I have an iPhone 5S using iOS 7.02, and a gmail email account using the Gmail app. I have tried emailing to myself through Chrome, feedly, a few others; only the Gmail app itself, and Evernote work sending email to myself. Any ideas? I checked spam, I also did a phone restart and it still does not work. This all just happened this evening, I regularly email article links to myself for later reading.

I have to say iOS 7 is the buggiest iOS I have seen since my limited experience starting with iOS 5. Boy I hope they stabilize this soon.
    10-01-2013 09:14 PM
    I have an iPhone 5S using iOS 7.02, and a gmail email account using the Gmail app. I have tried emailing to myself through Chrome, feedly, a few others; only the Gmail app itself, and Evernote work sending email to myself. Any ideas? I checked spam, I also did a phone restart and it still does not work. This all just happened this evening, I regularly email article links to myself for later reading.

I have to say iOS 7 is the buggiest iOS I have seen since my limited experience starting with iOS 5. Boy I hope they stabilize this soon.
    Try rebooting your device.
    10-01-2013 09:19 PM
    I did reboot the device, that's what I meant by a restart.
    10-01-2013 09:24 PM

Those could easily be problems with the apps themselves, not iOS. Contact the app developers with problems.
    10-01-2013 09:38 PM
    All of them? Breaking at the same time? Really?
    10-01-2013 09:48 PM
    All of them? Breaking at the same time? Really?
    If they haven't been updated properly for iOS 7 then yes. I have no idea of the status of those particular apps though.

It could be a problem with mail as a whole, of course, but you were mentioning specific apps that it wasn't working in and others that it was. Seems logical that it's the app's fault. What about the default Mail app that comes with iOS? Does it work there?
    donawalt likes this.
    10-01-2013 09:52 PM
    Good catch!! I went to iOS mail client and all my messages are in the outbox and it says

the server imap.gmail.com is not responding. Check settings...etc.
    10-01-2013 10:08 PM
    No issues here.

Sent from somewhere.
    10-01-2013 10:16 PM
    It may have been a Gmail server problem - I went into Mail, Contacts, Calendars/Accounts Gmail/Outgoing Mail Server SMTP/and there was a choice to turn on an additional Other SMTP Server, smtp.gmail.com. I selected that, turned it on, and I just had to give my Gmail password and it was on. After that emails started working from all the apps!

Hope that helps someone else who may experience this problem! Apologies to my criticism of iOS (I would still like background updates to work more reliably though :-))
    ​And thanks to Karen for her suggestions and insight!
    10-02-2013 06:51 AM
    As an extra factoid, the option of a second server does not exist in the same place under settings on my iPad (also iOS 7.0.2). Strange...
    10-02-2013 02:47 PM
    Reading things like this make me want to cling to this iPhone 5 and Gmail setup via Exchange forever.
    10-02-2013 04:01 PM
    Reading things like this make me want to cling to this iPhone 5 and Gmail setup via Exchange forever.
    It's working fine today, even on the iPad with the one server in the settings. It must have just been a problem between Gmail smtp server(s) and the stock Mail app, which appears to be where things go through to be sent, if not using my custom Gmail app from the store. I didn't realize that sending an email from feedly for example, goes through the outbox of the Mail app.

​Anyway - all seems fine today!
    10-02-2013 04:38 PM