Clean Install?

Judson50

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
Good Morning!

I"ve been trying to find out to clean install iOS 7 on an iphone 5 and I cannot find it! Would someone be willing to help me find the correct step-by-step guidelines?

I ask because, my buddy updated OTA to iOS 7 on his iPhone 5 and honestly the whole thing is jacked up. Won't play music, even though there is music on his phone, will not connect to itunes. Battery dies in 3 hours (even with all PUSH, GPS, Parallax ect off). All his apps crash. It is honestly just so jacked up he can't even use it.

We've tried all the other "tricks" but now I want to clean install his phone and I cannot for the life of me find the directions.

Thank you in advance,

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
1. Locate the ipsw file for the device on your computer and move it to the trash bin. (Note: If you're uncomfortable removing the ipsw file (iOS firmware), start from step 2)
2. Download and install a fresh copy of iTunes 11.1
3. Put your device in DFU Mode and then connect it to iTunes.
4. iTunes will detect that your device is in recovery, but there should be nothing visible on the device itself.
5. Select restore. iTunes will download and install a fresh copy of iOS 7.
6. After installation, set up the device as new and NOT from a backup. (this is my personal preference). NOTE: You do not have to set up your device as new and can indeed restore from a backup, however, if you are unable to determine what caused the problems you were having before the clean install, why risk restore the problems that may be contained in the backup?

Anyway, I hope I was helpful. Take care.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
is this the same as restore as new? I noticed after I restored as new there were a couple of thing that lingered.
Restoring as new is basically not restoring from a backup after resetting your device to its default state. By the way, what things are lingering for you, if you don't mind me asking?

yaynative

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
I meant restoring as new and a "clean install." Some of the things that lingered after my restore as new was auto complete emails, my keyboard shortcuts and favorites in the phone app.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I meant restoring as new and a "clean install." Some of the things that lingered after my restore as new was auto complete emails, my keyboard shortcuts and favorites in the phone app.

Restoring as new and clean install are not the same thing, at least not in the manner I use those terms...;)...when I say a clean install, I'm referring to deleting the ipsw file and forcing iTunes to download and install a fresh copy of iOS. When I mention restoring as new, for the most part, I'm referring to iTunes re-installing the ipsw file that is already on your computer. The latter is sufficient to fix a majority of issues, but if you think that particular ipsw file is corrupted, and/or appear to still cause problems, a clean install may be in order. I hope that made sense. As for your lingering stuff, the things you mentioned maybe backed up to iCloud and when you configure your device, those settings re-sync to it.

yaynative

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
That makes perfect sense. Thank you. I always thought restoring as new was the same as a clean install. I will remember this for the future.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner