Thunderbird address book sync?

gordol

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
Since we can now (finally!) sync Firefox bookmarks to Mobile Safari, I've been looking for a way to sync my Thunderbird address book to my iDevices without going through GMail, and can't find a plug in for this. Is there a way to sync this? Since it's doubtful I'll return to an Android at this point, I'd like to move my data off of Google.

For that matter, is there a way to copy my Google Calendar to the iCloud calendar?

gordol

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
For the calendar, you should be able to export it from Google and then use iCloud.com and import it (or a Mac if you have one).
Thank you.
I imagine you can do the same with Thunderbird contacts. You should be able to export them from Thunderbird and then import into iCloud.
Except that I want to sync my contacts, not import them.

yaynative

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
you are not going to be able to sync contacts or calendar between icloud and Thunderbird. I missed that part of your OP, sorry.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
In Thunderbird - export your contact list to a CSV file... then, Bing/Google search how to covert a CSV file to vcard... then - convert your CSV file to vcard... go to iCloud.com via web browser... select the contacts 'tab'... and hit the gear lower right corner... select import vcard...

gordol

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
Thunderbird has add-ons available to sync its contacts with GMail contacts. I'm trying to find out if there is anything that I have missed will sync Thunderbird contacts with iCloud.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Thunderbird has add-ons available to sync its contacts with GMail contacts. I'm trying to find out if there is anything that I have missed will sync Thunderbird contacts with iCloud.

I didn't find one... hence why I suggested the export...

gordol

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
I didn't find one... hence why I suggested the export...
Thanks.

I am currently syncing TBird to my iDevices via GMail, I want to take GMail out of the loop and replace it with iCloud. Hence my question... Exporting is not a viable alternative because that is not a sync, and every time I add, delete or update a contact, I'll have to export/import or do double-maintenance.

That IS a viable method for my calendar, because I'm not using a PC-installed calendar. I access that on my iDevices or on the cloud service. So a one-time export/import would work.

danran

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
When I updated to iOS7 on my iPhone 5 it asked me if I wanted to activate just that Syncing my bookmarks "and" my contacts. Which I did the only problem that gave me was multipule double ups of my contacts because I already had manually added contacts to each account. So I then had to go through and edit those double-ups on my phone then sync to iCloud after that, now its all good. :yes:

Trees

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Thunderbird was my email client before moving to OSX and Mail. Did a good bit of searching, but didn't see any options without an intermediary.

So, would another email client like Opera be an option? I also experimented with Zimbra Desktop pre OSX, and liked what it had to offer. Just checked, and didn't see an obvious Contacts sync with iCloud. Maybe Opera has support.

As for intermediary, maybe owncloud has support?

gordol

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
Ok, so I can't go straight from Thunderbird to iOS for address book syncing. What about Thunderbird syncing the address book to Outlook? iTunes and iCloud both have Outlook syncing built-in, but I am in no way interested in changing my mail client to Outlook, though it is installed.

Trees

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Hmmm, what about just making your iPhone the primary Contacts manager? As your idea suggests, use iTunes as the local synch point.
If your contacts don't change frequently, perhaps a semi manual process is a reasonable way to go.
Just ran across this Sharing address books - MozillaZine Knowledge Base Maybe some options there like sharing the actual address book file between programs (Outlook and TB)?

gordol

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
A manual "sync" is not an option for me, because I WILL forget to do the import/export and wind up with out of date or missing data on one end or the other, or worse, both.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR