I activated a new sealed iPhone 5 from eBay and during the set up I was asked if I wanted to download a number of apps as was mentioned. The iWork's apps and iMovie and iPhoto was included in those. It appears to be any newly registered device. So a device that has not been registered under an Apple ID in the past?
    09-21-2013 10:17 AM
    Unfortunately I couldn't test this because I gave Apple my money for all those apps a long time ago.
    09-21-2013 10:32 AM
    Here's something odd to add to the mix. I know that the iWork apps, iPhoto, and iMovie are only free on newer devices running iOS 7, but this morning I opened up the App Store to discover that all those apps were free to download on my iPhone 5. The only way that they were free for my device that I can think of is the fact that I had recently got my iPhone 5 replaced by apple due to water damage. I did get my replacement iPhone 5 after September 1st if that means anything.
    09-21-2013 11:31 AM
    Here's something odd to add to the mix. I know that the iWork apps, iPhoto, and iMovie are only free on newer devices running iOS 7, but this morning I opened up the App Store to discover that all those apps were free to download on my iPhone 5. The only way that they were free for my device that I can think of is the fact that I had recently got my iPhone 5 replaced by apple due to water damage. I did get my replacement iPhone 5 after September 1st if that means anything.
    Your replacement is a new device activated after September first... enjoy the freebie.
    09-21-2013 11:44 AM
    If you go to the App Store on a qualifying device, in theory, it should recognize it as such, and if you go to download iWork apps, you don't get charged... probably too simple to really work that way....
    Ok, that was freaking awesome. Thanks, Keith... funny thing is, that after setting up my iPhone 5S and not getting prompted to download the apps, I did check the App Store on my iPad Mini - still said $9.99... didn’t realize until now that it isn't a "universal" app... there are apparently specific versions for iPhone and iPad.

But I can now get the two missing pieces to the iWork suite for free...

UPDATE:
    Interestingly, it also shows $9.99 for my wife's iPhone 5 (on the same iTunes account)... but once I actually do the free "purchase" on my 5S, it does become available to all devices on my iTunes account - even on the iPads... perhaps it is a universal app after all...
    kch50428 likes this.
    09-21-2013 12:23 PM
    just got my 5S, went into the app store the price shows but if you click on it to go to the download page it then shows as free..just installed them
    09-21-2013 12:37 PM
    I never got the prompt but in App Store they were free then I went back and they had a price so I logged out and back in and they were free again lol

Sent from my iPhone 5 from a galaxy far far away (in the USA ) using Tapatalk !
    09-21-2013 02:25 PM
    Ok, that was freaking awesome. Thanks, Keith... funny thing is, that after setting up my iPhone 5S and not getting prompted to download the apps, I did check the App Store on my iPad Mini - still said $9.99... didnt realize until now that it isn't a "universal" app... there are apparently specific versions for iPhone and iPad.

But I can now get the two missing pieces to the iWork suite for free...

UPDATE:
    Interestingly, it also shows $9.99 for my wife's iPhone 5 (on the same iTunes account)... but once I actually do the free "purchase" on my 5S, it does become available to all devices on my iTunes account - even on the iPads... perhaps it is a universal app after all...
    It is a universal app once I download on my 5s I went to my ipad and logged out of iTunes and login back in and they were under purchased .. Free for all devices !!

09-21-2013 04:16 PM
    It is a universal app once I download on my 5s I went to my ipad and logged out of iTunes and login back in and they were under purchased .. Free for all devices !!
    How 'bout that... good to see it confirmed - and reconfirmed.
    09-21-2013 04:22 PM
    How 'bout that... good to see it confirmed - and reconfirmed.
    Yes and the trick is to just log out and back in to get it to show free and universal apps are the ones with a + on the icon

09-21-2013 04:24 PM
    I have purchased the 5s and no Iwork for free!
    09-24-2013 03:41 PM
    I purchased my iPhone 5S today. In the App Store Pages, Keynote, and Numbers are still 9.99. Note: the applications were not pre-installed as suggested during the Keynote on Sept. 10. Any thoughts?
    i think you really should contact the apple support and explain your problems...
    you should get the apps for free..
    09-24-2013 09:07 PM
    From your phone, go to the App Store.
    On the bottom left, touch the "Featured" icon.

From there, there is a horizontal banner between the top "best new apps" and "best new games". Scroll on the horizontal banner to the end and the last choice is titled "Apps made by Apple". Select this and the you will see the apps and they will show that they are for free.
    09-29-2013 09:03 PM
    I lucked out. I just unboxed my ipad mini, updated to iOS 7 and was prompted to download all apps including. iWork and iMovie, etc..,

Went back to my 4s running iOS 6 and sure enough, I was able to download all the same apps for free. Good deal!
    09-29-2013 09:10 PM
    My wife and I bought iPads in August. About a month later, iWork was included free for new buyers. This hardly seems fair. Will Apple give recent buyers free access to iWork? How can I contact apple about this?
    10-04-2013 12:02 PM
    My wife and I bought iPads in August. About a month later, iWork was included free for new buyers. This hardly seems fair. Will Apple give recent buyers free access to iWork? How can I contact apple about this?
    It's perfectly fair. They created an promotion for devices purchased after Sept 1. Yours were purchased before that. If you want the apps, pay for them.

It's no different than if I were clothing shopping (or car shopping, etc) and bought the clothing and then went back to the store a month later and asked them to refund money for the current sales price. They may choose to but are certainly not obligated to since I didn't make the purchase during the sale.
    10-04-2013 12:54 PM
    It's perfectly fair. They created an promotion for devices purchased after Sept 1. Yours were purchased before that. If you want the apps, pay for them.

It's no different than if I were clothing shopping (or car shopping, etc) and bought the clothing and then went back to the store a month later and asked them to refund money for the current sales price. They may choose to but are certainly not obligated to since I didn't make the purchase during the sale.
    Plus they announce it on September 10th and made available to new devices purchased from September 1st, 2013. They could of made it from September 10th but chose September 1st instead. So Apple is being fair in a way and I think that date is reasonable enough for me.

Sent from my iPod touch (5th generation) using Tapatalk - now Free
    10-04-2013 01:05 PM
    I purchased a new iPhone 5 from Best Buy (which I later returned, so I could buy a 5S instead) and was able to download the iWork apps for free... After I returned the iPhone 5, my apps on iTunes continued to show the iWork apps, and they could be installed on any of my other iOS devices.
    10-04-2013 06:56 PM
    For those of you (like me) that restored to your new 5s instead of setting up as new, "reset all settings" and then open the App Store. You will be prompted to download them all free. Once you do on one device, they will appear free on all your other ones (using the same Apple ID).
    10-06-2013 10:53 PM
    For those of you (like me) that restored to your new 5s instead of setting up as new, "reset all settings" and then open the App Store. You will be prompted to download them all free. Once you do on one device, they will appear free on all your other ones (using the same Apple ID).
    No need to reset all settings just sign out of App Store and sign back in and they will be free to download
    GibMcFragger likes this.
    10-06-2013 10:54 PM
    No need to reset all settings just sign out of App Store and sign back in and they will be free to download
    No need to reset. When I got my 5s the apps were not free. Checked two days later and they were free.
    10-06-2013 11:08 PM
    Or that lol
    10-06-2013 11:10 PM
    I found that they were listed "free" if I went to the App store on the phone, then "featured" and selected the option in the categories "Apps Made by Apple", they were all listed there "free" even though when I searched for them they listed full price.
    10-10-2013 05:00 PM
48 12