How can an OS be boring?

John Flud

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
I've read complaints about iOS7 being boring, and even more for previous versions of iOS.

I've never understood this. I use my phone to do stuff. like check my email, or do facebook, or play some music. I like it when new features come that add usefulness or make the phone easier to use. So basically I want to do stuff with the phone, not play with an OS. I only care about the OS for what it does to make the phone more useful and easy to use. I generally see OS as just that thing working in the background. I don't think about it. I just think "I want to see my emails" and then touch the email icon.

Now if folks complain about some feature on another OS they wish iOS would adopt, that makes sense to me. (I wish apple could steal the blackberry Z10's keyboard)
but saying the OS is boring? what does that even mean? I'm not trying to put anybody down, I'm really asking, because I don't know.

thanks!

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I've read complaints about iOS7 being boring, and even more for previous versions of iOS.

I've never understood this. I use my phone to do stuff. like check my email, or do facebook, or play some music. I like it when new features come that add usefulness or make the phone easier to use. So basically I want to do stuff with the phone, not play with an OS. I only care about the OS for what it does to make the phone more useful and easy to use. I generally see OS as just that thing working in the background. I don't think about it. I just think "I want to see my emails" and then touch the email icon.

Now if folks complain about some feature on another OS they wish iOS would adopt, that makes sense to me. (I wish apple could steal the blackberry Z10's keyboard)
but saying the OS is boring? what does that even mean? I'm not trying to put anybody down, I'm really asking, because I don't know.

thanks!

'Nuf said, my friend. 'Nuf said...:)

swarlos

Trusted Member
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site

thanks!

Srsly!!

Carried by a raven from The Wall.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
Good point if being Bored means the OS is doing its job and not buggie or crashes on you when you try to run an app or keeps resetting and lagging or causes you to continue to patch it all the time than I don't mind being Bored at all

I use to enjoy tweaking my phones and I still do it with my Palm phones for fun but this day and age I need a fool proof smartphone that is reliable and does what I need it to do and the iPhone and iOS is it

Sent from my iPhone 5

linsiris

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I can understand when they say they are "bored" referring to an app lacking an important feature that's been requested for so long like more attachment options in the mail app, a file manager or maybe the inability to change the theme.

Other than that I agree with the OP, this OS works like a charm, has the biggest App Store available and everything else that is needed to get the job done (very well) and for personal use.

Can't really complain of that.
Can't blame them for trying other OS either.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I can understand when they say they are "bored" referring to an app lacking an important feature that's been requested for so long like more attachment options in the mail app, a file manager or maybe the inability to change the theme.

Other than that I agree with the OP, this OS works like a charm, has the biggest App Store available and everything else that is needed to get the job done (very well) and for personal use.

Can't really complain of that.
Can't blame them for trying other OS either.

There us a huge difference between "boring" and "lacking a requested feature". iOS has never been boring, as the OP stated... it does what it does well and stays out of your way. The two biggest features that are still lacking, IMHO are the ability to attach any file to an email and the quick reply to a text/MMS message.

linsiris

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
There us a huge difference between "boring" and "lacking a requested feature". iOS has never been boring, as the OP stated... it does what it does well and stays out of your way. The two biggest features that are still lacking, IMHO are the ability to attach any file to an email and the quick reply to a text/MMS message.

That's why I explained what I understand when some people say they are "bored" with the OS sometimes, as in "tired" maybe of asking something that you never get (so no "huge" difference in that context) and that is also why I said that I like this OS and how it works (in case you missed that part of the comment).

Also, I agree with the quick SMS reply, even though expressing what we consider is missing, is not the reason of this thread.

leathernuts#WP

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
I felt like I was bored with the iOS. I guess I was just bored period and decided to change. Bought a Samsung s4 last week. Cured my boredom for one week and then I came running back to my iPhone 5. I agree with whoever said this os as in iOS just works. Smooth, gets the job done and does it extremely well.

impaler

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
"Boring" to me implies the OS' role is to entertain you. It's supposed to get out of the way and let you get stuff done. Folks who say they're bored with an OS seem to have an entitlist mentality, in a sense. They're the same types who may believe all software should be free, as developers should give it all away.

Sent from my iPad using iMore Forums app

impaler

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Bought a Samsung s4 last week. Cured my boredom for one week and then I came running back to my iPhone 5. I agree with whoever said this os as in iOS just works. Smooth, gets the job done and does it extremely well.

Ha, I used to do that all the time! I finally realized every time I switched OSs, for this feature or that, I missed iOS too much. So I've stayed put for a long time since.

Sent from my iPad using iMore Forums app

Deanig_12

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
IOS aint boring windows phone is boring now that saying something!! Android and Ios are top legit markets whitch i love rock on IOS YEAAAHHH!!!<3!;)

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
That's why I explained what I understand when some people say they are "bored" with the OS sometimes, as in "tired" maybe of asking something that you never get (so no "huge" difference in that context) and that is also why I said that I like this OS and how it works (in case you missed that part of the comment).

Also, I agree with the quick SMS reply, even though expressing what we consider is missing, is not the reason of this thread.

Again, there?s a big difference between "boring" and "lacking". I don?t understand calling something "boring" because you?re "tired of asking for something that you never get"...

As far as quick SMS reply, I only mentioned that in the context of what many consider "missing" functionality. I am fully aware that it "is not the reason of this thread".

One more time, the purpose of any OS (including iOS) is to provide basic functionality and then to get out of your way and let you do stuff.

linsiris

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I felt like I was bored with the iOS. I guess I was just bored period and decided to change. Bought a Samsung s4 last week. Cured my boredom for one week and then I came running back to my iPhone 5. I agree with whoever said this os as in iOS just works. Smooth, gets the job done and does it extremely well.

👍I know many people that felt the same as you and went through the same, just to go back to iOS. I moved from BB and never looked back. 😊

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
Calling iOS boring is a problem considering windows XP to 7 can claim the same reliable status but is never called boring

Sent from my iPhone 5

tigerinexile

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
Once I no longer had to deal with the hell that is Windows-based iTunes, I've loved how my iDevices worked.

They work. That is all.

I like iOS 7 in particular because it has the features I wanted from Android -- the quick access to settings and more detailed notifications. But it's the stability, the breadth, and the ease of use of the touchscreen that endear the 5.0+ versions of iOS to me.

SprSynJn

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
From what I can tell, boring means simple, reliable, and easy to use when referring to OS's. In which case, I like "boring" and will be sticking with it.

Last edited:

pr1nce

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
iOS is not boring.There was a time when I enjoyed tweaking and updating OS's with the latest leaks. Now I want the OS to work the way it's supposed to. I would love to be able to attach files to emails and have quick reply. That doesn't mean it's boring.

John Flud

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
IOS aint boring windows phone is boring now that saying something!! Android and Ios are top legit markets which i love rock on IOS YEAAAHHH!!!<3!;)
but what does that mean? I think the windows UI is ugly, garish and cluttered, and those tiles are hard to distinguish. I don't like it, but boring? I'm still not clear on what that means exactly. maybe its like those people that rearrange their furniture every few weeks for no reason because they get "bored" whereas people like me just want a place to sit and don't move furniture around unless there's a reason too. Some people just want change for its own sake. I don't get it, but whatever floats their boat I guess. LOL

dannejanne

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
Oh my. The BB10 keyboard. How I miss that. The iPhone keyboard is very much inferior indeed. Otherwise I don't really miss anything from other systems. iOS 7 fixed what I disliked about iOS and made it boring to me. The dated look.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh