apps and settings (email, iMessage, etc) back, or am I starting from scratch like it's a new phone and hafta add everything back manually?

Sent from my iPad using iMore Forums app
    07-22-2014 11:31 PM
  2. HankAZ said: Best Answer

Hi all. I'm getting ready to install iOS 8 beta 4 on my 5s, and I have a question: I did an iCloud backup, can I restore after I update and have all my apps and settings (email, iMessage, etc) back, or am I starting from scratch like it's a new phone and hafta add everything back manually?

You should be able to restore an iOS 7.x backup made to your computer onto a phone running iOS 8 betas. You cannot, however, go the other way. (actually you can, but it’s a rather convoluted process to get there).

Backup and Restore

Known Issue: A restoration of an iCloud backup onto the same device the backup was taken from may not work properly. It may result in crashes of some apps.

Workaround: If you want to completely wipe the data from a device and restore it, use iTunes to backup and restore instead of iCloud.

You can restore from iCloud but in the beta 4 thread I read that there's been a problem when doing so. I would recommend backing up to iTunes then restoring from there once you install beta 4.

Carried by a raven from the Wall.
    07-23-2014 12:44 AM

You should be able to restore an iOS 7.x backup made to your computer onto a phone running iOS 8 betas. You cannot, however, go the other way. (actually you can, but it’s a rather convoluted process to get there).

Backup and Restore

Known Issue: A restoration of an iCloud backup onto the same device the backup was taken from may not work properly. It may result in crashes of some apps.

Workaround: If you want to completely wipe the data from a device and restore it, use iTunes to backup and restore instead of iCloud.
    07-23-2014 12:45 AM
    Thanks for the replies, guys. I just want to clarify to make sure we're on the same page...so I'm installing iOS 8 beta 4. It's like a new device, none of my apps, settings, etc, are there. If I do a restore of the iOS 7.1.2 backup I made, will it add all my apps and settings to the iOS 8 beta, or do I need to download all the apps, and set all that stuff manually?

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums
    07-23-2014 02:59 PM
    Thanks for the replies, guys. I just want to clarify to make sure we're on the same page...so I'm installing iOS 8 beta 4. It's like a new device, none of my apps, settings, etc, are there. If I do a restore of the iOS 7.1.2 backup I made, will it add all my apps and settings to the iOS 8 beta, or do I need to download all the apps, and set all that stuff manually?

Most of the time yes. By installing the beta and then soon a restore of an iOS 7 backup you would get your apps and settings back.
    BUT beta 4 is different. Apple has disclosed a known problem with restoring from an iCloud backup. So you can either install the beta and set up everything yourself or if you have an iTunes backup (rather than iCloud) you can use that to get your apps and settings back.
    07-23-2014 03:03 PM
    Thank you for the confirmation!

07-23-2014 03:14 PM
    One recommendation - try a fresh install instead of restoring from a backup.
    07-24-2014 09:01 AM
    I've never had luck with restoring from backup on iOS 8 even in the previous betas. I've always pressed shift+update rather than shift+restore. I get all of my settings from iOS 7 and apps. No problems at all. Just make sure you do a manual backup to iTunes because you can't use a backup from iOS 8 on iOS 7 when using iCloud backup. If anything goes wrong just restore back to iOS 7 using the backup in iTunes.

Just_Me_D likes this.
    07-25-2014 02:17 AM
    I think I read that this is fixed in beta 5?

08-12-2014 09:28 PM