If you could ask Cook and Ive any question (max 5) regarding the software....

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
What would your specific questions be (regarding the operating system so in this case IOS 7)? I assume they have been using the same devices as you and I over the years and must also have expectations of the type of experience they would like have. Mine would be:

1. Why have you chosen not to implement any sort of quick reply for text messaging?
2. Why are we limited to the type of files that can be attached via email?
3. Why can we not place static icons in any location that we choose on the screen?
4. Why is there not a 'close all' option for applications in the multitasking view?
5. Why did you censor my Chive app? Ha. Sorry, not related to the operating system but I would have to ask....

jclisenby

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
In an effort to make iOS usable and easy for everyone, some advanced tasks like you mentioned are unavailable. I would prefer a file system for access; however, I see why they do it. Makes for a simple experience anyone can use.

Tappin and Talkin from my iPhone 5

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
In an effort to make iOS usable and easy for everyone, some advanced tasks like you mentioned are unavailable. I would prefer a file system for access; however, I see why they do it. Makes for a simple experience anyone can use.

I'd be curious to know why you believe any one of the first 4 I listed would be considered 'advanced'? Not to be crass, but I would like to think even my 81 year old mother could place an icon somewhere other than it's defaulting location with little effort. Attaching a .pdf file would simply require one more option in the attachment screen. A 'close all' option would require one simple press of a button. Quick reply could be disabled if considered too complex although I cannot see why that would be.

I am all for an easy and usable iOS experience. And I would not welcome many of the features in android that bog down the experience and make it cumbersome. But at the same time, I like to believe the users of an iphone have at least some degree of intelligence. If moving an icon to the bottom right corner of the screen without it defaulting 'to the right' of the previous app is considered an advanced task to someone.....they better return the phone and stick to a landline.

jclisenby

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
I'd be curious to know why you believe any one of the first 4 I listed would be considered 'advanced'? Not to be crass, but I would like to think even my 81 year old mother could place an icon somewhere other than it's defaulting location with little effort. Attaching a .pdf file would simply require one more option in the attachment screen. A 'close all' option would require one simple press of a button. Quick reply could be disabled if considered too complex although I cannot see why that would be.

I am all for an easy and usable iOS experience. And I would not welcome many of the features in android that bog down the experience and make it cumbersome. But at the same time, I like to believe the users of an iphone have at least some degree of intelligence. If moving an icon to the bottom right corner of the screen without it defaulting 'to the right' of the previous app is considered an advanced task to someone.....they better return the phone and stick to a landline.

The icon settings are part of the design. It keeps everything straight and maintains that "clean iOS interface."

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
The icon settings are part of the design. It keeps everything straight and maintains that "clean iOS interface."

I can see that. And to be honest it isn't so much of a gripe that I have. I would just be asking to know their thoughts. One thing I did like when I was jbroken was that I could place my 8 favorite apps (besides the dock icons) in a way to where I could still see my daughters pic clearly in the center of the homescreen. It's a minor thing, but I liked the option.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
I would ask why we can't attach .pdf files in the email app.

Because you can do it from apps handling the document... Apple has that whole 'share' thing going on... in Photos... select one or more photos, hit the 'share' icon, select mail... send photo(s)... same with pdfs... if I can make that work, anyone should be able to... I know this is how it works... and I'm not miffed I can't open mail, fire up a draft message and add attachments like one would do on a desktop...

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Because you can do it from apps handling the document... Apple has that whole 'share' thing going on... in Photos... select one or more photos, hit the 'share' icon, select mail... send photo(s)... same with pdfs... if I can make that work, anyone should be able to... I know this is how it works... and I'm not miffed I can't open mail, fire up a draft message and add attachments like one would do on a desktop...

