iOS 7 is killing my data plan

baseballbert

Nov 27, 2011
Visit site
My data usage has gone through the roof since using iOS 7. My iphone 5 very often fails to recognize my wifi network at both home and work, and I have to manually connect.

I've gone through the settings and shut down notifications, location, auto refresh, etc. Anyone else have this issue, and if so, we're you able to take care of it?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I'm not having any connection problems whatsoever with my iPhone 5 running iOS 7.0.4 and I have yet to go over my data limits. If I were you, I'd do the following in order.

1. Go to Settings-General-Reset and then select "Reset Network Settings. Afterwards, I would see if that helps in getting the device to connect to your Wi-Fi network.

2. If it does not, then I would create both an iCloud backup AND an iTunes backup. Afterwards, I'd put my device in DFU mode and then restore it via iTunes and then set it up as a new device.

3. If that doesn't work, I'd make a genius bar appointment with the nearest Apple Store.

linsiris

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Hi baseballbert, listen to what JustMe'D advised. Keep in mind that if your 5 fails to recognize most of the networks compared to lets say, another iPhone you have around (or any other iDevice) it might be defective. The same happened to me with my first iPhone 5 it would fail to recognize most of the networks around me...so I got it exchanged and the new one (which is my current) works just fine.

So, follow the steps above and if that doesn't make a difference, go to the nearest apple store! keep in mind that sometimes you will need to "recreate" the issue (I had to) so I took my iTouch for comparison while it showed all the networks around, the faulty ip5 did not, so there was no way they could refute what I was saying.

jburke82

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Yup, follow his directions...and I would definitely make a genius bar appt. We really should have an "Ask JustMe'D" section on the forums!

zerog46

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
Same as above, I have wifi at home, at work, 4 schools I go into on a daily basis and a few other bldg.'s none of which have any issues. Take it back and get it fixed.

baseballbert

Nov 27, 2011
Visit site
My wife's 5C and our iPad are good to go on their connections. I will give the tips a shot and report back. Thank you very much to everyone who chimed in!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

erikbock

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I had to do the "Reset Network" trick. I went through 200 MB is a single day. I called Apple and that is what they advised me to do. Seems to have worked.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73