Anyone already decided not upgrading to ios 7?

CrackedBarry

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
Well, I guess I'm kinda screwed, cause I switched from Android six months ago.

Having an iPad for six months really won me over, especially as there were soooo many things I was getting tired of with Android. (Battery life, performance, poor apps, bad design, etc..)

And why am I screwed? Cause I love ios6, esp. the design, and all the delightful skuomorphic touches. A couple of months after I switched IOS 7 gets announced, and I find it the overall design REALLY ugly and tacky.

A couple of things have been improved in the overall design since then, but not nearly enough.

So no, I definitely WON'T upgrade. Aint no way Im letting something that loud, crass and poorly designed get on my phone.

What I might do, is wait until there is a jailbreak for ios7, and when I can be sure that I can either roll it back to 6, or skin it so it'll looks like 6, THEN I might try to install ios7 for a week or two, and see if I find it as distasteful in real life as on pictures.

I guess I won't be the only one, who doesn't want to install it. Apple might come to regret how far they took their redesign.

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Well, I guess I'm kinda screwed, cause I switched from Android six months ago.

Having an iPad for six months really won me over, especially as there were soooo many things I was getting tired of with Android. (Battery life, performance, poor apps, bad design, etc..)

And why am I screwed? Cause I love ios6, esp. the design, and all the delightful skuomorphic touches. A couple of months after I switched IOS 7 gets announced, and I find it the overall design REALLY ugly and tacky.

A couple of things have been improved in the overall design since then, but not nearly enough.

So no, I definitely WON'T upgrade. Aint no way Im letting something that loud, crass and poorly designed get on my phone.

What I might do, is wait until there is a jailbreak for ios7, and when I can be sure that I can either roll it back to 6, or skin it so it'll looks like 6, THEN I might try to install ios7 for a week or two, and see if I find it as distasteful in real life as on pictures.

I guess I won't be the only one, who doesn't want to install it. Apple might come to regret how far they took their redesign.

While I highly doubt Apple will regret how far they took the design, especially considering that recent polls taken reflect a high approval of the new design, I can understand why you feel this way. It is certainly a change. A change that I myself was sketchy on 'prior' to placing it on my phone. It did not take long to grow on me. The icons do not appear out of place on my device while sitting next to others. The clean look, while overwhelmingly white at times, now seems natural. I hope that you get the opportunity to use a device for a while in which IOS 7 is actually installed. The entire experience is different from what still pictures and youtube videos suggest.

Also, keep in mind that some apps are already running overhauls to take on the look of ios 7. The day may come sooner that later where IOS 6 begins to look 'out of place' considering that 3rd party apps have jumped on board with the new look.

CrackedBarry

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
While I highly doubt Apple will regret how far they took the design, especially considering that recent polls taken reflect a high approval of the new design,.

Which one of them? Some polls go the other way, and show a majority that dislike the new design. (Poll: What Do You Think Of The New iOS 7 Design?)

I saw one on Polar that was mostly in favor, but when it comes to a UI, even a 20% or 30% minority that doesn't like your new UI can be a problem.

As to whether they'll regret it, we'll see. One thing is for certain, I don't think we will see the same kind of OS-unity and lack of fragmentation (95% right now use ios6) this time next year.

Apple will probably dial the new design elements down a bit in the future though. They tend to go all out in the first version, and dial it back again once the dust has settled, and they have time to immerse themselves.

As for me, I'll def. give ios7 a couple of weeks. (But only when I have the option to go back) if I don't like it, I'll keep my iphone5 an ios6 machine. And who knows... Maybe Android manufacturers will catch up to where ios6 is in a year or two, so I could switch over again, lol!

Also, keep in mind that some apps are already running overhauls to take on the look of ios 7. The day may come sooner that later where IOS 6 begins to look 'out of place' considering that 3rd party apps have jumped on board with the new look.

Ive thought about that, and thank god that app upgrades are optional ;)

Some apps will undoubtedly go full-on ios7 style, those I'd probably not upgrade, unless it really adds major functionality.

Some will never switch over. I have a couple of apps that I use that work excellently, but have almost never been updated.

As for the vast majority, I think they'll tread carefully at first. Implement the new APIs, but not change the design too much. Or try to go for a neutral style. There still are a lot of iPhones that won't be able to run it, and some who won't update to ios7 even if they could. Esp. Iphone4 owners.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Which one of them? Some polls go the other way, and show a majority that dislike the new design. (Poll: What Do You Think Of The New iOS 7 Design?)

I saw one on Polar that was mostly in favor, but when it comes to a UI, even a 20% or 30% minority that doesn't like your new UI can be a problem.

As to whether they'll regret it, we'll see. One thing is for certain, I don't think we will see the same kind of OS-unity and lack of fragmentation (95% right now use ios6) this time next year.

Apple will probably dial the new design elements down a bit in the future though. They tend to go all out in the first version, and dial it back again once the dust has settled, and they have time to immerse themselves.

As for me, I'll def. give ios7 a couple of weeks. (But only when I have the option to go back) if I don't like it, I'll keep my iphone5 an ios6 machine. And who knows... Maybe Android manufacturers will catch up to where ios6 is in a year or two, so I could switch over again, lol!

You are certainly entitled to your opinion, as are the rest of us. So far, everyone that has seen my iOS 7 beta has been envious and want it/wants to know when they can get it. And FWIW, I don?t go flashing it around, it?s many of my close friends and my family that is so anxious to get it. To each his own, I suppose, and that?s why Mr Baskins and Mr Robbins sell 31 flavors...

Just remember, that you don?t get the internal upgrades of iOS 7 without the "wrapper"... and jailbreaking will be a way off in the future at this point...

