Stock Mail App and attachments

CDG

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
Re: Stock Mail App

I would also love to attach files whether its pics, docs, songs from stock email app. iOS7 is amazing but adding this feature to stock email app will be doubly good
You can attach photos and videos now but yes I would definitely like to be able to attach other files from the email app as well.

Sent From My iPhone 5 Using Tapatalk

Trees

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site

You can attach photos and videos now but yes I would definitely like to be able to attach other files from the email app as well.

Completely agree. The lack of this basic functionality is a limitation. As much as I like the ecosystem and other iPhone and iOS specific features/functionality - this drives me crazy. It's a weekend, so I may just mothball the 4S until iOS 7 is out, and fire up the Note 2 again after updating with the latest TouchWiz based custom ROMs. Like others have said in this thread I need this functionality.

Trees

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site

So I ended up sharing out the content on my MacBook that I need to email with SugarSync. The "Open In" feature allows User to select from the default Mail or other apps. Mail sends the document, or like the other cloud apps, a link to the document on SugarSync.

Disappointing that iCloud appears to be bound to iCloud aware apps only.

MrZ_Tech

Aug 14, 2013
Visit site

You attach other files as well, you just have to know how. For example, you can attach a weird document to an email using pages. Go to the wrench icon, then share and print, and then email document. You can also do this with PowerPoints and spreadsheets as well.

Sent from my iPhone 5 Sprint 16 GB Black using Tapatalk - now Free

thatotherdude24

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site

It isn't a game changer, but it did quell some of the gripes and complaints and it did bring a radical change to iOS devices, and believe me, there are people who've only used iPhones and have never used Android, Windows Mobile or even Blackberry devices. For those people, iOS 7 is a huge change. Heck, I'm even excited about it and I've used some of the features on Android devices that I previously owned. :)

I guess this is where I differ from you. This biggest change in iOS7 is the appearance so I don't see how the gripes and complaints have been met.

thatotherdude24

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site

You attach other files as well, you just have to know how. For example, you can attach a weird document to an email using pages. Go to the wrench icon, then share and print, and then email document. You can also do this with PowerPoints and spreadsheets as well.

Sent from my iPhone 5 Sprint 16 GB Black using Tapatalk - now Free

Pages changes the formatting of all the Word documents I have tried this with. As the other person mentioned as well....Pages isn't done from within the email app.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

I guess this is where I differ from you. This biggest change in iOS7 is the appearance so I don't see how the gripes and complaints have been met.

Isn't the appearance arguably the biggest change in any OS? Many of the gripes dealt with iOS being unchanged since the original iPhone. Well, iOS 7 has changed that while still maintaining familiarity and ease of use. As for function, c'mon, unless you expect everything to be automated or voice controlled, every OS provide similar tap-to-select capabilities. They all have calendar, email, SMS, reminder/to-do and others that function in almost the exact same manner.

Trees

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
I'm hoping someone can help. Today I needed to reply to an ongoing email thread with an attachment. I couldn't send a private link to the document on my SugarSync for fear and risk of confusing the receiver and over complicating the process, or having the links stripped out by a firewall/security system along the way.

So what I tried was sending myself the required documents from within SugarSync by selecting Mail as the share option. This brought up my @me account with the required documents attached in a new email (had to repeat this for each document). After sending the emails to @gmail address (the one with the ongoing thread), I then selected the entire attachment and the surrounding text - or so I thought - and pasted them one by one into the draft response. Finally sent the reply back to the recipient with the requested documents.

A bit later I received a reply that the docs didn't go through fully (showed as an attachment, but unopenable). So I had to fall back and send the docs via Outlook on my work system, which generated another separate email thread. Now the recipient has to keep track of two email threads.

Is there a simpler or better way to accomplish this? I'm trying to commit to iOS for the long haul, but stuff like this is frustrating when it's relatively simple on BB or Android.

Last edited:

thatotherdude24

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site

Isn't the appearance arguably the biggest change in any OS? Many of the gripes dealt with iOS being unchanged since the original iPhone. Well, iOS 7 has changed that while still maintaining familiarity and ease of use. As for function, c'mon, unless you expect everything to be automated or voice controlled, every OS provide similar tap-to-select capabilities. They all have calendar, email, SMS, reminder/to-do and others that function in almost the exact same manner.

But iOS needs more than just GUI improvements. For example the email attachments from stock mail app, it really needs that and with how advanced phones are today it's shocking it doesn't. iOS is becoming more of a play OS than a productive one.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 4

sconrad308

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site

I use my phone a lot for work and have work files on my phone. I have my departments schedules and some other schedules along with other documents. They are usually PDF's sometimes but word documents. If someone needs those emailed to them, it is so simple on my android phone. I can go to either the document and select share via email or any other way, or I can reply directly to it and send them the file they need.
In fact just last night I had someone need a file that I was saved to my phone and I just replied back and attached the file. Just like I would on my computer at my desk. It's handy having that functionality.
That was actually one of the reasons that I left the iOS platform was because of the limitations that they had placed.

sconrad308

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
I'm hoping someone can help. Today I needed to reply to an ongoing email thread with an attachment. I couldn't send a private link to the document on my SugarSync for fear and risk of confusing the receiver and over complicating the process, or having the links stripped out by a firewall/security system along the way.

So what I tried was sending myself the required documents from within SugarSync by selecting Mail as the share option. This brought up my @me account with the required documents attached in a new email (had to repeat this for each document). After sending the emails to @gmail address (the one with the ongoing thread), I then selected the entire attachment and the surrounding text - or so I thought - and pasted them one by one into the draft response. Finally sent the reply back to the recipient with the requested documents.

A bit later I received a reply that the docs didn't go through fully (showed as an attachment, but unopenable). So I had to fall back and send the docs via Outlook on my work system, which generated another separate email thread. Now the recipient has to keep track of two email threads.

Is there a simpler or better way to accomplish this? I'm trying to commit to iOS for the long haul, but stuff like this is frustrating when it's relatively simple on BB or Android.

It has been a while since I've been on iOS but I don't think there is a better way or another way on iOS. It is a huge limitation of the system. I'm like you and don't want to have 2 or 3 threads that people need to keep up with. We had a schedule we were doing for getting some jobs done and when it got to me to review I realized there were a couple of things left off and was able to edit the document and resend it in the same thread from my phone. But I'm on Android and won't go back to iOS because of their limitations.

thatotherdude24

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
It really depends on how your approach you personal "workflow". I like the current setup because if I have something (document, photo, etc) that needs to be emailed, I want to do it from within the app I'm in at he time whether that is Photos, Pages, Dropbox, etc. I don't want to have to switch to the Mail app, attach something, and then email it.

But if your workflow/thought process when you want to email something is to first go to the Mail app and then try to find what you want to attach, then the current setup doesn't work.

Neither way is right or wrong, but obviously Apple wants (or forces) you to do it the first way.

I understand what you're saying.

But for most of what I do very rarely am I creating a document on my phone. I store it on my phone and send it out as needed. Therefore by having to go to any app other than the mail app is extra time and an extra app. For example attaching a resume, I'm going to make that on my computer so i would just attach it in an email.

I also find it annoying how in order to send an attachment I have to create a new email thread, it's more to keep track of. I do wish Apple would give both options of attaching a document but there definitely needs to be an easier way than there is currently.