It's true to a certain extent, but there are $20 coffee makers and then there are $200 coffee makers. Even though they are appliances, every appliance is not created equal.
    08-18-2013 10:04 AM
    Boring OS? I think of it in terms of what is the opposite of fun to use. For an OS to be fun to use it must work flawlessly (smooth, fast, lag free) and have all the features you need. If an OS lacks features or is buggy, it won't be fun to use. It must be visually appealing (colors, design, etc). Beyond that, how you interact with the interface must be fun. I think gestures make things more fun. Take flipboard for example. The news is the news, but there is something more fun about flipping and swiping through the news.

WebOS had a lot of fun gestures. It was fun to swipe up to bring up the wave dock of apps and toss apps off the screen, etc. But, webOS lacked features and was laggy, so it wasn't all that fun to use.

I can't wait for iOS 7. We can expect it to work smooth, fast, and pretty much bug free. It's adding features like control center and in camera. It looks fun with all the transparency and real depth (not just pictures and text on a screen--there is more going on). Finally, Apple added lots of gestures (swipe up for control centers, swipe in the middle for spotlight search, swipe to go back in email and messages instead of hitting a button, tossing apps off the screen to close instead of hitting tiny red buttons, flow scrolling through tabs in safari, etc). It's going to be more fun IMO.
    Last edited by PreJamison; 08-18-2013 at 12:44 PM.
    leathernuts#WP and linsiris like this.
    08-18-2013 10:45 AM
    Your post just got e excited for iOS 7 lol
    08-18-2013 11:37 AM
    PreJamison I like what you said and what I've seen, I'm also waiting for iOS7 to come and still there's people that says iOS7 is boring.

I don't really understand why but I respect their opinion, at the end it's a matter of taste :-/
    08-18-2013 11:59 AM
    I've read complaints about iOS7 being boring, and even more for previous versions of iOS.

I've never understood this. I use my phone to do stuff. like check my email, or do facebook, or play some music. I like it when new features come that add usefulness or make the phone easier to use. So basically I want to do stuff with the phone, not play with an OS. I only care about the OS for what it does to make the phone more useful and easy to use. I generally see OS as just that thing working in the background. I don't think about it. I just think "I want to see my emails" and then touch the email icon.

Now if folks complain about some feature on another OS they wish iOS would adopt, that makes sense to me. (I wish apple could steal the blackberry Z10's keyboard)
    but saying the OS is boring? what does that even mean? I'm not trying to put anybody down, I'm really asking, because I don't know.

thanks!
    People don't realize that when you become familiar with something, you'll get bore with it and want to try something new. After a while they get bore with the new stuff then they'll want to something different again. It's just a human tendency. People have to remember this, change for the sake of change is not good!
    08-18-2013 12:07 PM
    People don't realize that when you become familiar with something, you'll get bore with it and want to try something new. After a while they get bore with the new stuff then they'll want to something different again. It's just a human tendency. People have to remember this, change for the sake of change is not good!
    You know that's a thought, but for me, I like being familiar with the something's , to me it makes them more efficient. Picking up my phone and doing what I need without having to figure out how to something, doesn't really make it boring, just more useful.
    08-19-2013 03:39 AM
    I can understand how someone says it's boring. It hasn't changed enough in all these years and when you are paying $600 bucks for a premium device, people expect more ooomph. I don't have any solutions per se, but the costs of owning these devices don't really correlate to the user experience associated with the price tag. However, if you want to make the argument that they are great, and they just work, you can absolutely say that. Then again, an iPhone 4 should suffice, but it's painfully slow - and paying $600 for an iPhone 5 just so Camera loads 10 seconds more quickly seems a bit unfair.
    08-19-2013 10:22 AM
    I can understand how someone says it's boring. It hasn't changed enough in all these years and when you are paying $600 bucks for a premium device, people expect more ooomph. I don't have any solutions per se, but the costs of owning these devices don't really correlate to the user experience associated with the price tag. However, if you want to make the argument that they are great, and they just work, you can absolutely say that. Then again, an iPhone 4 should suffice, but it's painfully slow - and paying $600 for an iPhone 5 just so Camera loads 10 seconds more quickly seems a bit unfair.
    You ARE paying for the experience. The hardware continues to evolve, and with iOS 7, so does the OS... Just because something has not changed (significantly) over a specific time period does not make it "boring"... and even if it did, the major changes in iOS 7 should offset that sentiment.
    08-19-2013 11:12 AM
    ...Just because something has not changed (significantly) over a specific time period does not make it "boring"... and even if it did, the major changes in iOS 7 should offset that sentiment.
    ...but just don't expect Mail to yet offer the ability to add attachments, even if via the iCloud.

