iOS 7 - Batting 0 for 3

jayes

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
I am trying to update my iOS devices. My iPhone 5 says it needs 3.1 GB of available space and after deleting a bunch of apps and photos I'm still short 1.1 GB. Don't know what to delete next. Trying to update through iTunes hoping that it does not need the space and uses the computer to store what it needs to store. Which will be a bummer since I just deleted 10's of apps that I will have to reinstall.

My ipad 2 apparently has the space it needs but it is giving me an error when I try to update. It started out fine, but error was mid download. Trying to reboot and start the process again to see if that helps.

My mini.. next in line for update, but I'm pretty leary given my poor track record.

Is this typical? Anyone else having hiccups in their update or is it just me? :concern:

Any suggestions to make the update easier for a non-techie appreciated. Thanks.....

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
The servers are getting slammed. Networks between you and Apple are getting overwhelmed with traffic and things will slow and time out...

Be patient. Try again later.

jayes

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
Just wanted to add that I was able to update my phone through iTunes 11 without deleting more apps. I wish I had tried this before purging so much on my phone. Don't know if this works for the entire 3.1 GB space request but worked for 1.1 GB needed.

iOS 7 looks nice on my phone!

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Just wanted to add that I was able to update my phone through iTunes 11 without deleting more apps. I wish I had tried this before purging so much on my phone. Don't know if this works for the entire 3.1 GB space request but worked for 1.1 GB needed.

You can sync back the stuff you deleted...

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site

You need more space to install an OTA update because you need space to store the download, space to extract the parts of the download, space to do the intstall/update work, plus what’s already on your device. While part of this is not necessary for an iTunes install, the "payload" for an iTunes install (.ipsw) is often times significantly larger than the OTA payload... typically an OTA update is a delta vs a complete install package.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
My iPhone is on the GM so I guess my iPad 2 can wait a week after this quiets down.

This is a public forum, sir. And there’s no place for that kind of logic around here. :)

Actually, that’s a very wise decision. If you can wait until the big push is over, it should be really smooth sailing... it will be nuts for a while this morning/afternoon, and probably again this evening... and then it should settle down and be "no problemo".

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2