In iOS 7, apps reset and refresh themselves and lose their place after switching back to them

wtctax

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
I have the same problem which I think effects every app. Quite simply I have not really got any Multi taking whatsoever rendering my ipad2 pretty damn useless. That a lot of money spent on something which is not too old and being forced into the bin. I think I am done with Apple since if I get a new machine it is more than likely going to be made obsolete within a few years just like the ipad2.

Facebook resets to top of news feed, mail to main page, websites, Twitter. It's useless. I cannot move around at all without having to re-whittle down to where I was before.

Bye bye Apple. I am going to Android devices.

i7guy

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
I have the same problem which I think effects every app. Quite simply I have not really got any Multi taking whatsoever rendering my ipad2 pretty damn useless. That a lot of money spent on something which is not too old and being forced into the bin. I think I am done with Apple since if I get a new machine it is more than likely going to be made obsolete within a few years just like the ipad2.

Facebook resets to top of news feed, mail to main page, websites, Twitter. It's useless. I cannot move around at all without having to re-whittle down to where I was before.

I don't have these app restart issues on my 5s or iPad. In on 7,0.4. Try to set the phone up as new? And see if bit helps.

DJ Nicke

Jan 30, 2014
Visit site
It's a new year and EVERY ONE of my apps has updated many times. I still have this issue with EVERY APP on both my iPhone 4S and my iPad 2!!!

If I'm navigating with maps or google maps, but I get a text message or a phone call, when I go back to maps it has completely reset and I must start all over again. This is really annoying when you're in the middle of a journey on public transport and it can't just pick up where you left off.

If I'm watching a video on YouTube and want to quickly google something, when I come back youtube resets to the default login screen.

Both of my devices now **** me off more than help me. I used to LOVE my ios devices and convinced several friends and family members to pay the premium and go with Apple, but now I'm thinking of switching myself!

Yes, I've done a full reset. I even started a ticket with AppleCare and did a second full reset without restoring from a backup. Both helped - for a short time. But after a week, my devices are right back to being non-multitasking devices.

Have the non-64 bit devices just been left behind?

DJ Nicke

Jan 30, 2014
Visit site
By the way; this seems to be more of a time and memory issue than anything else.

However, even when I only have 2 apps "running" they can't switch between themselves properly.

Even when they don't reset, there is a massive lag that was never there before ios 7.

BeenThere DoneThat

Feb 4, 2014
Visit site
Hello - I'm glad to find others that are having the same problem. I have also found a forum discussing the exact same problem on apple.com - here is a link to it:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5380124?tstart=0

Please lets consolidate these conversations for maximum visibility. If you are chatting this problem up, please comment in both places. Don't let Apple tech support make you restore the device. It doesnt help. Maybe for a very short period of time according to some reports.

We have to join forces and bring this to the attention of Apple. I personally am considering jumping to Android as soon as my contract is over if Apple doesn't fix this problem. Currently, they will not even acknowledge it exist.

This problem started with iOS 7 and is driving me crazy.

acerace113

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
For the record, if you leave an app and open another if the phone needs more RAM to run the app you just opened will either quit any app that is currently running or put apps into a "save state" where when the app is opened again it will reload data. Also when in safari if you have multiple tabs open it will unload webpages as needed but it will save what site you were on so it can load it when you go back to it. Also zooming in to webpages uses more RAM on iOS.

Sent from my iPhone 5S or iPod touch 5th gen using Tapatalk

iRiidium

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site

Oh, Android has more than its share of annoyances too. Trust me, I know. If I were you I'd wait and see how you feel after 7.1 drops, which will likely be sooner rather than later.

If you do decide to go next door to Android the G2 is a stellar device at a great price.

Sent from my Plutonium 5s 64

rick7072

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site
Hi -- I'm the original poster and I'm very glad to see all this discussion about this problem. I don't know which is worse -- the problem itself or the fact that Apple won't acknowledge it. I think our best path of action now is to contact as many tech journalists as possible and clearly describe the problem to them and have it be PUBLICIZED, PUBLICIZED, PUBLICIZED. It's been puzzling to me and anyone who suffers from this issue as to why it's gotten so little press, since at this point it's the worst problem in IOS 7. It's such a drastic change from iOS 6.

rick7072

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site
Re: In iOS 7, apps refresh themselves and lose their place after switching back to them

It's up to the app developers to use the Apis that Apple provides to properly restore themselves.

Hi Karen -- could you explain more about this API? Are there any apps that you know of that use it? On my iPad 2 even native Apple iOS apps like Calendar, Photos, Maps, and of course Safari (which, however, as you point out is a different animal) -- are all subject to this very same problem as are third-party apps. If it were as simple as developers incorporating this API into their app, I'm admittedly puzzled as to why even Apple app developers would choose to not use it.

Last edited:

tablet7475

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
Hi everyone, I have iPhone 4s and iPAD 2 and am seeing the same issue on both devices :( - right after having updated to ios 7. Restoring the phone as new or even dperforming DFU did not help. I can only assume this is a memory issue, as our older devices only have 512MB RAM, and the issue does not show up on iPhone 5s with 1GB RAM.

Have reported feedback to Apple and am rather sad to see that this issue has not been acknowledged officially :(

Utzenstorf

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
This deeply frustrated issue appeared with my iPhone when I upgraded to iOS 7.
I will not buy another iPhone since the problem has prevented the effective use of the phone in mobile situations.

Let me give you an example....using Google maps to navigate, in a taxi or in a busy street- on refreshing, all the current address information is completely lost.
So addresses have to be re-entered, wasting valuable time.
All mobile apps are similarly affected....Tripadvisor, Booking.com, Skype.

As well as wasting valuable data usage (i..e. costing the user more), the main problem is the amount of time wasted..... absolutely intolerable!

iRiidium

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
This deeply frustrated issue appeared with my iPhone when I upgraded to iOS 7.
I will not buy another iPhone since the problem has prevented the effective use of the phone in mobile situations.

Let me give you an example....using Google maps to navigate, in a taxi or in a busy street- on refreshing, all the current address information is completely lost.

As well as wasting valuable data usage (i..e. costing the user more), the main problem is the amount of time wasted..... absolutely intolerable!

It does indeed sound annoying. I'm glad the problem is not widespread.

Sent from my liberated Titanium iPad Air LTE 

howiehirsch

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
I too have noticed this problem. First I found it in an app that I'm developing, and I was sure that I had a bug in my app. After investigating, I found that this behaviour is not unique to my app, but rather something that seems to happen on most if not all apps.

I have noticed one thing, that I didn't see discussed in this thread (although I must confess that I have not read all 35 pages of the thread). Apps seem to behave differently if they are launched from the iOS Launcher (i.e. home screen), or if they are launched using the "fast app switch" (double click on the home button, and then pick your app).

When I launch the app using the "fast app switch", it seems to always resume running the app wherever it left off, even if a long period of time has passed from when I last ran the app. However, if I launch the app from the iOS Launcher, then, if enough time has elapsed from when I last ran the app, it restarts the app. I know it's restarting, since I see the "splash screen" displayed.

My conclusion from this, is that the app hasn't been killed. If it was, then launching via "fast app switch" would also cause it to restart.

I'm wondering if this has been discussed before, and if anyone can else has seen this behavior.

DDavis31602

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
"When I launch the app using the "fast app switch", it seems to always resume running the app wherever it left off, even if a long period of time has passed from when I last ran the app. However, if I launch the app from the iOS Launcher, then, if enough time has elapsed from when I last ran the app, it restarts the app. I know it's restarting, since I see the "splash screen" displayed."

I haven't noticed, because my iPad2 makes it difficult NOT to use fast app, if by that you mean double-clicking on the button. Since ios 7 it goes to fast app with single clicks, so I have to click 3 times to get to the home screen. I thought it was my button getting scuzzy.
Is this what you're referring to?
As to the rest of the issues, oh yes - that's why I'm in this thread!

Sigil

May 20, 2010
Visit site
This issue is driving me crazy! My iPad 2, 3, 4th generation, iPhone 5 and 5s are all affected. This can't be an issue with the architecture.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I haven't noticed this problem when multitasking on my iPhone 5. I switch from one app to another and back. I end up where I left off.

Sent from from my iPhone 5

kdude12345

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
I have the same problem with my iPhone 4S & iPad2 running iOS 7.1. Been driving me nuts. It's happens for sure on Safari, FaceBook, General Settings, and many more. It's maddening and I've lost tons of hours of work, productivity, progress, it never fails I've got an hour worth of focused work done, I'll get a call, text, or email, and when I return to the app it refreshes and loses everything I was doing. It's the same on the iPad2. This combined with the constant app & iOS crashes & freezes, battery drain worse than ever, glitchy operations, display freezing up every 5-6 words being typed for several seconds, display anomalies, lock ups when transitioning between cam & photo albums, endless rebooting when trying to shut down, and this extremely annoying sound issue that started after updating to iOS 7.1, where all kinds of sound issues are happening:

-phone ringer works, but no notification sounds & iPod music is playing but no sounds.
-the opposite: phone ringer doesn't ring, but notifications do & you can hear iPod music.
-sometimes is stuck in an entirely silenced mode. Nothing makes a sound.
-IPhone side silence switch is on the opposite status as is displayed in Assistive Touch. They don't line up.

I have tried resetting all settings & 10-20 other so called solutions, but none of them have worked for more than a few minutes, before the problem comes back again.

I've been on the iPhone since the very first one. And have 2 iPhones & 2 iPads. They are all unusable & crap to work with. Been pulling my hair out for weeks. This is ridiculous & subpar for any phone or consumer device. The Apple devices have become useless.

And I haven't even got into all the bugs in iTunes & iCloud. Or ones present before the upgrade to iOS 7. I'm ready to throw all the apple gear in the trash & go with the latest Galaxy.

Have Apple addressed or fixed any of this stuff?

Last edited:

kdude12345

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
02-16-2014, 06:13 AM post #33 by tablet7475. "Hi everyone, I have iPhone 4s and iPAD 2 and am seeing the same issue on both devices - right after having updated to ios 7. Restoring the phone as new or even performing DFU did not help. I can only assume this is a memory issue, as our older devices only have 512MB RAM, and the issue does not show up on iPhone 5s with 1GB RAM. Have reported feedback to Apple and am rather sad to see that this issue has not been acknowledged officially"

(My reply)

I have the exact same scenario with 2 sets of iPhone 4S & iPad 2. Did everything you did. The devices are all but useless. I used to love my iPhone & iPads. No I hate them & they've caused so much grief & headache. 100s of lost hours & progress. No functionality or productivity at all using Apple. If it doesn't get addressed soon. It's time to dump Apple. Enough is enough!

Last edited:

kdude12345

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
02-21-2014, 03:54 PM Post #35 by iRiidium

Quote Originally Posted by Utzenstorf

"This deeply frustrated issue appeared with my iPhone when I upgraded to iOS 7.

As well as wasting valuable data usage (i..e. costing the user more), the main problem is the amount of time wasted..... absolutely intolerable!"

iRiidium reply to Utzenstorf

"It does indeed sound annoying. I'm glad the problem is not widespread.

Sent from my liberated Titanium iPad Air LTE "

My reply to iRiidium

The problem is very wide spread. People are complaining all around the world & all over Apple support pages, tech forums, blogs, etc.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2