Safari browser needs a serious update

nyc_rock

Sep 19, 2006
Visit site
Coming back to the Iphone after 6 months with Android has been a great experience except for browsing. I can live with the smaller screen size of the 5S but when is apple going to update the browser to better utilize the screen? Text reflow would be the best solution and I just cant understand why Apple refuses to give us the feature. It is so annoying to have to flip the phone into landscape mode just to read a webpage. Apple prides itself on UX and this has been overlooked for too long. At least let us set the minimum text size.

I hope they read this and the feature request I made on their website.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
No arguments, here, my friend...:)....I, too, would prefer a text reflow feature in Safari. That is indeed one of the features I miss from Android.

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
How does reflow work again? I've never used Android?how does it differ from the iOS behavior of tapping on a column to fill the screen width? (I know it's different but can't picture how.)

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
How does reflow work again? I've never used Android—how does it differ from the iOS behavior of tapping on a column to fill the screen width? (I know it's different but can't picture how.)
Massie, it automatically reformat the webpage so you don't have to pinch & zoom, whether in portrait or landscape mode.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Apple did update Safari in iOS 7 by going Fullscreen mode while in portrait mode. Before this was only available in landscape mode. Most of the full sites that I go to have the Read feature available which will remove all the adds and junk on a page.

Sent from my iPad Mini using Tapatalk Pro

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
The reader mode is much better than simple reflow. I use it many times each day.

That's debatable. Text reflow is automatic, and no matter how far I zoom out to enlarge the font size, the page automatically adjusts for it, whereas the reader feature, although excellently done by Apple, is fixed. I will easily admit that the built-in reader feature of Safari should be more than sufficient for a great deal of people.

artwest50

Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
This is the one thing that I missed when I went from IOS 6 to IOS 7; and this was Reader Mode. But then after increasing Text size & Bold; and locating where the Reader Mode button is now located (Paragraph Symbol on top left URL) instead of where it used to be in IOS 6. Large, Bold, Text letters; No Graphics!) Eye Saver!

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
I had to re-watch that video 4 times before I could get past the length of that guy's fingernail.

I had no idea in all of my android experiences that you could reflow text like that. Interesting.