Why do I still have the update badge in iOS 7?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Try syncing with iTunes or rebooting your device to see if either will cause it to disappear.

stiofandG

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site
I'm on iPhone 4, running iOS 7.0. Geniuses at Applestore have never seen anything like this. 8 of them were standing around my phone completely spellbound. Particularly strange is the fact that the badge isn't a "1", it is an "l". 😳

geekamo

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
I was a little confused by seeing the update badge myself, because I thought it wasn't happening anymore.

But I think I understand what is happening (though I could be completely wrong)

In my case I had "3" in the badge, and when I went into the App Store, on the update tab it said 3 updates in pending status.

I couldn't figure out why they were "pending". But I'm starting to think, that iOS 7 will only update the apps in ideal conditions. IE - Strong wifi signal, battery indicator over XX%, etc.

The pending apps eventually updated themselves, and I just assumed its because I think by that time I had charged my phone and for more juice into it.

I could be completely wrong, although I hope I'm not. Because I hope the phone takes those things into account before it sucks up more juice just to update an app when I may be running low.

~ Geekamo

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I was a little confused by seeing the update badge myself, because I thought it wasn't happening anymore.

But I think I understand what is happening (though I could be completely wrong)

In my case I had "3" in the badge, and when I went into the App Store, on the update tab it said 3 updates in pending status.

I couldn't figure out why they were "pending". But I'm starting to think, that iOS 7 will only update the apps in ideal conditions. IE - Strong wifi signal, battery indicator over XX%, etc.

The pending apps eventually updated themselves, and I just assumed its because I think by that time I had charged my phone and for more juice into it.

I could be completely wrong, although I hope I'm not. Because I hope the phone takes those things into account before it sucks up more juice just to update an app when I may be running low.

~ Geekamo

The OP is tallking about a badge on the Settings icon. If you dig into the menus, under Settings / General / Software Update. When the phone/software thinks there’s a pending software update, it gets a (1) badge on the SETTINGS icon. The Software Upgrade will never auto-update.

This is significantly different from the App Store badging, which still occurs, but also now does auto-updating.

YOUR issue is NOT the same as the OP's issue... your issue could be several things, including the fact that most apps have updates, over 9 million new iPhones were sold this past weekend and now over 200 million devices are running iOS 7... all of this creates a situation where the App Store is completely hammered. Also, until the past week, Apple/the carriers limited cellular downloads to 50mb - meaning that some updates would not happen unless you were connected to wi-fi. That limit was upped to 100mb just this past week.

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
I have seen this a few times on iPhone 5's but not newer devices. Either a server issues on Apples end. Or the device is talking back and not fully completing the update sync - stating the device has the new iOS and there is nothing else to update.

stiofandG

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site
I am thinking that perhaps it has to do with the release of iOS 7.0.1 update. As I said, my badge just appeared the other day, it would seem to coincide with the release of that update. That particular update won't run on my iPhone 4 anyway, but maybe that's why the update doesn't show in my settings/software update. The bug in that case would be the badge letting me know about it.

I have attached a screen shot, note the "I" rather than the typical "1" on the settings icon.

Attachments

• IMG_3164.PNG
    IMG_3164.PNG
    1 MB · Views: 7

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods