Stock Mail App and attachments

thatotherdude24

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
No OS is perfect, I understand that.

One of the features I wish the Apple stock mail app had was the ability to attach file attachments to an email. I know it's possible to do it through a dropbox/mailbox combo but I like the Apple mentality of everything 'just works'. To me 'just works' would work better if that was able to be done through the stock mail app, it's possible on Android through the stock mail app. Does anybody who has played with the iOS 7 betas know if this feature is in iOS 7? If not has anybody heard rumors or anything about it coming?

DC506

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
Re: Stock Mail App

I agree it would be nice from the stock email app, but my work around is to send any files I need send from the document app I am using. Apps such as Pages, Keynote, Documents, Notability etc., all let you choose to send by email.

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site

The biggest key is to get a documents app, much like the photos app. However knowing that documents could be more of a security risk (some people work with sensitive documents), how would they lock it down? That's the biggest thing I can think of.

Bazza1

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site

Its always been a lapse with iOS and I haven't seen anything in reports and reviews of iOS7 to suggest it'll be finally resolved.

It isn't brain surgery - BlackBerry (and heck, even my old Palm TX PDA was) capable of adding attachments from within their stock Mail app. Requiring you to start in a 3rd Party (usually paid-for) app is counter-intuitive and expensive - and a cut/paste nightmare if you are replying to a incoming email with an attachment. And, to my knowledge, the only app that allows you to attach multiple files to one email is Documents to Go.

Its stupid and not very business-friendly. I get Apple is neurotic about letting its iOS users access its file structure. Fine. I'd even be okay with iOS Mail if it allowed you to attach files to emails from the otherwise useless iCloud iWorks service. Failing that, let us access Dropbox, Google Drive, Box....whatever.

But no. Don't expect a real Mail client in iOS7.

mfm77

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site

The Mailbox developers have said they are working on supporting iCloud, Exchange, and Yahoo email accounts. Assuming that happens and that people store their docs in Dropbox, Mailbox could become the file attachment email service we all are craving. Let's hope Apple steps up their game and brings the stock mail app up to speed.

Bazza1

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site

The Mailbox developers have said they are working on supporting iCloud, Exchange, and Yahoo email accounts. Assuming that happens and that people store their docs in Dropbox, Mailbox could become the file attachment email service we all are craving. Let's hope Apple steps up their game and brings the stock mail app up to speed.

They haven't done it yet in their iOS app, but Yahoo! Mail for Android offers the ability to add an attachment either from the device or Dropbox. It might be limited to only 1 file at a time (I haven't tried it), but if they move the Dropbox option to the iOS version - and what with this info about Mailbox - and Apple really will have to get their thumb out of their a**.

thatotherdude24

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site

They haven't done it yet in their iOS app, but Yahoo! Mail for Android offers the ability to add an attachment either from the device or Dropbox. It might be limited to only 1 file at a time (I haven't tried it), but if they move the Dropbox option to the iOS version - and what with this info about Mailbox - and Apple really will have to get their thumb out of their a**.

In Android I haven't found a mail app yet I can't add an attachment too. I do it in the Gmail app frequently.

thatotherdude24

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site

I tried the Mailbox/Dropbox thing and I wasn't a fan. Probably the biggest reason because I am not a Dropbox user at all, 2GB compared to 15GB for Google Drive and 44GB for Skydrive........you can see why I don't use it.

thatotherdude24

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site

I'm sure I am one of the few to say this but I'm not a big fan of how iOS7 looks, the graphical stuff. I do like the features however and I think Apple needs to spend more time on basic features rather than graphical stuff. What a mobile OS looks like isn't a big deal to me, I had no problems with how iOS6 looked but I need productivity features. Being able to attach a file to an email in my opinion is a basic productivity feature. iPhones and iPads are used big in business and if Apple could add more productivity features such as adding an attachment from the stock email app or finding a simple way to transfer files from a computer to an iOS device and vise verse I think Apple would be even more dominant in business mobile.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

I'm sure I am one of the few to say this but I'm not a big fan of how iOS7 looks, the graphical stuff. I do like the features however and I think Apple needs to spend more time on basic features rather than graphical stuff. What a mobile OS looks like isn't a big deal to me, I had no problems with how iOS6 looked but I need productivity features. Being able to attach a file to an email in my opinion is a basic productivity feature. iPhones and iPads are used big in business and if Apple could add more productivity features such as adding an attachment from the stock email app or finding a simple way to transfer files from a computer to an iOS device and vise verse I think Apple would be even more dominant in business mobile.

Other people feel the exact same way in regard to iOS 7 and in regard to Apple needing to focus more on basic features, however, I'm sure you've seen the many posts & threads as well as read various blog articles and tech news bits pushing for Apple to "innovate" and complaining that the UI of iOS hasn't changed since the first iPhone and Yada Yada Yada. Well, iOS 7 is the result of all of that. :)

thatotherdude24

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site

Other people feel the exact same way in regard to iOS 7 and in regard to Apple needing to focus more on basic features, however, I'm sure you've seen the many posts & threads as well as read various blog articles and tech news bits pushing for Apple to "innovate" and complaining that the UI of iOS hasn't changed since the first iPhone and Yada Yada Yada. Well, iOS 7 is the result of all of that. :)

I don't understand what you mean by iOS7 is the result of all that?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 4

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

I don't understand what you mean by iOS7 is the result of all that?

I'm saying that iOS 7 is what Apple has given us to combat the complaints about it not innovating and how iOS was too stale and had been unchanged since the first iPhone.

thatotherdude24

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site

I'm saying that iOS 7 is what Apple has given us to combat the complaints about it not innovating and how iOS was too stale and had been unchanged since the first iPhone.

But I don't see any game changing features in iOS7. The slide up thing to shut off bluetooth /WiFi /flashlight is the biggest deal to me.... I can't remember what is called. The photos thing is more of a play thing and not productivity.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

But I don't see any game changing features in iOS7. The slide up thing to shut off bluetooth /WiFi /flashlight is the biggest deal to me.... I can't remember what is called. The photos thing is more of a play thing and not productivity.

It isn't a game changer, but it did quell some of the gripes and complaints and it did bring a radical change to iOS devices, and believe me, there are people who've only used iPhones and have never used Android, Windows Mobile or even Blackberry devices. For those people, iOS 7 is a huge change. Heck, I'm even excited about it and I've used some of the features on Android devices that I previously owned. :)

Bazza1

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site

Apple has long made it their premise - and its Macoyltes have long been fans - of form over function. What something looks like versus how well it actually does the job. This has caused Apple some product meltdowns (literally and figuratively), but invariably, its what the fans seem to want. So for Apple to spend time pretty'fying the icons rather than fix/add iOS functionality cannot be a great surprise to anyone, because that is, in the end, all the Macoyltes seem to want. And they'll line up on the day to buy a brand new (place Apple product name here) with its new (place operating system here), regardless of how much actual work had gone into these newest version, simply because it's an Apple and it 'looks cool'. And Apple investors smile.

pr1nce

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site

I would really like to be able to attach files to an email. That was the one thing that struck me as strange when I came over from Blackberry.

soodmanhar

Jul 3, 2013
Visit site

I would also love to attach files whether its pics, docs, songs from stock email app. iOS7 is amazing but adding this feature to stock email app will be doubly good

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh