iPad Mini 1
iPhone 4-S
iPhone 4
iPod Touch 5
All devices not supported by iOS 7

acerace113

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I think we can all agree that the iPhone 4 will not be getting iOS 8 and all A6(X) & A7 devices (iPhone 5, 5C, 5S iPad 4, air, mini2) will get iOS 8. The only devices that are unsure are the A5(X) devices (iPhone 4S iPad 2, 3, mini iPod touch 5). Based on history apple has dropped 2 devices at a time (iOS 4 iPhone 2G, iPod touch 1; iOS 4.3 iPhone 3G, iPod touch 2; iOS 6 iPad 1, iPod touch 3; iOS 7 iPhone 3GS, iPod touch 4). So with iOS 8 the question is will Apple drop 2 devices or more? With 2 devices my guess is the iPhone 4 & iPad 2 and if Apple drops the iPod lineup then the iPod touch 5 as well.

I think Apple will drop any iPhone with a 3.5" screen (iPhone 4, 4S) and any iPad without a retina display (iPad 2, mini) but that's just me...

Sent from my iPhone 5S or 5th gen iPod Touch using Tapatalk

Bryce Cordry

Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
The thing that I am concerned about is the RAM. The iPad 1 had only 256 MB of RAM, which is why it got discontinued (while the iPhone 4 continued on even though it also had A-4). I see Apple dropping anything with less than 1 GB of Memory, which includes iPod Touch 5, iPad 2, iPad Mini 1, iPhone 4 and iPhone 4-S. The iPad 3, while it has an A-5-X , has 1 GB of RAM, plus the Retina Display, which leads me to think that maybe they will continue the iPad 3 but not the 2.

eve6er69

Trusted Member
Jun 12, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I feel the next run will only include iPhone 5 model and up. 4s and lower will be left to linger.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

acerace113

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
The thing that I am concerned about is the RAM. The iPad 1 had only 256 MB of RAM, which is why it got discontinued (while the iPhone 4 continued on even though it also had A-4). I see Apple dropping anything with less than 1 GB of Memory, which includes iPod Touch 5, iPad 2, iPad Mini 1, iPhone 4 and iPhone 4-S. The iPad 3, while it has an A-5-X , has 1 GB of RAM, plus the Retina Display, which leads me to think that maybe they will continue the iPad 3 but not the 2.

The iPhone 4 had 512 mb of ram while the iPad 1 and iPod touch 4 only had 256 mb of ram but all 3 had the A4 chip.

Bryce Cordry

Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
The thing that gets me about the iPad 2 vs iPad 3 is that the 3 has a Retina Display, 1 GB of RAM, and the A-5-X chip, while the 2 has a non-retina display, only 512 MB of RAM, and the standard A-5 chip. So perhaps the 3 will barely make the cut. Any objections?

bodonnell2

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
In the past few years any devices that are still being sold at the time a new version of iOS is announced are still supported (although older devices often don't get all the features).
Since Apple is still selling the iPhone 4s, iPod Touch 5g and iPad Mini (all A5 devices) these should get iOS 8 for sure. iPad 2 is on the fence - they just pulled it this Spring so it may be out (it does feature most of the same internals as the iPad Mini (A5 SOC) but there are some differences such as the iPad 2 uses the 30 pin connector, does not have hardware support for Siri and uses a different baseband on the wifi + cellular model (no LTE support). If iPad 2 is out iPad 3 may be out too. iPhone 4 is out for sure. Anything running an A6 or A7 chip (iPhone 5/5c/5s and iPad 4) are definitely safe and will be getting iOS 8.

mrmarquis9

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
The 4S might see iOS8 - but it won't have all the bells & whistles that the new devices get. And depending on what happens with the rest of the iPad line-up - I'd be surprised if the iPad2 would get iOS8 when it arrives.

If the ipad 2 does get IOS *8 I will have a heart attack!

wil2192

May 3, 2014
Visit site
differences between apple and android is: when apple stop supporting iOS 8 for iphone 4 or 4S you can"t simply upgrade or downgrade
and if iphone 4S will not get an update then iphone 4S users running iOS 7.1 will have a great problem if they want to jailbreak cause you can't jailbreak iOS 7.1 and they will never make a jailbreak for 7.1 i think
but now to the point with android you can root any device and you can upgrade any phone you want to the newest updates android version if it is supported or not by the manufacturer off course it is at your own risk to jailbreak or root your device :)

uchdeal

May 5, 2014
Visit site
I honestly think apple will drop all devices with a 30 pin so that people will move on to devices will a lightning pin. In that case the 4s and older will be dropped and the iPad 3 and older will be dropped

dicketytwo

May 30, 2014
Visit site
Wow! a troll who is a moderator on the site. No way PinkBanana can win this battle. I'm sure the troll - oops - moderator will have a snappy reply for my post too

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Wow! a troll who is a moderator on the site. No way PinkBanana can win this battle. I'm sure the troll - oops - moderator will have a snappy reply for my post too
What a lovely first impression to have in a forum...
Friendly reminder for you.........
[INFO]
P.U.P.P.A.H
(Be Polite, Understanding, Patient, Professional, Attentive and Helpful)
  • Be polite. We ask that you keep your language clean and polite.
  • Be understanding and patient. You may be a power user or developer, but the person you’re talking to on the other end may be a complete newbie. Be patient, and provide all details possible if you’re posting about a problem (descriptive thread title always helps).
  • Be a pro. Don’t get into arguments over dumb things. If someone responds in a poor or rude fashion, ignore it. If you notice a pattern of rude or poor behavior from a particular member, report them to our moderators. If you don’t have anything nice to say, don’t say anything at all. In a nutshell, ‘think before you post’.
  • Be attentive and helpful. Answer questions in a timely manner when you can, and provide thoughts and suggestions that might lead to the solution of a members’ problem.
[/INFO]
Welcome to iMore...

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
I think we can all agree that the iPhone 4 will not be getting iOS 8 and all A6(X) & A7 devices (iPhone 5, 5C, 5S iPad 4, air, mini2) will get iOS 8. The only devices that are unsure are the A5(X) devices (iPhone 4S iPad 2, 3, mini iPod touch 5). Based on history apple has dropped 2 devices at a time (iOS 4 iPhone 2G, iPod touch 1; iOS 4.3 iPhone 3G, iPod touch 2; iOS 6 iPad 1, iPod touch 3; iOS 7 iPhone 3GS, iPod touch 4). So with iOS 8 the question is will Apple drop 2 devices or more? With 2 devices my guess is the iPhone 4 & iPad 2 and if Apple drops the iPod lineup then the iPod touch 5 as well.

I think Apple will drop any iPhone with a 3.5" screen (iPhone 4, 4S) and any iPad without a retina display (iPad 2, mini) but that's just me...

I think they may have some angry people if they drop support for the original iPad mini after only 1 year of updates, but I agree, that those devices are on the lower end hardware wise anyway.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site

The ram question also makes me wonder if they will up the ram on the iPhone 6/new iPad. It is much needed, especially for the iPad, and would also take advantage of the 64 bit chip better than just 1gb of ram. Will be interesting to see what all they unveil with the new iPhone.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods