Chris Cook5

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
I'm trying AirDrop but doesn't seem to work well. I have Wi-Fi & Bluetooth both on. The other device has them on as well. Do you have to be right next to each other?

Sent from my 5s iPhone using iMore Forums mobile app

Chris Cook5

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
They're all iPhones 5. I did find out it only works right next to that person. The person doesn't show up under AirDrop from room to room. Should it?

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
They're all iPhones 5. I did find out it only works right next to that person. The person doesn't show up under AirDrop from room to room. Should it?

On Bluetooth probably not I've only used airdrop once and it was a large room with multiple users on BT and it worked fine

Sent from my iPhone 5

Chris Cook5

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
does it need Bluetooth as well or just wifi? I keep trying it and it won't even pick up the person in the room next to the other room

Nolander07

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
I am pretty sure you have to have it set to everyone, unless your contacts info has the other person's email they use for their Apple ID.

Rocket_Girl

Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
I am pretty sure you have to have it set to everyone, unless your contacts info has the other person's email they use for their Apple ID.

I have gotten it to work ONLY when set to everyone. I have used it to drop from my iphone to ipad or reverse- even for MY OWN DEVICES, it must still be set to 'Everyone'. I just shut it off when not using, so am fine w/ setting to 'Everyone' fore the two seconds it takes to transfer. It is SO COOL! Used to email random photos to myself to get them to the other device on demand. For this purpose if no other, AirDrop rocks.

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
I have found that it only works if people are really close to me, it doesn't seem to work through walls for me, even if they are less than 30 feet away.

EpicRavensFan

Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
I used it to transfer all of my pics and videos from my 5 to my 5s before I sold the 5. I used it on wifi only and didn't have Bluetooth turned on. I didn't even think to test the distance because I was only trying to get my stuff off of the old phone. I can't try it now because the wife only has a 4s and isn't due for an upgrade until December.

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
I tried it for the first time Friday at an event and it worked as long as you were in about 20 feet. It does crush battery though.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I haven't even tried this feature yet as all of my iPhone 5 to 5S photos were transferred via iCloud. I would like to try it at some point to see how it works.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk Pro.

Lamont Raccoon

Aug 14, 2013
Visit site
Odd.... I used it a few times and the person I used it was in New York I live in Louisiana. o_O WAIT I take that back, I used the shared Streams... not Air Drop my bad peoples... carry on nothing to see here. - hides-

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I tried it for the first time Friday at an event and it worked as long as you were in about 20 feet. It does crush battery though.
I've used AirDrop a couple of times, but didn't pay attention to its effect on the battery. I mean, I was only transferring a photo or two and it only took seconds to transfer.

I haven't even tried this feature yet as all of my iPhone 5 to 5S photos were transferred via iCloud. I would like to try it at some point to see how it works.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk Pro.
In my opinion, it works quite well, but I still can't shake the feeling that the process should be simpler. Don't get me wrong, it's not currently difficult to use at all.

piranhadonna

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
I used it to transfer all of my pics and videos from my 5 to my 5s before I sold the 5. I used it on wifi only and didn't have Bluetooth turned on. I didn't even think to test the distance because I was only trying to get my stuff off of the old phone. I can't try it now because the wife only has a 4s and isn't due for an upgrade until December.

My only option to use it is with Bluetooth turned on. I can't use it any other way.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR