Picture Frame gone, replacement app?

gordol

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
I asked this over in the App forum, and got no answer so I thought I'd try here where there might be more visibility:

With the removal of the "Picture Frame" function from the photos app, are there any third-party applications that can do the same thing? So far, my searches of the App Store have shown me a gazillion applications to create slideshows for saving, printing and sharing (most of which include frame and collage options, utterly useless for what I want), but not just showing one locally on the fly.

One of the daily uses of my iPad (iPad 2) is as a photo frame on my desk at work. I used to be able to set a random slideshow of the entire photo library I have on the device regardless of the album or what Apple mistakenly and laughably now calls "moments". I want this functionality back.

bitshifter1001

Jul 7, 2011
Visit site
On my iPad I can still do slideshows. Is that what you are talking about?

Open the Photos app. Click Albums on the bottom. Select Camera Roll. Click Slideshow at the top.

gordol

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
Open the Photos app. Click Albums on the bottom. Select Camera Roll. Click Slideshow at the top.

Camera Roll does not equal "the entire photo library I have on the device regardless of the album". And not that it matters, but the Camera Roll on my iPad is empty. The iPad is a horrible camera.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Camera Roll does not equal "the entire photo library I have on the device regardless of the album". And not that it matters, but the Camera Roll on my iPad is empty. The iPad is a horrible camera.

Make an album on your iPad of all the pictures you want to use as a slideshow... then proceed as above... you can slideshow any album on your iPad...

gordol

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
Make an album on your iPad of all the pictures you want to use as a slideshow... then proceed as above... you can slideshow any album on your iPad...

Make a single album of all 5000+ photos that are already nicely arranged into their correct topical albums? These are synced from my desktop by folder location, where they must remain in their correct folder based albums.

I do appreciate the suggestions as attempts to help. It just so happens that these, so far at least, are not workable/viable.

gordol

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
[URL="https://www.apple.com/feedback/ipad.html#mn_p]Apple - iPad - Feedback[/URL]

It's already all over Apple's own forums (I know, not the same as their feedback channel), but I didn't see any suggestions for replacement apps there either.

Katie2255

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
I've tried a few as I use my iPad the same way.

Picmatic is my favourite - let's you choose how the photos are arranged and add filters, also lets you choose which albums you want to show (or show all your albums if that's what you're after). That app is currently landscape only but I contacted the developers to ask if they could make it portrait too so I can use it while docked. They said they were working on it for the iPad and the new upgrade will be available in the next couple of weeks to allow this.

Hope that helps :)

gordol

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
Uniframe is a bust, even when set to show a single image, it does not show all of it, there is a variable amount missing from one side or the other. Picmatic looks good so far, though I don't understand why the single-image frame is a freemium feature.

GarrettS

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for this post. I was searching for a similar solution. I use the ipad as a touchscreen control panel for my home automation system and want to use the slide show as a screen saver after a period of inactivity on the device. I'm happy to check Picmatic to see if that functionality is included. Not sure why apple just doesn't reactive the capability even if as a separate App.

gordol

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for this post. I was searching for a similar solution. I use the ipad as a touchscreen control panel for my home automation system and want to use the slide show as a screen saver after a period of inactivity on the device. I'm happy to check Picmatic to see if that functionality is included. Not sure why apple just doesn't reactive the capability even if as a separate App.

That's not how an iPad works. The only option, at least natively, is to sleep the device after a period of inactivity.

Katharine Voldal

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site
Picmatic worked for me but you have to spend $1.99 to "go pro". But it's worth it, I, like you, have hundreds of photos on my iPad. Not at all getting Apple thinking taking away the slide show feature.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox