I guess they should, at least for older devices that don't run latest updates so well. I have a friend with a iP4 that wants to throw it out of the window because he upgraded to a iOS7 and phone is reeallly slow and laggy he wishes he didn't now he can't downgrade and went to upgrade his phone but now has to wait like 3 weeks to get an iPhone 5s. That's just crazy sometimes :s
    I was running iOS 7 on my iPhone 4 prior to picking up my 5S. While it wasn't perfectly smooth, it was 100% livable, and I would say no worse than iOS 6 in terms of lag or stutters. I experienced no crashes or excessive issues of any kind. I did restore and set up as new when switching to iOS 7. But I do that with every new overhaul of iOS.
    10-15-2013 08:11 PM
    No confusion here. Except for those that think this little exercise will change anything.

No animosity. I just see this issue for what it is... an exercise in futility. Its not going to happen, so why get yourselves all whipped up and in a frenzy about it. Apple will never do this, so the whole thread is pointless and moot.

Im done with this one. If you are convinced that it should happen, and talking about it here will help make it happen, have at it. Dont let me rain on your parade...
    I'm not sure anyone here has suggested a petition in the hopes of changing Apple's strategy. Calling it an "exercise" rather than the "discussion" is a tad disingenuous.

Based on this reply, you're clearly still confused. Take a look through iMore's forums. Apparently we should remove the "rumors" section because those may not happen and discussing them here certainly won't change what happens. You're entirely confused in your belief that people discussing it means they're naive enough to think Apple is going to spend time on iMore's forums looking for ideas going forward. They were simply discussing.
    10-15-2013 10:39 PM
    I must say...the conversations here, I find at iMore, is so much more intelligible and sane than the delusional users at crackberry, but not all of them.

The issue at hand or topic being discussed here is so much more evolved than the group who is in support of devices that are no longer relevant in today's society. So irrelevant that it's becoming more insufferable by the day as portrayed by posts that are so "delusional".

You guys here have no idea how great you have it. I'm grateful to still have hung onto my 4S.

Posted via BlackBerry Z10 <------only when you have finally given up on life
    10-16-2013 03:34 AM
    I must say...the conversations here, I find at iMore, is so much more intelligible and sane than the delusional users at crackberry, but not all of them.

The issue at hand or topic being discussed here is so much more evolved than the group who is in support of devices that are no longer relevant in today's society. So irrelevant that it's becoming more insufferable by the day as portrayed by posts that are so "delusional".

You guys here have no idea how great you have it. I'm grateful to still have hung onto my 4S.

Well, you can't blame the Crackberrians, the company itself is going a little crazy lately. It is proportionate to the amount of madness that the Crackberry forums operate on...

Apple doesn't have that problem.
    WhiteSpir1t likes this.
    10-16-2013 04:18 AM

Good convos exist on CB if one is willing enough to ignore the chaff... just like on every internet forum.

I think CB has some of the most intelligent posters on MN... but I may be a bit biased.
    WhiteSpir1t likes this.
    10-17-2013 04:24 PM
    I guess you can sue Apple to downgrade like the guy in this article:

http://m.cnet.com/news/apple-taken-t...nload/57608171
    10-19-2013 02:50 PM
    It would be a nice choice to have but it might also be difficult to keep data and settings straight if you are downgrading to previous versions of apps that work in 6 but not in 7. And how would that be done automagically? Not very is my guess. I think there's a trade off one needs to accept when moving from 6 to 7. It's not all roses and champaign up at 7 but I think the advantages of 7 far outweigh the disadvantages of staying on 6. We're really following the developers as well as Apple. And they are voting overwhelmingly in favor of iOS 7. Incredible number of updates for iOS 7 plus many are making entirely new apps to take advantage of the A7 and M7 processors as well as just plain old 32-bit iOS 7 for the older iPhones. I think any downgrade to iOS 6 might require a RESTORE path rather than an as you were mode. But I doubt Apple will offer this proposed downgrade unless that guy suing them gets a court order for Apple to offer it. Highly unlikely. I can't see a judge telling Apple how to run their business. 😜
    10-19-2013 03:03 PM
    My belief is no. If you've issues if the ios7 then best voicing them. Over time apple will listen and rectify. Going back will only leave what issues that may apply. Seems pointless to me
    10-19-2013 03:15 PM
    No. Plain and simple, having all devices on the same OS helps make the Apple experience possible. We see how well 10 different versions of OS is working out for Android.

Tappin and Talkin from my iPhone 5
    10-19-2013 03:20 PM
    There are already older devices still running older versions of iOS. So why not let a few newer devices do the same if the owners decide that's what they want? I think they have the resources to do that. But then, offering a choice isn't really Apple's way. I wonder, do any of those older devices still get iOS updates with security fixes or are they completely unsupported?
    10-19-2013 06:19 PM
    There are already older devices still running older versions of iOS. So why not let a few newer devices do the same if the owners decide that's what they want? I think they have the resources to do that. But then, offering a choice isn't really Apple's way. I wonder, do any of those older devices still get iOS updates with security fixes or are they completely unsupported?
    The older versions of iOS are unsupported, in the sense of security updates/fixes. There will be no new updates to any version of iOS prior to the current version (as of this writing, iOS 7). The original iPhone is stuck at iOS 3.13. The iPhone 3G and 3GS are stuck at 6.1.3. At some point, the iPhone 4, 4S, 5, 5C and 5S will stop getting updates, and what ever the most current is at that time will be it.
    Lawns likes this.
    10-19-2013 07:17 PM
    Lead, follow, or get out the way

As it has been said..."if you are not the lead dog on the team, the view never changes."

Sent from somewhere.
    10-19-2013 08:41 PM
    I just think its ridiculous that Apple is passive-aggresivley forcing people to update to iOS7 by downloading it to people's phones without permission and taking up valuable space even when the user may not want to update.
    10-20-2013 09:31 PM
    There is already fragmentation of the platform because not all devices get the latest updates or features of the new OS
    How come that there is fragmentation?! Prior to the final release of IOS 7, iPad 2 users did not have photo editor filters and square shots! But now on, I'm surprised that those unavailable features were now available in the final release!
    10-21-2013 09:31 AM
    Running in my iPad 2, IOS 7 looks as smooth as in IOS 6. I don't want to downgrade to 6 but my suggestion is not to auto update if A newer IOS is released.
    -Still happy w/ my iPad 2
    10-21-2013 09:34 AM
    i do not think so ,,without jailbreak ur device its not possible ....... we cant downgrade officially in ios device
    till date there is no options to going down in ios from apple server ......???????
    10-21-2013 09:42 AM
    i do not think so ,,without jailbreak ur device its not possible ....... we cant downgrade officially in ios device
    till date there is no options to going down in ios from apple server ......???????
    Nope. Unless you Jailbreak, like you mentioned and spoof iTunes into thinking the fake server youre running along ith your saved shsh blobs is the actual Apple server that authenticates the update.

What Apple does is they dont sign or "authenticate" any update that isn't the latest one for the device to prevent people from going back to the previous versions.
    10-27-2013 02:29 AM
    I think a downgrade should be allowed or at least STOP the automatic download of the new OS to the device.

I kind of agree with this a lot and hoped it changed some minds.http://m.techradar.com/news/computin...nloads-1191198
    nyry likes this.
    10-27-2013 08:14 PM
    Well, it seems a bit counterintuitive (if I'm even using the right word), since by allowing the user to revert back to a previous OS or two for a prolonged time, it shows that Apple isn't confident that everybody will like and enjoy the new OS.
    it is not about being happy with iOS 7. It is about the hardware limitation of iPhone 4, iPad 2 and 3. The first two devices barely keep up with the newest iOS 7, and this result in multiple crashes and overall lag in the workflow.
    03-15-2014 12:47 PM
    Yes, I really do think they should allow it. Some people really preferred a previous version. Options are always good.

Sent from my electronic device using Tapatalk.
    03-15-2014 01:54 PM
    I am still using 6 on my 4s. Will not be upgrading. I will be the 1% remaining.
    03-15-2014 03:20 PM
    It is funny how discussion of a choice went this far in this regard (downgrading OS) and in other manners it is "no issues,fine with it"..

P.S: ok that was some lame hate D (i am an iOS user myself)

but actually Apple is all about uniformity and simplicity,and giving users and well-defined and coherent experience,So Apple will never do it IMHO

(And the bashing continues ) While there was a choice of not updating the phone as someone mentioned,it makes no sense that this downgrade allowance is THAT important thing....
    03-15-2014 04:18 PM
    As the other person said, if an OS makes a previous device buggy/laggy, a user should have the "choice" to downgrade. Apple gave users a "choice" of colors with the 5c right?

Nobody is asking for custom ROMS and such, just the ability to have a more usable OS of the device in which they bought.

For me, I find nothing of importance in 7, just some fancy colors and icons. I really like my 4s running 6, but I really want a new/different device. At this point, an upgrade to 5c/5s/or future 6 won't happen.
    Kashan Osama likes this.
    03-15-2014 04:27 PM
    As the other person said, if an OS makes a previous device buggy/laggy, a user should have the "choice" to downgrade. Apple gave users a "choice" of colors with the 5c right?

Nobody is asking for custom ROMS and such, just the ability to have a more usable OS of the device in which they bought.

For me, I find nothing of importance in 7, just some fancy colors and icons. I really like my 4s running 6, but I really want a new/different device. At this point, an upgrade to 5c/5s/or future 6 won't happen.

iOS was meant to be simple,it would not jump up like that,It is about time they start adding features (OK,GIVE ME ZERO CUSTOMIZABILITY BUT SOME ******* FEATURE-FULl EXPERIENCE APPLE ) or they will lose the battle slowly,without even recognizing,just like Nokia/Moto etc
    03-15-2014 04:32 PM
    There are a lot of older people that do not see walk-throughs and reviews. All that they see is that an upgrade is available, so they click on it. I think that Apple should hold the previous version open for reinstall for at least two weeks. Don't you test drive a car before you buy it?
    I think most people get annoyed at the badge icon sitting on top of their Settings icon, so they just give in. I know it annoys me!
    Kashan Osama likes this.
    03-15-2014 09:35 PM
110 ... 2345