iOS 7 and selling my phone

John Flud

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
When iOS 7 comes out I want to pounce so I can play with it ASAP. But I'm also likely to want the new iphone too. depending on what they have in the 5S.

if I upgrade to iOS 7 then attempt to sell my old phone, I may run into a problem.

I'll want to wipe the phone before the sale. However at that point, the buyer would need my apple ID and password to be able to activate the phone. or can you turn that off when you're selling it?

Thanks!

swarlos

Trusted Member
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
When iOS 7 comes out I want to pounce so I can play with it ASAP. But I'm also likely to want the new iphone too. depending on what they have in the 5S.

if I upgrade to iOS 7 then attempt to sell my old phone, I may run into a problem.

I'll want to wipe the phone before the sale. However at that point, the buyer would need my apple ID and password to be able to activate the phone. or can you turn that off when you're selling it?

Thanks!

Yes you just need to go to Settings > iCloud then either delete from the phone or turn off find my iPhone before wiping.

Carried by a raven from The Wall.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site

Thanks!

The buyer will only need your Apple ID info if you fail to wipe the phone properly. The new security feature requires you to log out of your iCloud account (with password) BEFORE you wipe it. If you wipe it without logging out, the phone cannot be activated again without that information.

rlacrossjr

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
Most likely when you do the wipe. It will make iOS 7 unusable, will ask for developers Apple ID.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

dictoresno

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
also, make sure to go into your itunes account to the manage device section and remove the phone from there as well.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Most likely when you do the wipe. It will make iOS 7 unusable, will ask for developers Apple ID.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
Why would it ask for the developer's Apple ID? The OP stated that "when iOS 7 comes out..." so I take that to mean when it is officially available to the masses.

swarlos

Trusted Member
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Why would it ask for the developer's Apple ID? The OP stated that "when iOS 7 comes out..." so I take that to mean when it is officially available to the masses.

Well also if the phone's udid is registered they wouldn't have a problem either.

Carried by a raven from The Wall.