I did not realize that. See, I didn't even need to ask Tim or Jony.....I just needed to ask Keith! :tongue:

I wonder though, if you are going back and forth in an email thread, you couldn't attach a .pdf in those situations. You would have to open the pdf itself and email as a new message. I suppose this work-around isn't the worst thing, but it would make me question why they don't allow it as a default mail option.

pr1nce

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site

pr1nce

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site

Thanks Keith. I know Apple has the "share " thing. It just feels cumbersome to me with email. I wish there was a default option in the email app.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
I wonder though, if you are going back and forth in an email thread, you couldn't attach a .pdf in those situations. You would have to open the pdf itself and email as a new message. I suppose this work-around isn't the worst thing, but it would make me question why they don't allow it as a default mail option.
It's not really a "work around"... it's working as designed... you may not like the design... but it is what it is. I don't find it onerous...

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
It's not really a "work around"... it's working as designed... you may not like the design... but it is what it is. I don't find it onerous...

Edit: Sorry, I see what you mean now Keith. Deleting my previous nonsense as I was missing the points you were making.

Last edited:

acerace113

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
My question would be:
Will you be adding a way for users to get more or add more dynamic wallpapers to their iOS devices?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
What would your specific questions be (regarding the operating system so in this case IOS 7)?(snipped)

My questions mirror yours with the exception of your last.

1. Why have you chosen not to implement any sort of quick reply for text messaging?
2. Why are we limited to the type of files that can be attached via email?
3. Why can we not place static icons in any location that we choose on the screen?
4. Why is there not a 'close all' option for applications in the multitasking view?
5. Why isn't there a "select-all" or "delete-all" option other than when emptying the trash folder?

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
But you can attach file as explained above you just have to do it within the app where the document resides (assuming the developer implemented the correct APIs). It has to do with the sand boxing of apps for security purposes. An app like Mail cannot see the data of another app. Yes, Apple has violated the sandbox for some of their apps (you can copy photos for instance and then paste them into an email) but it is not available to other developers.

To get around this, Apple would need to implement some sort of "shared storage" between apps or some other API that allows data/files in one app to be visible in another app. They have chosen to keep their sandbox pretty tightly closed. It greatly improves security and the damage that a rogue app could do. Whether you think this is a fair trade-off since the result is that you can't attach random files from random apps to an email is up to you. This is also the reason there is no overall File Manager app built in to iOS.

Ahhhh, that makes perfect sense and now I see what Keith was alluding to as well. I apologize as I was not visualizing the entire picture. I wasn't thinking in terms of where the actual files were being stored, how the apps would need to 'speak' to each other, etc. And now I see how Keith was saying it was designed this way intentionally, and so-forth. I certainly appreciate the clarification :)
and sorry that I did not catch on earlier.

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Their answer to the "close all" option is going to be that it is not necessary to close any apps because the system handles all memory management and kicks inactive apps out of memory as needed.

Yes I know some people disagree and think it is necessary, so no need to rehash those arguments here. Just pointing out that we already know the answer to that question.

I didn't realize that the system worked that way with inactive apps. I'm learning a fair amount today. Thanks!

acerace113

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
My question would be:
Will you be adding a way for users to get more or add more dynamic wallpapers to their iOS devices?

And a few more I would ask:

Why does the iPod Touch not have a "battery percentage" option like the iPhone and iPad?

Would you consider adding something very similar to cydia for iOS?

Will you be adding google plus integration to iOS soon?

Will you be adding an option to allow users to choose which default apps they want to use in iOS?

jclisenby

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
And a few more I would ask:

Why does the iPod Touch not have a "battery percentage" option like the iPhone and iPad?

Would you consider adding something very similar to cydia for iOS?

Will you be adding google plus integration to iOS soon?

Will you be adding an option to allow users to choose which default apps they want to use in iOS?

Cydia, Google+, and choosing default apps will never happen.

TurboTiger

Nov 27, 2003
Visit site
One questions:

Why can't we set an all day reminder without assigning a time to the reminder?

All day mean means all day not at 8:45 am.

At one time we were able to do this. I'm a heavy user of reminders. I still have about ten of these left over from when it was available. I just re label them.

Good Luck

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods