I'm a die hard Apple fan, just that..

bobbob1016

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
Jailbreak Me was able to be used because of an issue with PDF rendering on a couple versions of iOS. It was fixed in an iOS update.

Right, my bad, I took it as read that as it was from iOS 4.3.x it would have been waaaaay since fixed. Just that was an "exploit" that admittedly didn't get into the wild as it was fixed quickly, but it did happen, and *could* have been exploited to install things apart from Cydia.

Wow! I totally missed that scam. And I have AT&T.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums

Yeah, happened with my "factory unlocked"* iPhone 4S that I had on TMobile. Once they became official "Whoa, I get 4G now?" :-/

*edit

anon(52425)

Mar 1, 2009
Visit site
View attachment 57858
To be honest, i love Apple products very much. Over the years, i've own several iPhones, iPods and iPads. The WWDC 2014 event presentation was amazing. Just that i didn't like the part when they put down Android for having such a low percentage of users running their latest software, KitKat at 9% compared IOS 7, which has an impressive 89% adoption. I mean, why put down your rival this way? What kind of marketing tactic is this? Or are you afraid Android will overtake you someday? I'm dissapointed at Apple for this. \:

Sent from my iPhone 5s using iMore Forums

Android is a pile. None of what Cook said surprised me.

Armada

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
Agreed!! In 2012 prior to owning an iPhone I had an Evo 3D running gingerbread. Its pretty sad that 2 years later people are still running it and it wasn't even new in 2012.

But they're not. Most are running Jelly Bean, which is 4.1 to 4.3 combined. Even just looking at 4.1 it's larger than 2.3 by and large. Google is also able to roll out many API changes outside of an OS update as well, these days. It's not as bad of a situation as many forums and, *ahem*, "journalists" would lead you to believe.

It could absolutely be better but it is far, far better for both users and developers than it has been in the past. This isn't Google's fault, the OEMs don't have Apple's clout when it comes to updates, and they love their death grip. The other fault is the chipset manufacturers dropping support for their boards in order to push new silicon. And then there's just the feasibility of support old hardware (like the iPhone 4 being dropped for iOS 8). There's a lot of FUD and disinformation when it comes to Android updates, just thought I would share as someone fairly in the know.

Certainly, Apple does it better. Certainly, Google needs to push for longer and better support. Won't deny that, at least.

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
View attachment 57858
To be honest, i love Apple products very much. Over the years, i've own several iPhones, iPods and iPads. The WWDC 2014 event presentation was amazing. Just that i didn't like the part when they put down Android for having such a low percentage of users running their latest software, KitKat at 9% compared IOS 7, which has an impressive 89% adoption. I mean, why put down your rival this way? What kind of marketing tactic is this? Or are you afraid Android will overtake you someday? I'm dissapointed at Apple for this. \:

Curious, have you happened to watch any Samsung commercials over the last 3 years lol???

SprSynJn

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
Although I am not one for slinging mud either, that was a good business tactic in my opinion. They need to reassure developers that their product is worth developing for. What else to point out their competitors foibles?

lui22

Aug 26, 2011
Visit site
Its to show Apple's way of delivering The Next Big Thing. My Evo from 2010 had one major OS update. Gingerbread, and that was only months after release, no, wait days... My iPhone 4 from 2010 got 3 major OS updates, for three years.

Last edited:

melbsteve

Jun 23, 2013
Visit site
@OP: really, I'm impressed that Apple still manages to keep those jabs to a very tasteful minimum. Just looking at the anti-Apple PR the competition has been spreading over the years I'm still waiting for Apple to lash out and unleash their wrath and spitefulness Hulk style.... right, left and centre. (that's obviously what I would do. thankfully I'm not at the helm). I'd say one should rather give props to Apple for handling it so well than getting upset about those two slides/remarks on WWDC.

MDMcAtee

Jun 2, 2014
Visit site
Upset for pointing out a strength of the os in front of the world...really...

Gee..since when does a rival have to be so politically correct at their developers conference?

I despise the lack of frequent updates on the Android.......and have been burned in the past waiting for them to show up. Granted by rooting and custom roms it was tolerable,but then you would be stuck with works in progress all the time.

Getting back to the subject,I think he did exceptionally well showing just how bad it really is with Android without being too harsh.

