iOS7 GM and Windows incompatibility

Matt Weisgerber

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
Ok, admittedly I have a dev account and just working from Windows at this time.

I have installed each iOS7 beta to date

Since iOS7 requires iTunes 11.1 and there is no Windows version I am completely stuck.

I have installed GM, but iTunes won't connect. I don't have the previous betas on file and developer downloads only list GM. So, even if I go to DFU mode and start from scratch I can't restore today's backup.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Last edited:

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Ok, admittedly I have a dev account and just working from Windows at this time.

I have installed each iOS7 beta to date

Since iOS7 requires iTunes 11.1 and there is no Windows version I am completely stuck.

I have installed GM, but iTunes won't connect. I don't have the previous betas on file and developer downloads only list GM. So, even if I go to DFU mode and start from scratch I can't restore today's backup.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

There's a beta for iTunes that's unfortunately not available for Windows. Once you install the GM - you'll need to restore from your last iCloud back-up.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
There's a beta for iTunes that's unfortunately not available for Windows. Once you install the GM - you'll need to restore from your last iCloud back-up.

FWIW, it’s not that the GM release is not "compatible" with Windows... you just can’t restore a backup from a Windows machine. Back your phone up to iCloud, and it’s all good.

Matt Weisgerber

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
The issue is that I backed up locally. And now can't restore since I don't have that beta version. If I did, I assume I could: install the beta previous to GM, restore from today's local backup, backup again now to cloud, install GM, restore...

Is there a download section with the previous betas I don't know about?

Thanks for the replies!

Sarlic

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
It's absolutely absurd that Apple would release the Gold Master to developers and then require a specific version of iTunes that is not yet compatible with Windows -- the most-used operating system on the planet. Hate on it all you want, but facts are facts, and this is idiotic.

I have an iCloud backup and could certainly run the update, but iCloud won't restore all of my music -- which means now I have to wait, despite the fact that I'm a developer with an account I've paid for. For a company that pays attention to detail at the level that Apple does, I can't help but think this is somehow intentional. The love's starting to wear thin, Apple. Stop alienating people because they choose to use other software occasionally.

//ugh, sorry, rant over.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
It's absolutely absurd that Apple would release the Gold Master to developers and then require a specific version of iTunes that is not yet compatible with Windows -- the most-used operating system on the planet. Hate on it all you want, but facts are facts, and this is idiotic.

I have an iCloud backup and could certainly run the update, but iCloud won't restore all of my music -- which means now I have to wait, despite the fact that I'm a developer with an account I've paid for. For a company that pays attention to detail at the level that Apple does, I can't help but think this is somehow intentional. The love's starting to wear thin, Apple. Stop alienating people because they choose to use other software occasionally.

//ugh, sorry, rant over.

I hear what you’re saying... but the Mac computer line is part of the Apple ecosystem. Windows is not. Since there was never an iTunes 11.1 beta for the Windows environment all through the beta cycle, this should not be "breaking news".

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site

//ugh, sorry, rant over.

I did a shift update vs a restore and didn't lose any data

Sent from my iPhone 5 from a galaxy far far away (in the USA ) using Tapatalk !

Sarlic

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
No question, but this is the first version of iOS 7 requiring an unavailable version of iTunes in the entire development cycle.

Sarlic

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I can confirm what Peligro911 said above -- I did the Shift / Update rather than Shift / Restore and all of my data is intact, so a resync with iTunes is not necessary.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
I can confirm what Peligro911 said above -- I did the Shift / Update rather than Shift / Restore and all of my data is intact, so a resync with iTunes is not necessary.

Glad you got it .. Have a good night

Sent from my iPhone 5 from a galaxy far far away (in the USA ) using Tapatalk !

JLopez149

Jun 1, 2013
Visit site
I have a Mac with iTunes 11.1 and I installed GM on my iPhone 5 and iTunes still won't allow me to restore from backup. I get a message saying iTunes cannot connect to sync services. Now I'm stuck with a phone with no info in it for two weeks 😢

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doc Z

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
I backed up my phone to iCloud but apparently didn't do it over wifi so now my latest backup is from over 2 weeks ago. Is there any way to get my data back??

acerace113

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I posted this in a different thread but I'll post it here also:

If you update to iOS 7 GM with a windows computer you won't be able to sync, update or restore your phone with iTunes until apple releases iTunes 11.1 for windows (not sure if DFU mode + iTunes 11.0.5 to restore will work though).

Shift+update keeps your data on your device, Shift+restore clears everything off your device

I hope this helps people in this thread

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
INTERNET BUNDLE NOW