It's a new year and EVERY ONE of my apps has updated many times. I still have this issue with EVERY APP on both my iPhone 4S and my iPad 2!!!

If I'm navigating with maps or google maps, but I get a text message or a phone call, when I go back to maps it has completely reset and I must start all over again. This is really annoying when you're in the middle of a journey on public transport and it can't just pick up where you left off.

If I'm watching a video on YouTube and want to quickly google something, when I come back youtube resets to the default login screen.

Both of my devices now **** me off more than help me. I used to LOVE my ios devices and convinced several friends and family members to pay the premium and go with Apple, but now I'm thinking of switching myself!

Yes, I've done a full reset. I even started a ticket with AppleCare and did a second full reset without restoring from a backup. Both helped - for a short time. But after a week, my devices are right back to being non-multitasking devices.

Have the non-64 bit devices just been left behind?
    kdude12345 likes this.
    01-30-2014 05:11 AM
    By the way; this seems to be more of a time and memory issue than anything else.

However, even when I only have 2 apps "running" they can't switch between themselves properly.

Even when they don't reset, there is a massive lag that was never there before ios 7.
    kdude12345 likes this.
    01-30-2014 05:13 AM
    Hello - I'm glad to find others that are having the same problem. I have also found a forum discussing the exact same problem on apple.com - here is a link to it:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5380124?tstart=0

Please lets consolidate these conversations for maximum visibility. If you are chatting this problem up, please comment in both places. Don't let Apple tech support make you restore the device. It doesnt help. Maybe for a very short period of time according to some reports.

We have to join forces and bring this to the attention of Apple. I personally am considering jumping to Android as soon as my contract is over if Apple doesn't fix this problem. Currently, they will not even acknowledge it exist.

This problem started with iOS 7 and is driving me crazy.
    kdude12345 likes this.
    02-04-2014 03:24 PM
    For the record, if you leave an app and open another if the phone needs more RAM to run the app you just opened will either quit any app that is currently running or put apps into a "save state" where when the app is opened again it will reload data. Also when in safari if you have multiple tabs open it will unload webpages as needed but it will save what site you were on so it can load it when you go back to it. Also zooming in to webpages uses more RAM on iOS.

Sent from my iPhone 5S or iPod touch 5th gen using Tapatalk
    02-04-2014 04:11 PM
    I have the same problem which I think effects every app. Quite simply I have not really got any Multi taking whatsoever rendering my ipad2 pretty damn useless. That a lot of money spent on something which is not too old and being forced into the bin. I think I am done with Apple since if I get a new machine it is more than likely going to be made obsolete within a few years just like the ipad2.

Facebook resets to top of news feed, mail to main page, websites, Twitter. It's useless. I cannot move around at all without having to re-whittle down to where I was before.

Bye bye Apple. I am going to Android devices.
    Oh, Android has more than its share of annoyances too. Trust me, I know. If I were you I'd wait and see how you feel after 7.1 drops, which will likely be sooner rather than later.

If you do decide to go next door to Android the G2 is a stellar device at a great price.

Sent from my Plutonium 5s 64
    02-04-2014 04:17 PM
    Hi -- I'm the original poster and I'm very glad to see all this discussion about this problem. I don't know which is worse -- the problem itself or the fact that Apple won't acknowledge it. I think our best path of action now is to contact as many tech journalists as possible and clearly describe the problem to them and have it be PUBLICIZED, PUBLICIZED, PUBLICIZED. It's been puzzling to me and anyone who suffers from this issue as to why it's gotten so little press, since at this point it's the worst problem in IOS 7. It's such a drastic change from iOS 6.
    kdude12345 likes this.
    02-04-2014 06:11 PM
    It's up to the app developers to use the Apis that Apple provides to properly restore themselves.
    Hi Karen -- could you explain more about this API? Are there any apps that you know of that use it? On my iPad 2 even native Apple iOS apps like Calendar, Photos, Maps, and of course Safari (which, however, as you point out is a different animal) -- are all subject to this very same problem as are third-party apps. If it were as simple as developers incorporating this API into their app, I'm admittedly puzzled as to why even Apple app developers would choose to not use it.
    Last edited by rick7072; 02-04-2014 at 09:47 PM.
    Kashan Osama and kdude12345 like this.
    02-04-2014 06:28 PM
    Hi everyone, I have iPhone 4s and iPAD 2 and am seeing the same issue on both devices - right after having updated to ios 7. Restoring the phone as new or even dperforming DFU did not help. I can only assume this is a memory issue, as our older devices only have 512MB RAM, and the issue does not show up on iPhone 5s with 1GB RAM.

