Totally blown away by the iOS presentation

swarlos

Trusted Member
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Wasn't expected at all! Apple you have a proper convert this time around.

Posted via iMore App

We sure about that Chetan?! Well looks like the iOS 8 beta is going to be bringing me out of my iMore hibernation. I'm super excited for the new additions especially quick reply and inter app communication yeah!

Carried by a raven from the Wall.

anon5664829

May 6, 2013
Visit site
We sure about that Chetan?! Well looks like the iOS 8 beta is going to be bringing me out of my iMore hibernation. I'm super excited for the new additions especially quick reply and inter app communication yeah!

100:)

Those continuity features and 3rd party keyboards? **** YEAH!!!

Failed install of iOS 8 on my iPad but I did use it for a few minutes.

Posted via iMore App

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
The only thing that really interested me was the integration with their Desktop OS (Calling and Texting from the phone even if it's on the charger across the room).

The rest was meh, cause it's basic stuff that I've been using elsewhere since forever.

I was actually more interested in iOS 8 than I am in the next iPhone, as long as the screen is 4.5-5" that didn't matter matter as long as the internals are at least as good as a 5S. I just needed to see what they were bringing software-wise, and I think the main point of iOS 8 is Continuity. The features are meh to me, and justify a version upgrade. But they didn't seem to be the real focus of things in the Keynote.

Moving forward, I don't even see a point in getting an iPhone if I'm not going to use a Mac as well. They seem married now - almost like a Playbook and a Blackberry smartphone. Almost...

Ugh, this has really thrown a wrench into my hopeful upgrade plans. Guess I keep looking.

iOS Gravity

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
The only thing that really interested me was the integration with their Desktop OS (Calling and Texting from the phone even if it's on the charger across the room).

The rest was meh, cause it's basic stuff that I've been using elsewhere since forever.

I was actually more interested in iOS 8 than I am in the next iPhone, as long as the screen is 4.5-5" that didn't matter matter as long as the internals are at least as good as a 5S. I just needed to see what they were bringing software-wise, and I think the main point of iOS 8 is Continuity. The features are meh to me, and justify a version upgrade. But they didn't seem to be the real focus of things in the Keynote.

Moving forward, I don't even see a point in getting an iPhone if I'm not going to use a Mac as well. They seem married now - almost like a Playbook and a Blackberry smartphone. Almost...

Ugh, this has really thrown a wrench into my hopeful upgrade plans. Guess I keep looking.

I have an iPhone and an iPod Touch 5th generation and I don't have a Mac. You don't need a Mac to enjoy iOS devices.

iOS Gravity

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site

You and BLiNK are finally back, but Sean left.

drrf69

Feb 26, 2014
Visit site
Sorry but i just can do without jailbreak...there is always a tweak for any short comings from ios..like winterboard,activator,ad blocker, app locker, ect ect ect..cant name all of them..
Jailbreak is the reason i use iphones..

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I have an iPhone and an iPod Touch 5th generation and I don't have a Mac. You don't need a Mac to enjoy iOS devices.

It's not about enjoying the device, it's about getting the maximum value out of it - and that should not entail another $900+ device purchase. The fact is, it's getting a LOT harder to do that with iOS devices when you own other devices running dispirate platforms.

I don't pay a premium for a second rate user experience. $750 is a lot to pay for a device that is functionally crippled simply because I didn't buy an Apple computer.

There is already quite a disparity in user experience between a Mac and PC iPhone user, I've had iPhones, my friends have them and Macs. I see it everyday, and dealt with it. These updates are going to drive the rift too wide for me to consider it. It was already like running nails on a chalkboard owning an iPhone as a Windows User (for me) before. I was hoping that would improve a bit, but it went the other way.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
It's not about enjoying the device, it's about getting the maximum value out of it. And the fact is it's getting a LOT harder to do that with iOS devices when you own other devices running dispirate platforms.

I don't pay a premium for a second rate user experience. $750 is a lot to pay for a device that is functionally crippled simply because I didn't buy my computer from Apple.

Well now that the iPhone can have a proper relationship with a Mac there will be a lot of people thinking about going fully Apple

I use three platforms myself and I don't feel like I have a second rate experience. It's my chose but it would be more productive

My tablet use is low so getting a Mac might be my best recourse

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Well now that the iPhone can have a proper relationship with a Mac there will be a lot of people thinking about going fully Apple

I use three platforms myself and I don't feel like I have a second rate experience. It's my chose but it would be more productive

My tablet use is low so getting a Mac might be my best recourse

Second Rate as in how terrible Shared Photo Streams are on the PC. I was in a pretty active Shared Photo Stream, and it was a terrible experience. Also, the normal photo stream takes forever to Sync down to the Windows Client (that part may improve, but I don't expect Shared Streams to be much better, if better at all).

iCloud PIM isn't a great experience if you aren't using Microsoft Outlook or want to live in a Web Browser.

Safari isn't in development for Windows anymore, so things like Reading List are unusable from the PC.

I don't expect feature parity on the PC end, but what they're putting out I cannot consider usable for me in this day and age, especially since I'm pretty adamant about keeping the amount of redundant accounts and services I use down to bare minimum.

Most people don't make a choice between a tablet and a PC or Laptop, Lol. You can get a decent tablet for $300 or thereabouts these days - even from Apple. The price disparity put the two on a different plane of consideration for the vast majority of people.

It's not *that* big a deal. I just won't buy it, and that will ultimately make upgrade decisions a bit easier for me in a few months.

i7guy

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
It is an entry drug. Using Windows machines my entire life I wouldn't have gotten a Mac had it not been for using an iPhone and then iPad after that.

I don't know, I have no intention on getting a Mac even though family has 6 Idevices in total.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums mobile app

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Since there'll be support for 3rd party keyboards I wonder if a "swype" style keyboard will be coming to iOS? That's a keyboard that I definitely miss. I could really bang out some messages while...sitting at the stoplight...with that. :D

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR