Does anyone else notice when using icloud photo, it seems photos are still being stored locally. I was under the impression that when using iCloud photo, most of the photos if not all would be stored in icloud. Is this because we are still in beta? Would that have anything to do with it?

Sent from my iPhone 5 using iMore Forums
    06-26-2014 11:25 PM
    Does anyone else notice when using icloud photo, it seems photos are still being stored locally. I was under the impression that when using iCloud photo, most of the photos if not all would be stored in icloud. Is this because we are still in beta? Would that have anything to do with it?

Oh wow I would want them in both. Backed up to iCloud but present on my device.

Is that not the intent on iOS8?
    06-27-2014 05:46 AM
    Well that is currently how it is in ios 7 with photo stream. Isn't the whole point of icloud photo to save storage on the phone while being able to access on your iOS devices? Maybe it's just too soon to tell..

06-27-2014 11:56 AM
    There is no way that the feature intends to not store any photos on the phone so that you can't even view a picture you took 10 minutes ago if you get offline or lose connection. It's intended to backup your photos, not replace local storage even for recent photos.
    06-27-2014 02:48 PM
    From Apple:

Fill your library, not your device.

iCloud Photo Library helps you make the most of the space available on your iOS device, so you can spend more time shooting pictures and less time managing them. It can automatically keep the original high-resolution photos and videos in iCloud and leave behind lightweight versions that are perfectly sized for each device. You get 5GB of iCloud storage free, and other storage plans will start at $0.99 per month.
    Anthonyiamador and Just_Me_D like this.
    06-27-2014 02:55 PM
    From Apple:
    Thanks that pretty much cleared it up!

06-27-2014 03:21 PM
    I believe what John posted will be the new way that iCloud stores photos in the cloud and on the device once iOS 8 is public. I think that currently Photo Stream keeps a copy of the same resolution photo. I could be wrong.
    06-27-2014 04:59 PM
    I believe what John posted will be the new way that iCloud stores photos in the cloud and on the device once iOS 8 is public. I think that currently Photo Stream keeps a copy of the same resolution photo. I could be wrong.
    Aren't photos only kept on photo stream for 30 days? I thought photo stream was for streaming photos between devices, not for storage. Am I wrong? Or missing something? LOL

Sent from from my iPhone 5
    06-27-2014 05:10 PM
    Aren't photos only kept on photo stream for 30 days? I thought photo stream was for streaming photos between devices, not for storage. Am I wrong? Or missing something? LOL

Sent from from my iPhone 5
    In spite of how long photos are kept there, they will take up local storage space on your device if you turn it on. You can make a case that that some people use Photo Stream as a temporary storage option.
    06-27-2014 06:22 PM