Thunderbird address book sync?

ChisleRA

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
It very easy for calendar: just download the Thunderbird ad-on called Lightning 2.6.4 and the syn between Google Calendar and Thunderbird Calendar happen in a flash and continues to syn forever!
Now can anybody tell me how to sync Thunderbird Contacts with my Iphone withOUT using Icloud?

gordol

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
It very easy for calendar: just download the Thunderbird ad-on called Lightning 2.6.4 and the syn between Google Calendar and Thunderbird Calendar happen in a flash and continues to syn forever!
Now can anybody tell me how to sync Thunderbird Contacts with my Iphone withOUT using Icloud?

There are a few to sync TBird contacts via GMail. There are none to use iCloud. Hence my thread starter.

gseo

Mar 21, 2014
Visit site
Firstly, I feel your pain that so many don't seem to understand the difference between import and sync. Every time this question comes up in any forum, people always provide information on how to import, not sync. Not to mention, we're talking contacts here people, not calendars, we all know about CalDAV.

With that said, I've come across two possible solutions... sort of. First, there's a fairly decent email client - eM Client - that hooks directly into iCloud. No, really. The updates from iCloud to eM Client are quick (it appears as though eM Client will poll iCloud every time it senses the user is in the contacts section and/or the app regains focus - not sure if this is true, but it does appear this way). I have not tried eM Client to iCloud sync, and well, I'm not going to... more on that later. eM Client also has quite a nice interface, a fast universal search, smart folders, etc, etc. Oh - and two-line email sender/subject entries, unlike Thunderbird. For personal use it's free - up to two email accounts. For anything beyond that, it's $49.95. For iCloud contacts, it doesn't presently sync iCloud groups. It also works with Gmail and syncs Gmail contact groups, although predictably the respective contact pools (iCloud, Google, etc) are separate and not cross-synced.

The second solution is 'Contacts Sync for Google Gmail with Auto Sync' by Playa Apps. It can be found in the iTunes app store. I haven't tried it yet, but it seems to offer auto syncing on an iOS device that will in effect sync contacts between iCloud and Gmail, including the groups. There's also the option for one-way sync, probably a good idea as things can become quite ugly when trying to sync Gmail contacts to iCloud (or for that matter any non-Apple contacts to iCloud). In essence, one could manage their iCloud contacts within the Apple realm (iCloud website, recent Mac or iOS device), sync one way out to Gmail, and then use gContactSync to sync Gmail to Thunderbird. Voil?, iCloud contacts in Thunderbird, via Gmail. The price of the app presently is $2.99.

I myself have been trying to achieve true, non-duplicate iCloud contact sync/propagation into a non-Outlook Windows email client over the years - finding periodic, short-lived solutions (as in free or at least affordable - no, Plaxo, I'm not paying you $5 per month ad infinitum) - and now it looks as though there might be a couple of viable alternatives!

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

dvdgremlin

Apr 25, 2014
Visit site
yes, it's really painful that people seem to think describing how to transfer the data answers a query about syncing !!!

let's explain... to sync... to change a piece of data in one place and have it automatically altered in another. so that isn't downloading and then reloading it somewhere else. that is manual and not automatic.

so back to that there question... how do we automatically sync between icloud and tbird/lightning please WITHOUT using google. google is not your friend, they datamine.

dvdgremlin

Apr 25, 2014
Visit site
btw em client costs rather a lot for the pro version (more than two accounts). it is $49 for the software and then $49 for updates to it !!!

gordol

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
yes, it's really painful that people seem to think describing how to transfer the data answers a query about syncing !!!

let's explain... to sync... to change a piece of data in one place and have it automatically altered in another. so that isn't downloading and then reloading it somewhere else. that is manual and not automatic.

so back to that there question... how do we automatically sync between icloud and tbird/lightning please WITHOUT using google. google is not your friend, they datamine.

I've run into the same thing myself, when I was trying to find a way to SYNC between TBird and my iPhone without Google. All I got were one-time transfer instructions. Eventually, I gave up. Because I realized that they ALL datamine. There is no local sync optioin I have been able to locate. If you want local syncing without going through a cloud service, use Outlook on a Windows machine or Mail.app on a Mac, and set iTunes to sync the contacts list. OTher than that, you're looking at an online solution.

And if you think that Apple isn't datmining you too, you're sorely mistaken. Take a look at all of your iPhone settings, there is one to turn off targetted ads. That right there tells you that Apple is data mining you.

dvdgremlin

Apr 25, 2014
Visit site
Yes, I know Apple datamine but it isn't their primary source of income whereas it is for google. google have been caught locating and logging unsecure wifi locations when they drive around for googlemaps. if they will do that what else are they doing ?

I use google but like all social networking tools it only has the information from me that I allow it to have. that means they do not know my name or my personal contact's names or details. They do not have my calendar or my personal email accounts. I don't use google search, I use duckduck. It's impossible to compartmentalise everything but I try to limit the linking up of my data.

anyway, back to the plot. I have private data being held on android and apple syncing happily. I have one google calendar/ addressbook that I use for phone, tbird syncing. I simply need to get out from google when I can replicate that role elsewhere.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73