iOS 8, beta 1 Multitask Favorites/Recents

iknrisms

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site
Does anyone else hate the contact bubbles that appear at the top of the app-switcher screen? They are God awful and really I find no use for them.

What are your thoughts?? Also, does anyone know if this can be switched off?

Sent from my Space Grey iPhone 5S using Tapatalk

austriak

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
I am not a big fan but can live with it. I could be wrong, but it seems like the multitask screen pulls up faster with iOS 8, which is nice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Does it only show "recents"?

When you double tap the home button, you see the Task Switcher screen. Across the top are a list of circular icons with contact’s photos or initials. The initial display shows seven "recents" across the screen from left to right of the most recent 7 contacts with whom you have interacted (text or phone call). You are actually only able to see about 4 ? icons, but you can scroll to the right to see the remaining “recents”.

However, if you scroll left from that initial screen, you see the “favorites". There are actually 10 icons representing your favorites. The thing that I don’t like is that when you scroll left from the initial screen, and away from the “recents”, the “favorites" are in reverse order - meaning that the right-most in the “favorite" row is actually the TOP/FIRST favorite in your list. Scrolling farther to the left effectively takes you “down” your the list of favorites in the order they appear in the phone app. I would prefer them to be listed LEFT to RIGHT representing TOP to BOTTOM. But I can see how it might be a usability thing - scrolling away from the center point.

The neat thing about these icons is that they are links to the contact. When you tap one, you get an expanded horizontal “menu” (for lack of a better term) with actionable icons for phone calls to each phone number listed in the contact profile (home, work, mobile, etc); an icon representing a text message and another icon representing FaceTime, if that’s appropriate).

Hopefully I described it well enough.

Last edited:

gazoo2010

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
I like it. Has come in handy for sending a quick message to a frequent contact.... Not really intrusive since its on the multitasking......

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
The thing that I don’t like is that when you scroll left from the initial screen, and away from the “recents”, the “favorites" are in reverse order - meaning that the right-most in the “favorite" row is actually the TOP/FIRST favorite in your list. Scrolling farther to the left effectively takes you “down” your the list of favorites in the order they appear in the phone app. I would prefer them to be listed LEFT to RIGHT representing TOP to BOTTOM. But I can see how it might be a usability thing - scrolling away from the center point.

It doesn't bother me as much but I do like how it shows right to left as meaning top to bottom since that's where the scrolling starts. I think it would drive me nuts if I had to scroll all the way left to see my first favorite

Good OL MC

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
I'm excited to try it and I admit to liking it almost only because it looks cool in demo. I'm just not sure it will actually be practical or useful. Sort of like the tabs in Notification Center.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
It doesn't bother me as much but I do like how it shows right to left as meaning top to bottom since that's where the scrolling starts. I think it would drive me nuts if I had to scroll all the way left to see my first favorite

After a week, I am used to how it works. Still prefer it to work the other way, but I can live with it this way, too.