Download iOS 8 now or wait?

unstoppablekem

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I have a dev account, so I am able to download iOS 8 if I want. It looks cool, but I'm worried it will be extremely buggy, as it is the 1st beta. I beta tested the 2nd beta for iOS 7, as there was no Beta 1 for iPad, but it was a bit buggy as well. However, that was iOS 7, and it was extremely buggy, even after GM.

I have an iPad 3, so I'm wondering, should I get the iOS 8 Beta now, or wait for the next or Beta 3 build? Thanks.

Sent from my PlayStation 4 using Tapatalk

Vapor86

Jun 23, 2012
Visit site
I would wait. Maybe download it when the second beta comes out. I downloaded it yesterday and immediately went back to 7.1 The reason being I found it too be a little too buggy for my liking (which comes with the territory), battery drainage, apps not working, and all the new features aren't all working perfectly and there is no new significant features that would make me need to have it now.

acerace113

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
If you can wait then wait, I just installed it on my iPod touch and it's a bit buggy, a few resprings here and there but nothing major in my opinion.

Sent from my 5th gen iPod touch or iPhone 5S using Tapatalk

Rockdog97

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
If you have a Dev account, why are you waiting on another version? I thought the idea of having a dev account was to USE the beta programs and offer opinions or test the program, not sit there and wait for something better to come along. You are not using your dev account as it should be used... that's just my opinion... YMMV...

mrmarquis9

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
I say go ahead and download it I had it on my iphone for a hour it was great and most the apps worked! But sadly now I have to register my udid now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
If you're just installing it just to install it and want to file bug reports, then don't install it on something that is your daily driver. It has its bugs. No where near ready for primetime.

Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
There are plenty of apps that just don't work with iOS8.
So far, I have not run across any serious operational issues with the OS.
Battery life and other functions seem okay.

I think I might put it on my primary iPhone. I did put it on my primary iPad.
Depending on what 3rd party you rely on and whether they work with this beta might be a deciding factor.

I wont get on a dev soapbox, as the theory behind a dev acct went out the window a long time ago.

Rockdog97

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
Why did apple make the OS X beta available to the public & NOT the ios 8

Seriously? Could you imagine all the negative feedback that APPL would get if the general public was provided access to a beta program? As discussed in another thread, that would be a nightmare, not to mention how many app developers would get ripped because their apps wont work on a "beta" program.. Frankly I'm glad they dont release betas to the general public... there's already enough whinging going on with "developers" who test/install betas... we dont need any more.

Chris Cook5

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
Seriously? Could you imagine all the negative feedback that APPL would get if the general public was provided access to a beta program? As discussed in another thread, that would be a nightmare, not to mention how many app developers would get ripped because their apps wont work on a "beta" program.. Frankly I'm glad they dont release betas to the general public... there's already enough whinging going on with "developers" who test/install betas... we dont need any more.

I'm being serious. why would Apple want negative feedback for the Mac

Sent from my 5s iPhone using iMore Forums mobile app

Davingtons

Jun 5, 2014
Visit site
I have a free dev account so can't download the beta.

If I had a paid account though, I'd download the beta and start playing with it now.

I don't use my iPad as my daily work machine though, so I would be happy to live with occasional bugs. If my used my iPad for my job though, I'd probably be a bit more careful and stick with iOS 7.

Ariel Babalao

May 8, 2014
Visit site
I would love to start tasting the ios 8 right now, but I have no dev account and have no other iDevice that I could use to test it with. If you don't use your iDevice as a primary device, then why not download it and try it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

anon(4712533)

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
If your willing to put up with the bugs go ahead.
Here is a short list of problems I have had

1. Lock screen hangs (stays Black)
2. App store keeps refreshing it self
3. Apps like MacHash, State Farm, and Verizon not working
4. settings crashes every now and then

I have iOS 8 installed on my 5S and it is my only phone I use, I don't mind being a beta tester and as long as the phone part and messages work I will continue to test and I haven't had problems with that part of the phone.

Sekelani Zwambila

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
I'd get it if I were you. Why? Just to check it out. Play around with it. If you get annoyed by the bugs , restore back to iOS 7. It's a win either way !

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods