Camera shutter

JDabney

Jun 17, 2012
Visit site
Anyone else notice that when you hold the camera shutter down that it takes burst shots? I'm using the iPhone 5 on iOS 7 GM.

Guacho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
Yess.. I noticed yesterday, it didnt do that on beta 6, not sure if there is an option to disable it... Nice feature but kind if annoying when you dont need it

JDabney

Jun 17, 2012
Visit site
Yes, it's a new feature that they talked about at length during the 5s introduction:

Apple iPhone 5S Full Feature Presentation (32 minutes) Keynote September 2013 - YouTube

(Jump to the 17m55s mark for Burst Mode; for some reason it looks like the forum doesn't allow embeds to use marked start times.)
I was under the impression that the burst mode feature was an iphone 5S only feature. For one, the iphone 5 doesn't take photos nearly as fast when you hold down the shutter as shown and it also doesn't choose the best picture taken in a review mode as shown in the video.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
I was under the impression that the burst mode feature was an iphone 5S only feature. For one, the iphone 5 doesn't take photos nearly as fast when you hold down the shutter as shown and it also doesn't choose the best picture taken in a review mode as shown in the video.
Those are the differences between hardware on the 5 vs 5S... the 5S has additional image processing abilities that the 5 does not. But the ability to capture repeated frames on a 5 could be of some use I suppose...

JDabney

Jun 17, 2012
Visit site
Those are the differences between hardware on the 5 vs 5S... the 5S has additional image processing abilities that the 5 does not. But the ability to capture repeated frames on a 5 could be of some use I suppose...

Does the iPhone 5S' processor really have that much of a speed boost from the iPhone 5 A6 that it can't handle slow-mo mode or the same burst shot features of the 5S? I mean the A6 is clocked at 1.3. Gigahertz and it's dual core. It's a beast of a chip in it's own right, especially running an efficient OS.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Does the iPhone 5S' processor really have that much of a speed boost from the iPhone 5 A6 that it can't handle slow-mo mode or the same burst shot features of the 5S?
Apparently yes - the 5S processor and image processing abilities are that much better than the 5...

JDabney

Jun 17, 2012
Visit site
Apparently yes - the 5S processor and image processing abilities are that much better than the 5...

So, the htc evo 4G lte which also can do burst shot mode and slow- mo video that was released a year ago before the iPhone 5 apparently also has better image processing than the 5 and is on par with the 5S. Is it safe to say that apple is playing catch up at this point?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
So, the htc evo 4G lte which also can do burst shot mode and slow- mo video that was released a year ago before the iPhone 5 apparently also has better image processing than the 5 and is on par with the 5S. Is it safe to say that apple is playing catch up at this point?

From that perspective, the answer is yes. From my perspective, however, it doesn't matter that non-Apple devices have had the feature for some time and neither will it make me give up my iPhone or think less of Apple or its products...:)

JDabney

Jun 17, 2012
Visit site
From that perspective, the answer is yes. From my perspective, however, it doesn't matter that non-Apple devices have had the feature for some time and neither will it make me give up my iPhone or think less of Apple or its products...:)

It won't make me change either. Just making an observation really. I have the HTC Evo 4G LTE and the iPhone 5. I like to switch between the two every once in a while because simply put, I love technology and both iOS and android. The observation, in my mind just really exposes the mindset behind why apple does what they do to push newer hardware. I am certain that the hardware in the iPhone 5 is more than capable of handling all the "new" camera features that are exclusive to the 5S. Especially considering that android phones with lower specs than the iPhone 5 can and do share those similar camera features such as the burst shot and slo-mo mode. I guess in that regard I'm a little disappointed in apple, but at the same time I can't be too mad at them because unlike android(no matter how much ram, or raw processing power you throw into a device) apple has provided a consistently stable and smooth phone experience, but I can't help but think apple is just playing catchup considering all the other options out there.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
It won't make me change either. Just making an observation really. I have the HTC Evo 4G LTE and the iPhone 5. I like to switch between the two every once in a while because simply put, I love technology and both iOS and android. The observation, in my mind just really exposes the mindset behind why apple does what they do to push newer hardware. I am certain that the hardware in the iPhone 5 is more than capable of handling all the "new" camera features that are exclusive to the 5S. Especially considering that android phones with lower specs than the iPhone 5 can and do share those similar camera features such as the burst shot and slo-mo mode. I guess in that regard I'm a little disappointed in apple, but at the same time I can't be too mad at them because unlike android(no matter how much ram, or raw processing power you throw into a device) apple has provided a consistently stable and smooth phone experience, but I can't help but think apple is just playing catchup considering all the other options out there.

I understand what you're saying, but I often think that we techies tend to forget where we stand in regard to Apple's target audience. We, for the most part, are ahead of the curve and are a tad more knowledgeable about technology than the majority of people who buy the iPhone. Furthermore, a great deal of those people do not share our affinity for technology or at least not in the same manner. Therefore, to tech fans, Apple is seen as playing catch up, but to its core consumers, it is introducing a new and improved way of doing things. Know what I mean?

JDabney

Jun 17, 2012
Visit site
I understand what you're saying, but I often think that we techies tend to forget where we stand in regard to Apple's target audience. We, for the most part, are ahead of the curve and are a tad more knowledgeable about technology than the majority of people who buy the iPhone. Furthermore, a great deal of those people do not share our affinity for technology or at least not in the same manner. Therefore, to tech fans, Apple is seen as playing catch up, but to its core consumers, it is introducing a new and improved way of doing things. Know what I mean?

I understand completely what you mean. It truly is frustratingly enigmatic at times. You love the stability and smoothness of apple software, the awesome build quality of their hardware, and the fact that more than 95% of the time you have a product that really just works, but like you said, us techies are left somewhat wanting(still would love to see quick reply/compose for messaging among other things). I appreciate the grace filled responses on this thread. I was certain when I mentioned android and the fact that I think that apple is now playing catch up that I was going to be berated on here.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
(Laughing)....Your comments weren't disrespectful or trollish, in my opinion. Furthermore, we don't mind people mentioning non-Apple devices and services. Things go south when "techies" with a non-Apple platform of choice comes and try to tell "techies" whose choice platform is Apple that we're mindless lemmings for liking what we like instead of what they like. They tend to look past the fact that we are as tech minded as they are with the exception that we prefer Apple products at this particular stage in our lives. now what I mean? Anyway, I'm calling it a night. Take care and thank you for the conversation. ;)

JDabney

Jun 17, 2012
Visit site
Just did some research only to find that the A7 processor has the exact same Max CPU clock speed @1.3GHz dual-core as the A6 processor....interesting...

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
Does the iPhone 5S' processor really have that much of a speed boost from the iPhone 5 A6 that it can't handle slow-mo mode or the same burst shot features of the 5S? I mean the A6 is clocked at 1.3. Gigahertz and it's dual core. It's a beast of a chip in it's own right, especially running an efficient OS.

Yes, yes it does. It's not the speed, it's the 64 bits. If you go to Air's full review and benchmarks you can see the 5S has a beast of a processor.

iPhone 5s Benchmarks: iPhone 5s Crushes Rivals in Performance Tests | BGR

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
1-2 per second as the iPhone 5s has a rate of 10 per second....

5c does not have burst mode... Due to the same limitations as older devices.. But it works well...

Grabber5.0

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
Regardless of the new burst mode feature.. I've always been able to rapidly tap the shutter button on my 5 and take several shots per second. I've never timed it to see just how many, but it works fine for my "needs" :)

- Matt