I noticed a few posts of pure panic in the 7.0.3 thread, so I thought I would offer a solution. I had this problem with my wife's iPad when I updated via OTA. It was easily fixed for me, and I assume it should work for everyone else.

It appears that sometimes during installation of the OTA update to 7.0.3, it gets stuck in recovery half way through.

You can connect it to iTunes and restore it, which will wipe it, OR you can download TinyUmbrella and kick it out of recovery. Once you do that, the installer should complete normally (it did for me).

1) Download and install TinyUmbrella for your PC/Mac.

2) Make sure iTunes isn't running and connect your device via USB.

3) Open up TinyUmbrella. Your device should show up on the left. Click on it and then choose "exit recovery".

4) Profit.
    Last edited by GibMcFragger; 10-23-2013 at 10:40 PM.
    iPerry7 and zumanon like this.
    10-23-2013 10:06 PM
    Many of us didn't experience any problem updating OTA to iOS 7.0.3.
    10-23-2013 10:12 PM
    Worked great for me!! But awesome tip Gib!

Carried by a raven from the Wall.
    GibMcFragger likes this.
    10-23-2013 10:14 PM
    Many of us didn't experience any problem updating OTA to iOS 7.0.3.
    That's good, but a few did. There are posts of panic about it in the 7.0.3 thread. Hence the reason I made this thread!
    10-23-2013 10:39 PM
    But my frozen iphone doesn't show up in TinyUmbrella, what do I do?
    10-28-2013 08:58 AM
    I noticed a few posts of pure panic in the 7.0.3 thread, so I thought I would offer a solution. I had this problem
    4) Profit.
    What does this mean?
    After click "exit recovery" nothing happen for me.
    10-28-2013 09:05 AM
    But my frozen iphone doesn't show up in TinyUmbrella, what do I do?
    It did for me, but it showed up as a bunch of random characters....not my actual phone name.
    10-28-2013 07:43 PM
    What does this mean?
    After click "exit recovery" nothing happen for me.
    If you click on your phone on the left (most likely it shows up as a bunch of characters because it's in recovery), then click the exit recovery button in TinyUmbrella, it should kick your phone out of recovery mode. Your phone should boot and continue the OS update.....at least it did for me.
    10-28-2013 07:45 PM
    If you click on your phone on the left (most likely it shows up as a bunch of characters because it's in recovery), then click the exit recovery button in TinyUmbrella, it should kick your phone out of recovery mode. Your phone should boot and continue the OS update.....at least it did for me.
    Tried couple of times, didn't work, had to restore completely from an old backup.

Thanks any way.

Never had any issue with OTA update before, it's first time, lessons learned, have to backup before update.
    10-28-2013 08:59 PM
    Today when trying to update my iPad to 7.0.4 it got stuck in recovery mode. If not for your post Gib, I would have lost everything on my iPad. I downloaded TinyUmbrella and it worked like a charm! Great tip! Thanks!!!
    GibMcFragger likes this.
    11-15-2013 06:41 PM
    Today when trying to update my iPad to 7.0.4 it got stuck in recovery mode. If not for your post Gib, I would have lost everything on my iPad. I downloaded TinyUmbrella and it worked like a charm! Great tip! Thanks!!!
    Awesome! Glad I could help!
    11-15-2013 11:42 PM
    so much win!!!!!
    11-25-2013 08:01 AM
    Okay, so get this... I just HAD to register so I could reply to this thread to thank Gib so, so, SO MUCH for posting this fix to get my iPad out of recovery! Worked like an absolute charm without data loss. I have been fretting about my "out of order" iPad for over a month (after trying to 7.0.3 I might add!) and finally went in to the Apple Store today only to have them tell me that their solution would wipe out all of my data (which I already figured). I saw Gib's fix a few weeks ago and was too chicken to try it without at least consulting the "geniuses" : ) I came home and figured out how to get TinyUmbrella running on my system (I think I downloaded an old version a couple weeks ago and it wouldn't install properly) and BINGO! I am good to go! So happy! Thanks again, Gib! You are a lifesaver : )
    12-08-2013 01:17 AM