Should I update iOS 7 for my iPhone 4?

Gav T

Sep 26, 2013
Visit site
I wish it did work perfectly well. I'm having issues when watching youtube vids on my iphone 4 since updating to ios7. Lag with the picture quality. Do you know if there will be an update any time soon to resolve this issue? I've rebooted; which does help initially, but it soon resorts back to its laggy self within a matter of hours.

Bcl1973

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
We updated my wife's iPhone 4 on iOS 7 launch day, with no problems. The phone works just as it did with iOS 6.1.3. It still lags a little. We upgraded to iOS 7.0.2 on launch night & bricked the phone. I ended up having to connect to iTunes & download the full 1.2 gig of iOS 7.0.2. It failed 3 times & only worked on the forth attempt. It took 4 hours to do a 10 minute update! Thank goodness for the iCloud backup I did just before downloading the update.

rlacrossjr

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
iOS 7 and my wife's iPhone 4 was bad. Fresh install the phone is almost unusable. Take 20 seconds to unlock and freezes a lot. I went to https://www.apple.com/feedback/itunesapp.html#mn_p and commented on how crappy it is. Like having a laptop or computer that came with XP updating just the software to newest without updating hardware.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AMosha

Sep 26, 2013
Visit site
Don't expect it to run flawlessly, expect to see some jitteriness, but since updating I've enjoyed all the features available to the 4 and it hasn't made the device unusable. If anything the only issue you will have are with third party applications who haven't supported iOS7.

jakeless.123

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
Two of my friends have the iPhone 4 and have since updated to iOS 7. They both tell me that it seems to run fine for them. Granted they are not techie kind of people, I would say that they would be able to discern the difference.

Keep in mind that the features such as paralax and airdrop, will not be available because of the limits of the hardware.

Trees

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
You shouldn't update. Not because I'm not a fan of iOS 7, but it will slow the phone down a lot.

This is the plan I have for the "recycled" 4 that the kid uses. It's perfectly fine with iOS 6.x and since kids apps are all it's used for, the performance hit isn't worth the trade off.

Georgemg

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
I have an iphone 4 16 gb , and there is not much of a change in disk space for me ! But there is a significant change in the way things run ! Everything except the camera is slower by 1,5 seconds average !! And you have to do a lot of settings alchemys to change that a little ! And some 3d games that used to play super smoothly with iOS 6 now are on slow motion and it's super annoying ! (Example some endless run games like monsters univ. Stuck all the time and. Any be played ! ) the typing and the scrolling are slower too ! Only after following some advice on what to turn off on settings I managed to make the 3d games play well ! They really did improve ! But the scrolling and the calls even are slower ! Ex. I click to call a contact and the call screen appears after 2 seconds I can't even close the call fast if I regret it !!!! So WAIT AND USE IOS 6 !!! If ps : I have 40% ram free when doing nothing and my friend with iOS 6 has 63 % I also must say that I have more installed apps than her but still ...

Ravi Raj

May 15, 2013
Visit site
iOS 7 on iPhone 4 runs good if you switch off all graphics effects. And without all those graphics it dont look bad either. So if you are planning, go ahead.

meashishnd

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
sure you can try out . yet i seen iphone 4 have not any major issue like hanging ....frozen.... also it look whole changeover from previous ios6 superb graphic,lovely icons many future
but u unable to use airdrop with iphon4 its not include

Laura Hickerson

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
If you haven't already, you can turn off the setting that constantly refreshes any apps you have running in the background. This should improve your battery life.
Settings
General
Background App Refresh

I hope this helps.

Rolandh

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
I have an iPhone 4 on Verizon Wireless and I got iOS 7 the minute it was available. Honestly, I wish I hadn't. Not that iOS 7 is horrible, it's different and that isn't a bad thing. But I have noticed that there is more lag now than I had before and I really believe most of the UI and apps are designed to optimally work on iPhone 5, 5C, and 5S displays and not the smaller 4 or 4S displays. My battery doesn't last nearly as long as it did with 6.1.3 and I've done all the recommendations I've read the last few days about optimizing the battery performance. Also, if you use "non-Apple certified" charging cables they will stop working with iOS 7. I had to dig out my original Apple cables to get my phone to be able to charge correctly.

Overall, I think iOS 7 is okay, but wish I had a newer device to run it on.

I thought that none approved Apple cables only applied to iPad Mini or newer and the iPhone 5/5C/5S that use the new Lighting Connector over the old Dock Connector?

Roland

julieb9

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
Yes. Shouldn't be a problem. I updated my iPhone 4 and don't have any problems when I am on it. Although, part of me wishes I hadn't updated it. But toooo late :)

solitude1984

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site
if you use "non-Apple certified" charging cables they will stop working with iOS 7. I had to dig out my original Apple cables to get my phone to be able to charge correctly.

I have non-certified charging cables that work fine on my iPhone with iOS 7. When you plug it in it warns you that the cable may not work, but so far I have had no trouble. I assume it depends on the cable that you use.

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods