iOS 8 Device Compatibility Speculation

anon6040766

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
Developers will support it if they want to make money. I feel like there are way to many users with the 4s to just completely leave them out in the dust. And if rumors are true of a larger iPad they will have 3 sizes to support for the iPad anyway.

That's why I said I'm clueless about this stuff with respect to builds for different size screens. I admitted I could be wrong up front. It's all good...you have a Penguins avatar and I'm from Philly, only makes sense we'd disagree

Sent from my iPhone 5s on VZW from Philly

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
That's why I said I'm clueless about this stuff with respect to builds for different size screens. I admitted I could be wrong up front. It's all good...you have a Penguins avatar and I'm from Philly, only makes sense we'd disagree

Sent from my iPhone 5s on VZW from Philly

Ha well now it makes perfect sense that we disagree. Jk but I am sure if apple went that route, they would keep similar screen density to allow it easier to developer to update apps and support the various sizes.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
Way ahead of things again... but was wondering. WHEN iOS 8 does come out, how many devices (how far back) do you think Apple will be able to support? iPhone 4S or newer? iPhone 5 or newer? iPad 2 still in the mix as well?

I know my trusty 'ol iPhone 4 has held up to iOS 7 surprisingly well, but I doubt the next major update would fare quite as well... :)

I'm assuming iOS 8 will be the wall any single core CPU iDevices run into. I'm even surprised they iPhone 4 got iOS 7.

acerace113

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Developers will support it if they want to make money. I feel like there are way to many users with the 4s to just completely leave them out in the dust. And if rumors are true of a larger iPad they will have 3 sizes to support for the iPad anyway.

But if the rumors are true that Apple will release a 4.7" & 5.7" iPhone, wouldn't that mean that developers might have to support 4 different resolutions?

Sent from my iPhone 5S or 5th gen iPod Touch using Tapatalk

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
But if the rumors are true that Apple will release a 4.7" & 5.7" iPhone, wouldn't that mean that developers might have to support 4 different resolutions?

Well if IOS8 drops support for the 4/4s then it would just be 3 resolutions that they have to support. Even so, apple could some how make the new resolution sort of how they made it going from the 4s-5, I am sure if apple does it they are not going to make it too hard on developers to support.

iOS Gravity

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
I personally think that the Original mini will support it, so will the iPod since it gets 2 years of updates and the 4S and above will get the updates too. The iPad 2 will lose support. That's the way Apple rolls. But hey, I might be wrong. ;)

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
I personally think that the Original mini will support it, so will the iPod since it gets 2 years of updates and the 4S and above will get the updates too. The iPad 2 will lose support. That's the way Apple rolls. But hey, I might be wrong. ;)

But the iPad mini and iPad 2 have the same internals so if the iPad mini gets it, I wouldn't see why the iPad 2 wouldn't get it since they are running on the same chips.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
But the iPad mini and iPad 2 have the same internals so if the iPad mini gets it, I wouldn't see why the iPad 2 wouldn't get it since they are running on the same chips.

You are right. We should be talking about this in relation to the chip each device is running. IMO, iOS 8 will be the end of the line for anything with an A4 chip. Anything with an A5 or higher (dual core CPU) will probably keep going.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
Why would something newer last less than something older?

They both have the same processor, the Apple A5. Hence, they are essentially the same device (iPhone 4S also has the same chip). The only difference is the screen size. That's why something older can last just as long as something newer.

acerace113

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
You are right. We should be talking about this in relation to the chip each device is running. IMO, iOS 8 will be the end of the line for anything with an A4 chip. Anything with an A5 or higher (dual core CPU) will probably keep going.

Well Apple usually drops 2 devices from support based on history. With the iPhone 4 most likely being dropped for iOS updates, which A5 device will get dropped for iOS updates, assuming that apple drops 2 devices like they have done in the past.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Well Apple usually drops 2 devices from support based on history. With the iPhone 4 most likely being dropped for iOS updates, which A5 device will get dropped for iOS updates, assuming that apple drops 2 devices like they have done in the past.

See that is where it could get tricky for apple. I could honestly see them getting rid of the iPhone 4/4s and also the ipad2/original mini. I know a lot of people would be upset (mainly mini users) but apple seems to want to get away from the old devices which use the 32 pin charger for the lightning chargers so this would make sense. I think it will also depend on how much they change in IOS8 and what it needs from the processing end of things.

acerace113

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
See that is where it could get tricky for apple. I could honestly see them getting rid of the iPhone 4/4s and also the ipad2/original mini. I know a lot of people would be upset (mainly mini users) but apple seems to want to get away from the old devices which use the 32 pin charger for the lightning chargers so this would make sense. I think it will also depend on how much they change in IOS8 and what it needs from the processing end of things.

Yea that's the problem... The iPhone 4S, iPod touch 5th gen, iPad 2 & iPad mini all use the A5 chip and all of those devices are still being sold.

The iPhone 5S/5C/5, iPad Air/4 & iPad mini retina are for sure getting iOS 8.

The iPhone 4 is for sure not getting iOS 8.

That leaves the iPhone 4S, iPad 2/3, iPad mini & iPod touch 5th gen as unknown and on the bubble.

I think this will be a huge mess and there will be strong feedback on what devices are not getting iOS 8 but we will all have to wait until WWDC to find out.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
I think the iPad 2, iPad Mini and iPhone 4 will be left in the dust. The 4s and iPod Touch 5g will run a version with most of the features disabled. Some people will be mad but Apple doesn't care there are always people who get mad. Just like when they released the iPad 3 and then iPad 4 in the same year, or when they ditched DVD drives from MBPs, etc. there will always be a section of users who feel wronged.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
I think the iPad 2, iPad Mini and iPhone 4 will be left in the dust. The 4s and iPod Touch 5g will run a version with most of the features disabled. Some people will be mad but Apple doesn't care there are always people who get mad. Just like when they released the iPad 3 and then iPad 4 in the same year, or when they ditched DVD drives from MBPs, etc. there will always be a section of users who feel wronged.

I agree. I couldn't recommend the first Mini even with the price drop. An ipad 4 or iphone 5 is a different story.

Celandine

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
I have the original iPad Mini and will be disappointed if it is not updated to the new OS rumored to be out this year. This product was only released 16 months ago!! :not-interested:

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
I have the original iPad Mini and will be disappointed if it is not updated to the new OS rumored to be out this year. This product was only released 16 months ago!! :not-interested:

How do you think I felt hen a new iPad 4 was released 6 or so months after I bought my iPad 3? It was the same price which meant two things I could have gotten the new hardware for the same amount of money I paid and the second hand value of the iPad 3 that was only months old was dirt. The thing is that just because Apple releases new hardware or a new OS that will not work on the device doesn't mean the device can't be used. I know and have seen people who are still using the original iPad.

cinematicme

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
I can see this being plausible

iPhone 5+
iPod touch 5
iPad Mini+
iPad 4

Devices not supported
4S and below
iPad 2,3
Any iPod other than the 5

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

acerace113

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I can see this being plausible

iPhone 5+
iPod touch 5
iPad Mini+
iPad 4

Devices not supported
4S and below
iPad 2,3
Any iPod other than the 5

if the 5th gen ipod touch can run iOS 8 then the 4S would have no problem running iOS 8 either cause the gpu in the A5 is rendering more pixels on the 5th gen ipod touch than the 4S.

cinematicme

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
if the 5th gen ipod touch can run iOS 8 then the 4S would have no problem running iOS 8 either cause the gpu in the A5 is rendering more pixels on the 5th gen ipod touch than the 4S.

Wouldn't make sense in the lineup, discontinue the 4S and move the 5C in to its place, mid range would be the 5S if the 6 does come out, and flagship would be the 6.

5c can already be gotten for $99 on a new contract , I'm predicting it will drop to 50 (like it already has in some places) the 16GB 5S will be $99 with contract and the 6 will replace it at $199 on contract.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR