iTunes Radio Likes and Dislikes

lbaxter

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
Not sure if there is another forum on this already (imore forum search didn't show one), but myself and at least one other iOS 7 user can't get iTunes Radio to actually play any songs when selecting a station. It acts like it's playing, but all it does is skips them all. Anyone else have this issue?

thejesusegg

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
I too would love to see a shuffle all feature added.
My biggest gripe is that you don't have a choice for lower quality sound over cell like Pandora does. It's a nice feature to have when you're in an area with lower bandwidth/coverage.
Also I notice if you listen to one station long enough it'll start to repeat songs it played like an hour ago and the rating of songs doesn't always stick.
Pandora still has a place on my phone since they have so much info on what I like/dislike now. It'll take time to get iTunes Radio to get there.
Overall though, not a bad alternative.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Not sure if there is another forum on this already (imore forum search didn't show one), but myself and at least one other iOS 7 user can't get iTunes Radio to actually play any songs when selecting a station. It acts like it's playing, but all it does is skips them all. Anyone else have this issue?

Is this a stock or custom station? There was another post where someone created a custom station with many different artists... by reducing the number of artist to about 10-13, it resolved the issue. Not sure if that’s your issue, but might be a place to start.

rdrum

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site

I experienced this a couple of times yesterday and today. A force close and re-start seemed to fix it, but I doubt I really did anything - it's likely that the great Apple music machine is getting bombarded and that they're working to stabilize the system. There's only so much good that automated load testing can do. Until you get software into the production environment, you're taking guesses (however well educated they may be) at what the loads will be like.

I would expect this kind of issue to occur off and on for the next few weeks until Apple gets it stabilized.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I've been playing around with iTunes radio and it's helped me to ditch the Pandora and Slacker apps (I haven't gotten rid of Spotify yet, though).

So far, I'm happy with the the programmed stations, as well as the artists that pop up on a particular artist station (e.g. Triumph, Pink Floyd, etc. show up on my Rush radio station).

I really only have one complaint about iTunes radio so far: I pay for iTunes Match and I am still limited in the number of skips. If I pay the premium on other services, I do not have a skip limit. Granted, I'm avoiding advertising by being a paid Match user, but I don't understand why Apple can't let me skip as much as I want to.

What features do you like or dislike about the new iTunes radio?

That is my biggest gripe. If I get iTunes Match then I don't get unlimited skips. Sucks. However if you pay the premium price on Pandora you still don't get unlimited skips.

My other dislikes are the fact that I can't ever use the thing while working out because I have no WiFi there. *shrugs*

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I haven't used iTuned Radio yet, but a question to those who have....can this or does this replace Pandora? Meaning, is the song selection just as good? I would love to drop Pandora and free up some space on my phone!

iTunes definitely has a huge song library. So that's an advantage that will probably show itself now that the public has access to it. All varies.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site

pr1nce

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I really like the selection of songs on iTunes Radio. The Channel I'm listening to now has played Justin Timberlake, Bruno Mars, Rihanna and Robin Thicke. Next I'm gonna check out some old school. I might be getting rid of Pandora.

Tryptykon

Apr 2, 2013
Visit site
I don't use Pandora but I used to use iHeart Radio, now that iTunes Radio has come along, iHeart Radio is now long and gone off my iPhone. Love the selections that iTunes Radio give with the custom stations that I have created. 2 things that irk me a bit though about iTunes Radio is 1. No sleep timer - this is something that iHeart Radio has spoiled me with. 2. No Led Zeppelin Artist radio.

pr1nce

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I don't use Pandora but I used to use iHeart Radio, now that iTunes Radio has come along, iHeart Radio is now long and gone off my iPhone. Love the selections that iTunes Radio give with the custom stations that I have created. 2 things that irk me a bit though about iTunes Radio is 1. No sleep timer - this is something that iHeart Radio has spoiled me with. 2. No Led Zeppelin Artist radio.

I agree with you about the sleep timer. I use that at night with Tunein Radio. Maybe it will be in an update.

lbaxter

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
Is this a stock or custom station? There was another post where someone created a custom station with many different artists... by reducing the number of artist to about 10-13, it resolved the issue. Not sure if that?s your issue, but might be a place to start.

It was iTunes' own station (any of them). I haven't even tried a custom one yet.

ryandthomas

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
It was iTunes' own station (any of them). I haven't even tried a custom one yet.

Mine has been doing the same thing, albeit intermittently. On both iTunes created stations, and my custom stations. All of my custom stations are one artist stations ex. "Justin Timberlake Radio" (don't judge me).

Earlier, I was able to switch from a custom station that was skipping constantly to an iTunes created station and the iTunes station played fine. As soon as I tried to switch to my created station, it started skipping. Then when I went back to the iTunes created station, it began skipping instead of playing correctly like before. I tried turning my phone off, and duplicating with both wifi on/off and LTE.

Nanci

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
I have an Alpine car stereo. It lets me play iPhone music, and recently started allowing me to see and use the iphone's controls rather than making me use Alpine's [crappy] controls. However, it wouldn't allow music from YouTube, Pandora, etc. It WILL play iTunes Radio, and I am thrilled!

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
i like it, a lot. i do not see myself ditching Spotify tho

that being said Spotify has radio as well so my iTunes Radio usage is not that much

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
Sleep Timer workaround for iTunes Radio

while music playing go to Clock > Timer > When Timer Ends > Stop Playing

Set Timer > Start

this should get you by until it is implemented into the Music app :)

I agree with you about the sleep timer. I use that at night with Tunein Radio. Maybe it will be in an update.

MrMars

Jun 2, 2012
Visit site
Anyone else having volume issues? Volume is quite soft even when turned all the way up. Same goes for music outside of iTunes Radio. Have checked volume restrictions and those are turned off.

Last edited:

MrMars

Jun 2, 2012
Visit site
On a couple occasions today I've opened the music app and the radio icon is missing. If I close it out and remove it from the open apps it appears. Some kind of bug?

Sent from my iPhone on Tapatalk Pro...

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2