Have reported feedback to Apple and am rather sad to see that this issue has not been acknowledged officially
    kdude12345 likes this.
    02-16-2014 07:13 AM
    This deeply frustrated issue appeared with my iPhone when I upgraded to iOS 7.
    I will not buy another iPhone since the problem has prevented the effective use of the phone in mobile situations.

Let me give you an example....using Google maps to navigate, in a taxi or in a busy street- on refreshing, all the current address information is completely lost.
    So addresses have to be re-entered, wasting valuable time.
    All mobile apps are similarly affected....Tripadvisor, Booking.com, Skype.

As well as wasting valuable data usage (i..e. costing the user more), the main problem is the amount of time wasted..... absolutely intolerable!
    kdude12345 and Kashan Osama like this.
    02-21-2014 12:46 PM
    This deeply frustrated issue appeared with my iPhone when I upgraded to iOS 7.
    I will not buy another iPhone since the problem has prevented the effective use of the phone in mobile situations.

Let me give you an example....using Google maps to navigate, in a taxi or in a busy street- on refreshing, all the current address information is completely lost.

As well as wasting valuable data usage (i..e. costing the user more), the main problem is the amount of time wasted..... absolutely intolerable!
    It does indeed sound annoying. I'm glad the problem is not widespread.

Sent from my liberated Titanium iPad Air LTE 
    02-21-2014 04:54 PM
    I too have noticed this problem. First I found it in an app that I'm developing, and I was sure that I had a bug in my app. After investigating, I found that this behaviour is not unique to my app, but rather something that seems to happen on most if not all apps.

I have noticed one thing, that I didn't see discussed in this thread (although I must confess that I have not read all 35 pages of the thread). Apps seem to behave differently if they are launched from the iOS Launcher (i.e. home screen), or if they are launched using the "fast app switch" (double click on the home button, and then pick your app).

When I launch the app using the "fast app switch", it seems to always resume running the app wherever it left off, even if a long period of time has passed from when I last ran the app. However, if I launch the app from the iOS Launcher, then, if enough time has elapsed from when I last ran the app, it restarts the app. I know it's restarting, since I see the "splash screen" displayed.

My conclusion from this, is that the app hasn't been killed. If it was, then launching via "fast app switch" would also cause it to restart.

I'm wondering if this has been discussed before, and if anyone can else has seen this behavior.
    03-05-2014 03:41 AM
    "When I launch the app using the "fast app switch", it seems to always resume running the app wherever it left off, even if a long period of time has passed from when I last ran the app. However, if I launch the app from the iOS Launcher, then, if enough time has elapsed from when I last ran the app, it restarts the app. I know it's restarting, since I see the "splash screen" displayed."

I haven't noticed, because my iPad2 makes it difficult NOT to use fast app, if by that you mean double-clicking on the button. Since ios 7 it goes to fast app with single clicks, so I have to click 3 times to get to the home screen. I thought it was my button getting scuzzy.
    Is this what you're referring to?
    As to the rest of the issues, oh yes - that's why I'm in this thread!
    03-05-2014 12:19 PM
    I meant to reply to your post!
    03-05-2014 12:22 PM
    This issue is driving me crazy! My iPad 2, 3, 4th generation, iPhone 5 and 5s are all affected. This can't be an issue with the architecture.
    kdude12345 likes this.
    04-08-2014 08:06 PM
    I haven't noticed this problem when multitasking on my iPhone 5. I switch from one app to another and back. I end up where I left off.

Sent from from my iPhone 5
    04-08-2014 08:32 PM
    I have the same problem with my iPhone 4S & iPad2 running iOS 7.1. Been driving me nuts. It's happens for sure on Safari, FaceBook, General Settings, and many more. It's maddening and I've lost tons of hours of work, productivity, progress, it never fails I've got an hour worth of focused work done, I'll get a call, text, or email, and when I return to the app it refreshes and loses everything I was doing. It's the same on the iPad2. This combined with the constant app & iOS crashes & freezes, battery drain worse than ever, glitchy operations, display freezing up every 5-6 words being typed for several seconds, display anomalies, lock ups when transitioning between cam & photo albums, endless rebooting when trying to shut down, and this extremely annoying sound issue that started after updating to iOS 7.1, where all kinds of sound issues are happening:

-phone ringer works, but no notification sounds & iPod music is playing but no sounds.
    -the opposite: phone ringer doesn't ring, but notifications do & you can hear iPod music.
    -sometimes is stuck in an entirely silenced mode. Nothing makes a sound.
    -IPhone side silence switch is on the opposite status as is displayed in Assistive Touch. They don't line up.

I have tried resetting all settings & 10-20 other so called solutions, but none of them have worked for more than a few minutes, before the problem comes back again.

I've been on the iPhone since the very first one. And have 2 iPhones & 2 iPads. They are all unusable & crap to work with. Been pulling my hair out for weeks. This is ridiculous & subpar for any phone or consumer device. The Apple devices have become useless.

And I haven't even got into all the bugs in iTunes & iCloud. Or ones present before the upgrade to iOS 7. I'm ready to throw all the apple gear in the trash & go with the latest Galaxy.

Have Apple addressed or fixed any of this stuff?
    Last edited by kdude12345; 04-17-2014 at 01:51 AM.
    04-17-2014 12:56 AM
    02-16-2014, 06:13 AM post #33 by tablet7475. "Hi everyone, I have iPhone 4s and iPAD 2 and am seeing the same issue on both devices - right after having updated to ios 7. Restoring the phone as new or even performing DFU did not help. I can only assume this is a memory issue, as our older devices only have 512MB RAM, and the issue does not show up on iPhone 5s with 1GB RAM. Have reported feedback to Apple and am rather sad to see that this issue has not been acknowledged officially"

(My reply)

I have the exact same scenario with 2 sets of iPhone 4S & iPad 2. Did everything you did. The devices are all but useless. I used to love my iPhone & iPads. No I hate them & they've caused so much grief & headache. 100s of lost hours & progress. No functionality or productivity at all using Apple. If it doesn't get addressed soon. It's time to dump Apple. Enough is enough!
    Last edited by kdude12345; 04-18-2014 at 06:20 AM.
    04-17-2014 01:09 AM
    02-21-2014, 03:54 PM Post #35 by iRiidium

Quote Originally Posted by Utzenstorf

"This deeply frustrated issue appeared with my iPhone when I upgraded to iOS 7.

As well as wasting valuable data usage (i..e. costing the user more), the main problem is the amount of time wasted..... absolutely intolerable!"

iRiidium reply to Utzenstorf

"It does indeed sound annoying. I'm glad the problem is not widespread.

Sent from my liberated Titanium iPad Air LTE "

My reply to iRiidium

The problem is very wide spread. People are complaining all around the world & all over Apple support pages, tech forums, blogs, etc.
    Last edited by kdude12345; 04-18-2014 at 06:26 AM.
    04-17-2014 01:12 AM
    I had a long detailed description of the non-multitasking issue, with details of apps effected, related bugs, and descriptions of how it manifests on my two sets of iPhone 4S & iPad 2. But got a text. Then a call. Came back to Safari and everything I had typed for an hour was lost when Safari refreshed itself for no reason. How ironic, imagine that! Utterly useless. I am Sooooooo sick & tired of entering things multiple times over & over again. Have lost 100s of hours of work & progress. Running iOS 7.1. on Apple devices renders them useless, as the iPhone is no longer reliable as phone or both the iPhone & the iPad are useless as a multitasking smart mobile device.

There are a ton more bugs with iOS 7 besides this one, and there are many still outstanding from iOS 5 & 6, iTunes, iCloud, and other Apple components, some go back 3+ years or more, yet still remain unresolved by Apple. Their reoccurring theme is buy a new device & get everything current, and that will solve your problems. I've been on the iPhone since the first one, I can say for sure with confidence & conviction, jumping onto to the latest device & OS/update DOES NOT SOLVE THE ISSUES by a long shot! It's just Apple pushing to sell more iPhone, iPads, & the like, rather than spending the appropriate time & money into putting out truly engineered solutions...REAL FIXES...AND TESTING THOSE FIXES thoroughly & properly BEFORE RELEASING them to the public.

I have seen a disturbing pattern develop over the last few years, where just a couple months after a new device is released, my device, which is only one release behind that latest (in this case my two 64Gb iPhone 4S), begins slowing down, dogging, crashing, freezing hanging, burping, farting, losing sound, and developing more & more problems. Devices that I spent months debugging & fine tuning, 100s of hours on Apple Support sites, 3rd party tech sites (forums & blogs), Google'ing issues, trying solutions (most do not work or last), wasting more & more time, and losing more & more productivity, by attempting all the 'BAND-AID" SOLUTIONS Apple has been telling people to do... like resetting, DFU'ing, rebooting, turning features & functionality off, clearing memory, changing settings, erasing data, losing data, restoring to factory new, restoring from useless things Apple calls a 'backup', which is nothing even close to an actual backup, or what IT folks would consider being a even the very basic of backups, nor what a halfway decent and informed home computer user (consumer/Apple customer) would expect a backup to be, when using a modern product in this day & age. Its happened every single time Apple has released a new device. My device, that was working fairly well & running decently fast, after months & months of headaches & fine tuning, all of the sudden, it slows down and becomes unresponsive, sluggish, and develops a bunch of bugs. WHEN I DID NOT CHANGE OR INTRODUCE ANYTHING NEW!!! Its very clear that these are primarily SOFTWARE PROBLEMS, not device to computer problems that Apple has us chasing our tail with, or Apple is simply unresponsive on the topic, as they are with this one.

Time to dump Apple...!!! They are clearly not getting it, are not listening to customers, not investing the time & effort to truly fix & support their platform, and its getting worse with with each new release...!!! And with each release or step forward, we end up going 3 steps back & have to go through the same tech nightmares as the previous release, all over again. Its like Apple Groundhog Day! We need Bill Murray to help break the cycle...just like the movies...

I'm completely fed up with the utter nonsense that using Apple product has become. I need to regain my life back and get a frigging phone that simply works, so I can once again have somewhat normal & functional communications with my family, my friends, and my world. Is that too much to ask for or expect from a tech company charging $800 for phones & tablets...? Which in the case of Apple currently aren't worth a damn, because the its software & support is so horribly bad, and its business strategy is so draconian & whacked out. With a new CEO who is trying to recreate Apple in his own image, by doing stupid stuff like releasing a Fisher Price looking iOS7, breaking multitasking use, reducing features, and breaking/disabling/removing the better parts of the problem, rending it completely useless for 1000s of people. People who use these products to communicate & manage their families, for their jobs & livelihoods, and for critical emergencies or important matters, as well as our govt & military using these products for important aspects of running the country...

And this very expensive, unstable, unreliable, pain in the ***, Fisher Price looking phone & tablets is what Apple expects us to use & live with...? Even with such a large & arrogant company as Apple is. The Market will eventually deal with this issue and correct for it. People will not kept putting their lives at risk for a broken Fisher Price looking phone that doesn't work or gives them continual headaches. They will switch & they will buy something else. Particularly now, as it appears to be the tipping point for Apple...They are falling over... Market forces & competition with gladly & organically take their position from them... If loyal long time iPhone users like me, since day 1, are now leaving Apple just like me, then a mass exodus could be on its way... Wake up & smell the coffee Apple...
    Last edited by kdude12345; 04-18-2014 at 07:54 AM.
    04-17-2014 01:23 AM
    I have the exact same scenario with 2 sets of iPhone 4S & iPad 2. Did everything you did. The devices are all but useless. I used to love my iPhone & iPads. No I hate them & they've caused so much grief & headache. 100s of lost hours & progress. No functionality or productivity at all using Apple. If it doesn't get addressed soon. It's time to dump Apple. Enough is enough!
    The problem is very wide spread. People are complaining all around the world & all over Apple support pages, tech forums, blogs, etc.
    I had a long detailed description of the non-multitasking issue, with details of apps effected, related bugs, and descriptions of how it manifests on my two sets of iPhone 4S & iPad 2. But got a text. Then a call. Came back to Safari and everything I had typed for an hour was lost when Safari refreshed itself for no reason. How ironic, yet utterly useless. I am Sooooooo sick & tired of entering things multiple times over & over again. Have lost 100s of hours of work & progress. Running iOS 7.1. Devices are useless. There are a ton more bug with iOS 7 besides this one. Time to dump Apple.
    [TIP]In the future, please select the "Reply with Quote" option when replying to a specific post. This will let us know to whom you're replying to. Thanks.[/TIP]
    kdude12345 likes this.
    04-17-2014 10:04 AM
    [TIP]In the future, please select the "Reply with Quote" option when replying to a specific post. This will let us know to whom you're replying to. Thanks.[/TIP]
    Got it. Will do JustMe'd. I guess its especially important on a post like this one that has many pages & dozens of posts about this issue, as it would be hard to associate my reply to the corresponding post I replied to.
    04-18-2014 06:17 AM
    Seeing this on an iPad Air. Had it replaced at least 3 times at the store. Had it set as new. The problem wasn't as bad initially after the new install but slowly creeps back in. It's the way we use these that in part causes the memory overload. Others believe it's lack of ram. This happens on older and newer devices alike, along with reboots. Ios 8 beta reboots badly too. It seems it's the way the new ios' are designed. Because v.6 and below seem fine. Most frustrating on the maps app but happens with all of them.
    kdude12345 likes this.
    06-26-2014 09:22 AM
    Seeing this on an iPad Air. Had it replaced at least 3 times at the store. Had it set as new. The problem wasn't as bad initially after the new install but slowly creeps back in. It's the way we use these that in part causes the memory overload. Others believe it's lack of ram. This happens on older and newer devices alike, along with reboots. Ios 8 beta reboots badly too. It seems it's the way the new ios' are designed. Because v.6 and below seem fine. Most frustrating on the maps app but happens with all of them.
    I've yet to have a reboot on iOS 8 beta 2. I'm humming along quite stably.
    06-26-2014 10:27 AM
    I've yet to have a reboot on iOS 8 beta 2. I'm humming along quite stably.
    Depends how much you use the device, which apps, and if you're a light user or a heavy user. If you use Maps, Safari, FaceBook, Camera, you're not running stably as they all have known bugs & crash quite often. Doesn't always require a device reboot, though sometimes does, but are indeed crashes. Have you ever been on Safari or Facebook, and the app just quits & dumps you on the home page. That is a crash. Go to 'Settings/General/About/Diagnostics & Usage/Diagnostic & Usage Data' and you'll be able to see the amount of crashes, watchdog triggers, app panicks, reboots, etc. You be amazed how many things are crashing on a daily basis.
    06-27-2014 05:01 AM
    Depends how much you use the device, which apps, and if you're a light user or a heavy user. If you use Maps, Safari, FaceBook, Camera, you're not running stably as they all have known bugs & crash quite often. Doesn't always require a device reboot, though sometimes does, but are indeed crashes. Have you ever been on Safari or Facebook, and the app just quits & dumps you on the home page. That is a crash. Go to 'Settings/General/About/Diagnostics & Usage/Diagnostic & Usage Data' and you'll be able to see the amount of crashes, watchdog triggers, app panicks, reboots, etc. You be amazed how many things are crashing on a daily basis.
    Of course I've had apps crash both during the beta and on released versions. And yes I know all about the crash logs, etc. although I don't obsess about them. If they are not affecting my usage of the phone, I'm not bothered by them. Any computer system has those "hidden" crashes and events which get logged. Ever peered at Windows event manager and logs? or osx system logs?
    Anyway I use my phone heavily although perhaps different apps than you. I was just relaying a different experience with regards to reboots.
    06-27-2014 06:35 AM
60 123