What to do if your iPhone/iPad gets stuck in recovery after installing 7.0.3 OTA

GibMcFragger

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
I noticed a few posts of pure panic in the 7.0.3 thread, so I thought I would offer a solution. I had this problem with my wife's iPad when I updated via OTA. It was easily fixed for me, and I assume it should work for everyone else.

It appears that sometimes during installation of the OTA update to 7.0.3, it gets stuck in recovery half way through.

You can connect it to iTunes and restore it, which will wipe it, OR you can download TinyUmbrella and kick it out of recovery. Once you do that, the installer should complete normally (it did for me).

1) Download and install TinyUmbrella for your PC/Mac.

2) Make sure iTunes isn't running and connect your device via USB.

3) Open up TinyUmbrella. Your device should show up on the left. Click on it and then choose "exit recovery".

4) Profit.

Last edited:

GibMcFragger

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
What does this mean?
After click "exit recovery" nothing happen for me.

If you click on your phone on the left (most likely it shows up as a bunch of characters because it's in recovery), then click the exit recovery button in TinyUmbrella, it should kick your phone out of recovery mode. Your phone should boot and continue the OS update.....at least it did for me. :)

allan sky

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
If you click on your phone on the left (most likely it shows up as a bunch of characters because it's in recovery), then click the exit recovery button in TinyUmbrella, it should kick your phone out of recovery mode. Your phone should boot and continue the OS update.....at least it did for me. :)

Tried couple of times, didn't work, had to restore completely from an old backup.

Thanks any way.

Never had any issue with OTA update before, it's first time, lessons learned, have to backup before update.

zumanon

Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
Today when trying to update my iPad to 7.0.4 it got stuck in recovery mode. If not for your post Gib, I would have lost everything on my iPad. I downloaded TinyUmbrella and it worked like a charm! Great tip! Thanks!!!

auntieshelle

Dec 8, 2013
Visit site
Okay, so get this... I just HAD to register so I could reply to this thread to thank Gib so, so, SO MUCH for posting this fix to get my iPad out of recovery! Worked like an absolute charm without data loss. I have been fretting about my "out of order" iPad for over a month (after trying to 7.0.3 I might add!) and finally went in to the Apple Store today only to have them tell me that their solution would wipe out all of my data (which I already figured). I saw Gib's fix a few weeks ago and was too chicken to try it without at least consulting the "geniuses" : ) I came home and figured out how to get TinyUmbrella running on my system (I think I downloaded an old version a couple weeks ago and it wouldn't install properly) and BINGO! I am good to go! So happy! Thanks again, Gib! You are a lifesaver : )