Car bluetooth, Siri, and incoming text messages

air2liquid

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Curious if anyone has noticed this behavior (I'm not on dev preview, or I'd check it myself ;))

1. Get in car, connect iPhone to bluetooth car stereo
2. Receive incoming text message

Does the phone either:

1. Announce over the car stereo that you have a new message and if you want to read it then reply and all that (all Siri powered)
2. Simply ding and go silent.

Really, REALLY want #1 to work. My Windows Phone has this feature and it's indispensable. So if someone could check that for me, that'd be great! Thanks.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
In "my" car, I hear the notification alert over the speakers, but not all the time. I can press the voice option on my steering wheel, and although it sounds like Siri, it is not and will not read the message to me. But if I press and hold the Home key on my device, I can hear Siri over the speakers and then have it read the message to me, and I do hear it over the speakers.

air2liquid

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
In "my" car, I hear the notification alert over the speakers, but not all the time. I can press the voice option on my steering wheel, and although it sounds like Siri, it is not and will not read the message to me. But if I press and hold the Home key on my device, I can hear Siri over the speakers and then have it read the message to me, and I do hear it over the speakers.

Yea, that's how my Ford Sync system works. Not how I want it to work though, haha

iknrisms

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site
Hmm not sure if you're looking for the same thing but a workaround is using "Hey, Siri" when your device is charging and asking it to read your last message. It's hands-free use, you just have to do a few more steps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

air2liquid

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Hmm not sure if you're looking for the same thing but a workaround is using "Hey, Siri" when your device is charging and asking it to read your last message. It's hands-free use, you just have to do a few more steps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yea, that's better than it's been right now. I still want the automatic prompting of the incoming message though... maybe I'll submit a tip to Apple ;)

Michael Patterson5

Oct 12, 2014
Visit site
Today I have experimented with this. The other day I went from Windows Phone to iPhone. When you are in the car, connected with bluetooth, and a new message is received, it will only sent an alert to your phone. When you are aware that a text message has arrived, you can then press the start button on your phone. Sirri will then talk to you through the radio and you can say "play message." The Sirri will play the message to you through the car sound system. After the message is heard you can reply and it will then be sent to the receiving part as text.

etlahrs

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I know this is an old post, but I also have a Windows phone and love having the ability to have my new messages read to me over Bluetooth while driving and being able to reply back all while never having to take my phone from my pocket. Does IOS have this ability? Or do you still need to activate Siri to do this? Having this ability is really the main reason I stay with Windows phone.

Thanks

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73