If it upsets you to see real numbers about another platform being shown to motivate development of the ecosystem,change the channel,because the keynote presentations isn't to promote peace and harmony with a rival platform.It's to show this platforms strengths to those watching it whose talents are needed for it to remain a leader.

Mac

swarlos

Trusted Member
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Curious, have you happened to watch any Samsung commercials over the last 3 years lol???

They're attempts are just lame as crap! Man those commercials were so bad.

Carried by a raven from the Wall.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
View attachment 57858

You are disappointed in Apple stating facts? The point is that there is much more consistency across the iOS world. That?s a fact. It?s also true that developing apps for a single platform is much easier and quicker than having to tweak the app for multiple versions of the OS, as in the Android world. It?s also a fact that this statement was made to developers at a developer conference.

It?s not about fear of Android overtaking them. It?s about telling the truth do your developers at your developer conference. Pure and simple.

lui22

Aug 26, 2011
Visit site
You are disappointed in Apple stating facts? The point is that there is much more consistency across the iOS world. That’s a fact. It’s also true that developing apps for a single platform is much easier and quicker than having to tweak the app for multiple versions of the OS, as in the Android world. It’s also a fact that this statement was made to developers at a developer conference.

It’s not about fear of Android overtaking them. It’s about telling the truth do your developers at your developer conference. Pure and simple.

I have the flagship for each major OS except WindowsPhone. Im OS agnostic but I do have my favourite. One thing that Apple does great is keeping fragmentation to the minimum as much as possible. That is something only Apple can do, and do right.

Algus

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
I use a Note 3 that I've had since launch. Why is it that on my $800 flagship Android phone, I had to wait months to get KitKat.

I love Android but really that is ridiculous. That Apple is able to so tightly control their ecosystem is a point in their favor and they deserve to brag about it.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk

Blue Shift

Sep 26, 2013
Visit site
View attachment 57858

The problem isn't so much the percentage as far as I'm concerned, it's how divided the market is. It's almost as bad as BlackBerry. There could be 3, or 4 or 5 versions to try and develop for, for either of them. That's a nightmare for developers, and that's what this conference is about!

Dryland

Jul 10, 2009
Visit site
Remember this is a "developers" conference. The graphic and stats were to prove that iOS is easier for a developer because they really only have to worry about the latest software that everyone is using vs the 91% of devices in older hardware.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
But they're not. Most are running Jelly Bean, which is 4.1 to 4.3 combined. Even just looking at 4.1 it's larger than 2.3 by and large. Google is also able to roll out many API changes outside of an OS update as well, these days. It's not as bad of a situation as many forums and, *ahem*, "journalists" would lead you to believe.

It could absolutely be better but it is far, far better for both users and developers than it has been in the past. This isn't Google's fault, the OEMs don't have Apple's clout when it comes to updates, and they love their death grip. The other fault is the chipset manufacturers dropping support for their boards in order to push new silicon. And then there's just the feasibility of support old hardware (like the iPhone 4 being dropped for iOS 8). There's a lot of FUD and disinformation when it comes to Android updates, just thought I would share as someone fairly in the know.

Certainly, Apple does it better. Certainly, Google needs to push for longer and better support. Won't deny that, at least.

I'm not discrediting Google at all but most people I know with Android devices are running Gingerbread. That was the point of my post & it's very sad that the devices they have never got an update to Jelly Bean.

Armada

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
I'm not discrediting Google at all but most people I know with Android devices are running Gingerbread. That was the point of my post & it's very sad that the devices they have never got an update to Jelly Bean.

Well, that's anecdotal evidence, and, while true, doesn't at all represent the larger picture. For example, most people in my area are running at least Ice Cream Sandwich and it's surprising to see anyone running Gingerbread still. Totally different. That's why I chimed in, since we're in a thread about quoting statistics.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
Well, that's anecdotal evidence, and, while true, doesn't at all represent the larger picture. For example, most people in my area are running at least Ice Cream Sandwich and it's surprising to see anyone running Gingerbread still. Totally different. That's why I chimed in, since we're in a thread about quoting statistics.

I stated my opinion & I never said its a fact. I said its sad that "I" see so many people running Gingerbread & they should of gotten Jelly Bean. Dude get a grip & find something more important to be so serious about...Good Grief:talk-hand:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh