Safari: Google images renders differently...crashes app

edd

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
So pre-iOS 7, you could do a search on Safari for something. Let's use Megan Fox as the example. Type in her name, you get the hits. On a search like that you pretty much get a few photos from Google's Images right at the top of the hits. Click on one of the pics shown, it would go full screen, then you could go through the images carousel style by continuing to swipe to the left. The pics would pretty much all be full screen.

Now, when you do the same thing, you click on one of the pics, the next page is that pic that barely takes up one third of the screen. The photo is square...Instagram style, and there's no scrolling to other images. To see additional pics you have to go back. The carousel scrolling is gone in Safari. It's now more like the desktop experience.

sidenote: this action intermittently crashes the app. Scrolling easily through those images was something I always liked about Safari on Google searches.

Anyone seeing this?

taz323

Mar 10, 2013
Visit site
So pre-iOS 7, you could do a search on Safari for something. Let's use Megan Fox as the example. Type in her name, you get the hits. On a search like that you pretty much get a few photos from Google's Images right at the top of the hits. Click on one of the pics shown, it would go full screen, then you could go through the images carousel style by continuing to swipe to the left. The pics would pretty much all be full screen.

Now, when you do the same thing, you click on one of the pics, the next page is that pic that barely takes up one third of the screen. The photo is square...Instagram style, and there's no scrolling to other images. To see additional pics you have to go back. The carousel scrolling is gone in Safari. It's now more like the desktop experience.

sidenote: this action intermittently crashes the app. Scrolling easily through those images was something I always liked about Safari on Google searches.

Anyone seeing this?

Agree didn't like the change, changed browser over to Bing, don't have the scrolling of the carousel like Google had, but it is easier than going back and forth.

edd

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
So I changed the search engine to Yahoo and that achieves the desired image scrolling. Time will tell if it's worth abandoning Google.

When I started this thread I was using the iPhone but, doing the same on the iPad yielded a different result. Clicking on an image brought me directly to a Google + link. This leads me to believe that this change stems from Google alone.

It's funny how this appeared to coincide with iOS 7's release. Could be coincidental or maybe it's been there and I haven't noticed it.

taz323

Mar 10, 2013
Visit site
So I changed the search engine to Yahoo and that achieves the desired image scrolling. Time will tell if it's worth abandoning Google.

When I started this thread I was using the iPhone but, doing the same on the iPad yielded a different result. Clicking on an image brought me directly to a Google + link. This leads me to believe that this change stems from Google alone.

It's funny how this appeared to coincide with iOS 7's release. Could be coincidental or maybe it's been there and I haven't noticed it.

I did try Yahoo, but found a lot things to be grainy, but it does have the scrolling. Prefer Google over all the others... Maybe they will change back.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janikhan1234