Ive thought about that, and thank god that app upgrades are optional ;)

Some apps will undoubtedly go full-on ios7 style, those I'd probably not upgrade, unless it really adds major functionality.

Some will never switch over. I have a couple of apps that I use that work excellently, but have almost never been updated.

As for the vast majority, I think they'll tread carefully at first. Implement the new APIs, but not change the design too much. Or try to go for a neutral style. There still are a lot of iPhones that won't be able to run it, and some who won't update to ios7 even if they could. Esp. Iphone4 owners.

Same thing goes here. Not all of the updates to the apps will be to match the look/feel of iOS 7. Many times those iOS 7-esque interface/icon changes will be accompanied by new functionality and features within the app... so, again, you have to upgrade the look/feel to get the new features... and eventually developers will stop supporting versions of their apps for old versions of iOS and focus on continuing to build for the current and future versions.

Again, it?s your phone, and your choice... but just think about that when you?ve painted yourself into that proverbial corner...

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
I think the biggest change for me to get used to is the Messages app. It seems like no matter where you look, from the funny auto-correct examples seen all over the internet to references to text messages in general, it is often the familiar IOS messages that is used. It almost seems universal. That familiar look is now gone....giving way to the white background with very, VERY, bright green and blue bubbles. Not saying I hate it, or even dislike it, but it isn't 'home' lol.

CrackedBarry

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
You are certainly entitled to your opinion, as are the rest of us. So far, everyone that has seen my iOS 7 beta has been envious and want it/wants to know when they can get it.

Just remember, that you don?t get the internal upgrades of iOS 7 without the "wrapper"... and jailbreaking will be a way off in the future at this point...

Yeah, I've heard that before, when ios7 was discussed. Then again, others claim to have gotten a lot of negative feedback, when showing people the developer beta. We shall see. Most of the people I know who've seen pictures of ios7 weren't impressed.

I was especially worried about the strongly divided reaction among designers, and how intuitive and easy to use it is. (Some of the stuff in there seems pretty counter intuitive)
Cause Apples biggest market right now seems to be people who might not be terribly interested in technology, but "just want it to work".

Again, it?s your phone, and your choice... but just think about that when you?ve painted yourself into that proverbial corner...

What sort of internal upgrades are you thinking about? The Sprite framework or what?

Most of the other new features like control center etc. left me kinda underwhelmed. I mean it'd be alright to have, but coming from Android I was used to that there, and really don't miss it very much.

reeneebob

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
I am so glad the textures and fakey fake fabrics of iOS 6 and prior are going away. That was the one thing I've always loathed about iOS - I thought they were cheap looking. I can't wait for iOS 7.

Tippy tapped from my iPhone 5, from me to you.

Duvi

Jun 17, 2008
Visit site
Still deciding whether I wanna lose my jailbreak on my personal i5. I didn't care about my work i5 and put it on but having app lock has rely helped, especially when letting customers use my phone (using the jail break app).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

codehut

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
Honestly I think you have to give iOS 7 a a bit of time to mature some. It's improving with every beta release I put on my device and is only going to get better.

And it does grow on you too. At first for me it felt really foreign...now though I'm starting to love it.

Chadha

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
What??? Does the ios 7 runs slower? Then I'm not upgrading. The icons and interface of ios 7 turned off me anyway.

Sent from my GSIII using Tapatalk

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
There still are a lot of iPhones that won't be able to run it, and some who won't update to ios7 even if they could. Esp. Iphone4 owners.
This isn't true. The iPhone 4 is also getting iOS7 minus some of features that other iPhones are getting and it is capable of running it. There are many Beta testers out there who are currently testing iOS7 on their iPhone 4's now.

draztikrhymez

May 17, 2011
Visit site
I don't like people who judge android without even using vanilla android, but some samsung touchwiz **** or htc sense.

Quote samsung user:
"OMFG MY SAMSUNG GALAXY S1 IS SO SLOW ANDROID SUCKS!!!"

Note; that the s1 is very old and not capable of newest android, and that its bloated with touchwiz which is very heavy.

Sent from sending thing..

I have to agree with you. I have a Nexus 4 to play with my fianc? has a HTC One and they both are very fast with no lag and ever since maybe a galaxy 2 have never experienced lag.

Back on topic I will upgrade my beta to gm. I actually like the new looks and the new notification center and control center replace some of my jailbreak apps.

Only thing that sucks is my company provides iPhone 4 so I'm not going to have the fastest or most feature laden experience.

JimmyG252

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
If the time come that there is an app for my iPhone that I can't live without then that will be the day I should consider getting a new life instead.

I love my iPhone, but it is not a real computer, and it sure isn't a real camera either. It's a phone.

-my two cents worth

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
This might be a good time for everyone to chill out a bit... please don’t let this thread descend into personal attacks.

Last edited:

bigglybobblyboo

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
Wow! Just thought I'd pop over here from Crackberry to see how iOS7 is being received and it's like being over there on steroids!

Whilst we bicker about whether BB management is to blame for the (perceived) failure of an incredible new OS - too few apps tho! - you seem to be the other way...

So, with apologies to others who will have probably mentioned it previously,

Is iOS7 Apples Windows 8? Is it that much of a departure from what went before?

Just interested...

098v

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
Is iOS7 Apples Windows 8? Is it that much of a departure from what went before?
Just interested...

I belie that it is something like Apple's version of Windows 8 minus the part where everyone hates half of the newly implemented things (not counting the new Apple icons that some people hated but soon learned to love). As for the upgrading to IOS 7 I will not be upgrading because the battery life of IOS 7 on iPhone 4 is absolutely terrible unless that problem has been fixed my decision stands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk