Noticed this a while back but only just figured out a workaround today. On installing iOS 7 on my ipad I deleted the favourites that it adds in pretty much straight away (yahoo, bing etc). Ever since the Private button at the lower left doesn't show when opening a new tab. Seems this only appears if you have at least 1 item in whatever folder you have set as favourites in the settings > safari > favourites option.

Not exactly game breaking but it's been annoying me where the button disappeared to - hopefully it might help someone else in the same situation!
    10-06-2013 06:06 PM
    When you're in "private" browsing mode, the browser's theme is dark. The word, "Private", indeed appears in the lower left corner. When you add more tabs, it does not display on the individual tabs, however, when you select the add tab icon, all of your open tabs appear, and "Private" is clearly visible in the lower left corner. Furthermore, the dark browser theme is still apparent letting you know that you're still browsing privately. Just knowing that is sufficient for me.
    10-06-2013 06:43 PM
    It's not that I can't tell its in private, the button to toggle private mode doesn't appear at all. I've added a bookmark to that folder now so it's solved the problem but I get the impression it should still show up even if there aren't any

Here's some screenshots to clarify:

Safari "private" button not showing-image.jpg

With an empty Favourites folder

Safari "private" button not showing-image.jpg

With something added
    10-07-2013 03:03 AM