What are your impressions of iOS 7?

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I'm curious what people impressions are about us 7 that are using the beta. Do you find the changes as adverse or polarizing after some time with it? Do you find its a improvement? Do you forsee it as a major negative?

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I'm curious what people impressions are about us 7 that are using the beta. Do you find the changes as adverse or polarizing after some time with it? Do you find its a improvement? Do you forsee it as a major negative?

On the surface, it looks different... and, as you know, that has been extremely polarizing. But day to day functionality is solid, and the new features are, indeed, handy Personally, I have grown quite accustomed to the look of iOS 7, and feel awkwardly uncomfortable when using an iOS 6 device - not in an" OMG, what do I do?" way, but there is a momentary pause while my brain readjusts to what it’s seeing.

The new notification center and control center applets are great and go a long way towards satisfying the basic functions of JB. They do not, however, satisfy either the wants or needs of the hardcore jailbreakers. The visual changes are, to me, welcome and quite aesthetically pleasing...

For me, I don’t see it as a "major negative". It’s a mobile operating system, and by definition, its function is to provide a framework for presenting apps, features and functions for getting things done. After that, its function is to get out of our way. IMHO, it does that and does it well.

Last edited:

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Looks like you've been swayed a bit by some of the blogosphere criticisms penned by people who don't use Apple products at all - or certainly not on a daily basis. iOS7 will take getting used to - and once you do - if you're like me at all - you will be pleased with it. If I were to have to go back to iOS6, I would find it lacking.

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
I personally do see it as an improvement due to the additions of the control center, airdrop, shared photo streams, cards in multitasking, and infinite app storage in folders. I am indifferent to the new app icons and colors. However, I will say I am not necessarily a fan of the bright neon color palette, the extreme use of whites, etc. I personally find it a bit feminine or cheesy to be honest but that is just me so don't place any emphasis on that. I am disappointed that we did not get features like quick text reply, addtional camera functions, or freedom to move apps where we wish. I dont find the parallax effect or transitions to add any value. I am not a fan of the 3 page notification center.

Everyone will have an opinion. Mine is simply, mine. I am fine with IOS 7 and what it brings. Do I feel it is revolutionary or mind blowing? Not at all. Is it a major negative? Not at all. I think it was a step in a new direction that hopefully can and will be expanded upon. I often say that much of what Android is bringing to the table, mostly via specific manufacturers like Motorola, LG and Samusng, is gimmicky. But on the flipside, some of it IS useful and some of it is at least fun. I didn't really find any of that with IOS 7. And while not necessarily exciting in any way....that is not always a bad thing.

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
I have grown very used to the new system, not sure that I could ever go back to iOS6, the added functionality really makes the experience better.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I have grown very used to the new system, not sure that I could ever go back to iOS6, the added functionality really makes the experience better.

I'm sure many of us will feel the exact same way after we've gotten adjusted to iOS 7. I'm really looking forward to it....;)

pappy53

Banned
Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
This has probably been answered, but I can't find it. I am running beta 6. When the official release comes out, will I need to downgrade to 6.1.4, or will it take the OTA as is?

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
This has probably been answered, but I can't find it. I am running beta 6. When the official release comes out, will I need to downgrade to 6.1.4, or will it take the OTA as is?

No. Typically, GM is treated as a new "beta"... meaning that you just install the update to GM. And since GM is what gets installed on all new devices in preparation for a device launch, you’re done at that point. All bundled up and topped with a bow.

With that said, I do recall one release (iOS 5, I think), where the GM update was via iTunes and an .ipsw release rather than OTA... but I am personally expecting an OTA release of GM this time...

kokii25

Sep 5, 2013
Visit site
I reverted Back to iOS 6 For About 20Times , and Every time i feel that iOS 6 is missing a lot Of Features (EX: Zooming in Vedio Camera ) .
But i realy Dont like The colors of iOS 7 ...... For that reason i reverted back to iOS 6 . But Right now i am Using iOS 7 Beta 6 and Waiting For The GM .......

dannejanne

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
The only thing that bothers me with iOS 7 is the much slower animations. I very often find myself swiping or pressing something too soon and nothing happens because the animation was like 95% finished. There is a lot of "waiting" when using the phone, unfortunately. It gets kind of tiresome in the long run.

tanknitrous

Sep 5, 2013
Visit site
I'm using the latest Beta.....like many, I couldn't go back to iOS6. I'm really digging everything about the new OS. The biggest improvements for me are the pull up and pull down menus. The pull up menu and quick access to wi-fi and flashlight and calculator are awesome additions in the new OS. Will take some getting used to, but overall, I find it is a big improvement and people will come to love it just like the old OS. I guess I don't pay much attention to the color stuff, I just want things to work, and they do just like always.

tigerinexile

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
I quite like iOS 7.

It added the features that I missed from Android -- the control centre stuff.

Wouldn't want to go back to iOS 6.

For those who hate the new look -- rumour has it that there's a jailbreak coming soon, so you could do that just for the aesthetic modifications. But in terms of functionality, it's great.

swarlos

Trusted Member
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Ever since I saw the reveal of iOS 7 at WWDC I fell in love and loaded it up that day! I do have to agree with some of the others about the colors but I absolutely love the translucent effect, think it adds a very cool dimension to the OS.

I was disappointed though when no quick reply or a file system were announced but I hope we get those next year, other than that I am plenty satisfied with the additions that they've made and I can't wait for the GM next week!

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
When I first started using iOS 7 about the only thing that bothered me at the time were a few of the icons. The color and look of the icons just seemed like they could have been better. I still think they could be better but after about a month I honestly didn't mind the icons anymore. Everything else is great, because there is a new look as well as new features. There are also changes that make things easier and quicker to do. If for example you look at something as simple as taking a picture. One of the great things is the camera access from the lock screen. When you unlock the device however you have to find and launch your app to take a picture. Perhaps you are lucky enough to have the camera app on the first home screen. However if the camera app is in a folder or on some other home screen the time spent looking for it is all it takes for the shot to be gone. Now all you have to do is swipe up the Control Center and tap the camera icon. So it's little thiings like that to enable easier quicker access to things. Sure there are things that are still missing but this is just the first version of iOS 7 and so in time maybe we will get things like iMessage quick reply etc. I think iOS 7 will be a big hit with the majority of users. Keep in mind that older hardware like the iPhone 4 will be on the bottom end of the ladder. It will be like the 3Gs getting iOS 6, the amount of RAM and the cpu and gpu wont be able to give as nice of an experience as if you had a 5 or 5s. So people who don't upgrade their hardware will complain but that's life there are other platforms where the new OS doesn't even support hardware from the year before. So if you don't like the experience upgrade the hardware but everyone has the right to complain so it will happen.

JimmyG252

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
To be quite honest, it's not a game changer. Multitasking might come in handy, but honestly now, it's just a phone. I am on my 3rd iPhone and have loved them all, but they are just phones. I love being able to Facetime my daughter, get beaten in Words with Friends by my wife, and check my personal and work emails on the fly.

It's a small hand-held device; how much real work can you actually do?

-my 2 cents worth.

pr1nce

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I'm assuming that the 4S will get most of the features of iOS 7. I'm looking forward to seeing how it runs.

Good OL MC

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
It took a little while but it's really, really grown on me. The use of colors can still be a little jarring but overall but then I go back and use iOS 6 and that just seems dusty and old.

The new notification area still lags behind Android in functionality but is a vast improvement over the old one. The Control Center is GREAT. I find myself oddly disappointed in the new multitasking UI though. It's a bit slower to use than the old fast app switcher.

I still get a little confused with some of the new icons in Safari and some of the default apps. What they mean is not always apparent at a quick glance.

Keep in mind though that none of this is absolutely promised to hold true for the final release. Things change very quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen