I'm not fully understanding it. When I open apps I still have to wait for them to load. I thought this wouldn't need to happen anymore. Is it because developers need to update apps? Can anyone clarify how multitasking works?
    09-26-2013 01:28 AM
    You have to give apps permission to load in the background. Settings > general > background app refresh.
    09-26-2013 02:16 AM
    I'm not fully understanding it. When I open apps I still have to wait for them to load. I thought this wouldn't need to happen anymore. Is it because developers need to update apps? Can anyone clarify how multitasking works?
    I believe that there are two questions being asked here.

1. Are you connected to wifi? Sometimes apps like twitter, Facebook, etc. won't load very promptly if you're just on 3G.

2. Multitasking is just two quick clicks away to the home button. From here you can easily switch between apps and also swipe up on page (if running iOS 7) and this basically just turns them off. It's good to do this every now and then.
    09-26-2013 02:21 AM
    There are different types of multi tasking all of which have to be enabled by a developer.
    1) stuff like GPS, audio, VoIP. These existed prior to iOS 7.
    2) background data fetching is new to iOS 7 and can allow an app to get data from a server. An example would be a newspaper fetching articles.

Other apps still follow the existing rules which is that when they are not in the foreground, they are suspended. Any app which is suspended can be completely closed if iOS needs to due to memory constraints. So if you have an app that you switched away from and did other stuff for a while and when you return to it you get the splash screen, it means that it was suspended first (when it resumes from being suspended you do not get the splash screen) and then completely closed by the operating system.
    09-26-2013 08:58 AM
    Can the Apple podcast app be updated so it could download subscriptions without opening the app?
    09-27-2013 02:36 AM
    Can the Apple podcast app be updated so it could download subscriptions without opening the app?
    I'm sure it can. But none of Apple's AppStore apps (as opposed to apps that come with iOS) have been updated yet. I have no inside knowledge but background updating of podcasts seems like something that would be included in an update.
    09-27-2013 07:49 AM