"Boring" may, as suggested elsewhere on this thread, be the result of a company that repeats the same mistakes over and over, preferring to disguise these with features users don't really need.
    08-19-2013 01:32 PM
    Then again, an iPhone 4 should suffice, but it's painfully slow - and paying $600 for an iPhone 5 just so Camera loads 10 seconds more quickly seems a bit unfair.
    Yes....becasue with the iphone 5, all you are getting is a camera that loads 10 seconds faster. You are not getting a larger screen, lighter and thinner design, premium build quality, LTE, much faster processor, improved graphics, increased ram efficiency, improved low light camera optics, improved charging port, etc. Good point.
    anon5664829 and Eileen89 like this.
    08-19-2013 01:49 PM
    Some people don't like things repetitive? Dunno can really honestly answer, as I am not the one who is bored...
    08-19-2013 01:54 PM
    ...but just don't expect Mail to yet offer the ability to add attachments, even if via the iCloud.
    Are there 3rd party apps that offer this? I ask because I don't use email much so I haven't run into that.
    08-19-2013 02:04 PM
    There are. you can email pages docs right from pages, numbers, keynotes and others. plus I have google drive which i can easily drag stuff into from my computer. then access from the iphone and email the files.

this is admittedly clunky though. I don't know why on earth apple hasn't made it easier to attach any kind of file to an email.
    08-19-2013 03:17 PM
    I think there's an app "Documents To Go" that lets you attach files and send them as email. Some app even allows multiple attachments if I remember correctly. Don't remember the name though.
    08-19-2013 03:26 PM

"Boring" may, as suggested elsewhere on this thread, be the result of a company that repeats the same mistakes over and over, preferring to disguise these with features users don't really need.
    Again, you are confusing missing features with boring. Not being able to perform a specific function doesn’t make an OS "boring"... in your example, I might call it "lacking".
    08-19-2013 04:19 PM
    Nothing really engaging, no dynamic stuff etc. But iOS 7 changed that.
    08-20-2013 02:02 AM
    iOS limits what you can do, but makes sure that you can do what you can do really well.

Trade-offs, etc.

If we weren't willing to make that trade, we'd all be running Linux on our laptops and switching Android ROMs all the time on our phones. But those don't have the same reliability, and so on...
    08-20-2013 02:11 AM
    Yes....becasue with the iphone 5, all you are getting is a camera that loads 10 seconds faster. You are not getting a larger screen, lighter and thinner design, premium build quality, LTE, much faster processor, improved graphics, increased ram efficiency, improved low light camera optics, improved charging port, etc. Good point.
    Your also getting, with the iPhone 5 (and if recent reports are to be believed) a phone about to be pulled from the market, while still leaving an older one. You want to buy into an orphan product, less than a year old? All the hardware improvements in the world mean diddly-squat if the manufacturer isn't interested in supporting it and the iOS and its built-in apps are lacking.
    08-20-2013 08:20 AM
    Are there 3rd party apps that offer this? I ask because I don't use email much so I haven't run into that.

Yes, there are - but they are overwhelmingly 'paid' apps and require that you start your email from within them, which is very counter-intuitive and is a mess of cut/ pasting if you are trying to reply to an email that is best served with an attachment. And to my knowledge, only Documents to Go allow multiple individual files to be attached to one email.
    Short of photos or videos, you are unable to store locally (or via iCloud) files for direct inclusion in Mail. Sloppy development of a built-in iOS app which is not business friendly. BlackBerry, several free 3rd Party Mail apps in Android (and even my old Palm TX did) allow for attachments directly from the app.
    08-20-2013 08:29 AM
    iOS is about keeping it simple and easy to use for Apple customers. I don't believe they build their OS around keeping people entertained. That said, I'm not bored, but I am looking forward to what iOS7 has to offer.
    08-20-2013 09:12 AM
    Your also getting, with the iPhone 5 (and if recent reports are to be believed) a phone about to be pulled from the market, while still leaving an older one. You want to buy into an orphan product, less than a year old? All the hardware improvements in the world mean diddly-squat if the manufacturer isn't interested in supporting it and the iOS and its built-in apps are lacking.
    Who said the manufacturer isn't interested in supporting it? They are still offering IOS 7 to the iphone 4. Do you honestly think that simply because Apple pulls the 5 from shelves to promote sales of the lower cost model (which is purely rumor at this point) that they are going to leave the millions of purchasers in the dust and not support it with future OS updates? Never happen.

You want to talk about lack of support, that would be my HTC Rezound not getting ICS until 10 months after it was released, or my RAZR not getting it until longer than that. Yet both devices cost me nearly the same off contract price as the 16GB iphone. Go figure.
    John Yester likes this.
    08-20-2013 10:37 AM
    Who said the manufacturer isn't interested in supporting it? They are still offering IOS 7 to the iphone 4. Do you honestly think that simply because Apple pulls the 5 from shelves to promote sales of the lower cost model (which is purely rumor at this point) that they are going to leave the millions of purchasers in the dust and not support it with future OS updates? Never happen.

You want to talk about lack of support, that would be my HTC Rezound not getting ICS until 10 months after it was released, or my RAZR not getting it until longer than that. Yet both devices cost me nearly the same off contract price as the 16GB iphone. Go figure.

​Very well stated Sir.
    08-20-2013 11:36 AM
    I have the luxury of having an iPhone 4S for work and a Samsung Galaxy Note 2 for personal use. Since I got my Note 2 4 months ago, I haven't touched my iphone (because I was bored with the OS). Just today I have updated to ios 7 beta 6 and I think the refreshed interface is nice and smooth, but little too late in my opinion. This also makes me wonder how long Apple will stick with these looks, if it sticks with the same looks again for 4+ years, then I personally would not be interested in purchasing another iPhone again.

It is of my opinion if Apple wants to keep momentum, that more needs to be done in terms of functionality and design improvements. A couple of fancy animations and a graphical redesign just doesn't cut it in my opinion. The settings menus are still horrendous to navigate; I believe this is one of those things that should be improved instead of adding a moving wallpaper or a parallax effect (which is really pointless in my opinion, and you can't even turn it off! I know you can reduce the motion in accessibility, but that's still annoying).

Sorry for ranting guys, I've been an Apple fan for years (since the 3G) and still am. I do think however that the Galaxy Note 2 currently provides me with a superior experience.

I surely hope Apple is working on phones that;
    1. are bigger (3.5 or 4 inch is just too small for me);
    2. have less bezel, the iPhone 4S bezels are so big it actually bugs me.
    and 3. have no giant home button!

I'm looking forward to what Apple has to announce in September
    08-20-2013 11:46 AM
    I have the luxury of having an iPhone 4S for work and a Samsung Galaxy Note 2 for personal use. Since I got my Note 2 4 months ago, I haven't touched my iphone (because I was bored with the OS). Just today I have updated to ios 7 beta 6 and I think the refreshed interface is nice and smooth, but little too late in my opinion. This also makes me wonder how long Apple will stick with these looks, if it sticks with the same looks again for 4+ years, then I personally would not be interested in purchasing another iPhone again.

It is of my opinion if Apple wants to keep momentum, that more needs to be done in terms of functionality and design improvements. A couple of fancy animations and a graphical redesign just doesn't cut it in my opinion. The settings menus are still horrendous to navigate; I believe this is one of those things that should be improved instead of adding a moving wallpaper or a parallax effect (which is really pointless in my opinion, and you can't even turn it off! I know you can reduce the motion in accessibility, but that's still annoying).

Sorry for ranting guys, I've been an Apple fan for years (since the 3G) and still am. I do think however that the Galaxy Note 2 currently provides me with a superior experience.

I surely hope Apple is working on phones that;
    1. are bigger (3.5 or 4 inch is just too small for me);
    2. have less bezel, the iPhone 4S bezels are so big it actually bugs me.
    and 3. have no giant home button!

I'm looking forward to what Apple has to announce in September
    I respect your opinion. I am the complete opposite on some of your views.. But that's is what is great about tech... Each user gets a choice.

But.........

​A lot more done on the back end of the OS.... But most people are only reading the headlines.....
    08-20-2013 11:59 AM
    I know a lot of work has gone into improving ios further. But the issue at hand here is the lack of innovation. A new design is nice and will make your device feel like new again for a while, but I believe more can be done to improve the experience. The pages full of apps for example, why can't something more innovative be done? An informative page would be far more useful in my eyes, then swipe to the right to access your apps.

I just think overall, it could be made less boring...

Like you say though, everyone has their own opinion

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 4
    08-20-2013 05:51 PM
64 123