I do not see any reason why I shouldn't update to iOS7, especially since every major update brings more functionality with it.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2.
    07-21-2013 08:50 AM
    Great summary. As someone who has used multiple platforms, there's no truer statement than OS choice is all about trade-offs. While I liked many of the features of each platform I used (BlackBerry/Android), each had limitations that were frustrating. Truth be told, so does iOS. However, weighing all the pros and cons, iOS comes out on top for me for overall user experience, so I'm sticking with it for now and will definitely be upgrading to iOS 7 when it's available to the public.
    Yes. The overall user experience combined with the upcoming iOS 7 enhancements is what triggered my move back to iOS from over a year in Android land. Now picture someone with a Galaxy Note 2 and its massive screen, 4G LTE, and solid features going back to a mothballed 4S and iOS 6.1.3. That's me. Why would I do this besides gaining the apparent goodness that will be iOS 7?

The main reason is seamless integration with the OS X, iCloud, and Apple TV ecosystem in the house. Throw in iMessage and FaceTime capabilities with extended family members, and a solid support set from Apple as a few more reasons. Consistent user interface and a functional native backup system with iTunes are yet more reasons.

I'm holding out for a larger iPhone than the 5. If that doesn't materialize I'll still pickup a 5S or whatever the next one is. That's how much I'm willing to temporarily give up related to form factor and features in exchange for a seamless, stable, solid, and relatively worry free experience.
    Anthonyiamador likes this.
    07-21-2013 09:44 AM
    For me I think I will upgrade my iPhone and iPad once the official iOS 7 is released
    07-21-2013 10:23 AM
    I know this is probably a horrible analogy, i just hope ios 7 doesnt end up being like the "windows 8 experience" where as the os is so drastically changed. For me personally i love apple products and it is the little things that count for me. I probably will update anyways just because i want my apps to continue to be supported. I guess we will have to wait to see the future of apple now that Steve is no longer the control of things. Miss you man!
    07-21-2013 06:41 PM
    I know this is probably a horrible analogy, i just hope ios 7 doesnt end up being like the "windows 8 experience" where as the os is so drastically changed. For me personally i love apple products and it is the little things that count for me. I probably will update anyways just because i want my apps to continue to be supported. I guess we will have to wait to see the future of apple now that Steve is no longer the control of things. Miss you man!
    IMHO, this is a horrible analogy. Sure Apple has switched up quite a bit about iOS 7, but I defy anyone to convince me that they can look at it and not know what to do. Windows 8 was an incredible change to the very functionality of the device/OS. Savvy and seasoned techies had no clue how to proceed.

Sure, the icons and the "look" of iOS 7 could be considered a drastic departure from previous versions of iOS, but you still launch apps by tapping on the icons... tapping the home button still takes you to your home screen... "Settings" still functions similarly to the previous versions, though some additional niceties have been added - including shortcuts to toggles for some of the basic controls (Airplane Mode, Wifi, Bluetooth, Do Not Disturb, Rotation Lock and media player controls)... and Apple has given us a lot of new functionality.

Whether or not you approve of the new look and the new icon set, iOS 7 is definitely a big evolutionary step for iOS, not a complete redo of the interface that makes its use difficult, confusing and a downright frustrating experience.
    Last edited by Fausty82; 07-21-2013 at 07:12 PM.
    07-21-2013 06:56 PM
    You're absolutely right. I regret that last post of mine, i dont even know why i compared ios 7 to windows 8....
    BreakingKayfabe likes this.
    07-21-2013 07:08 PM
    It never fails to amaze me how quickly Apple fans take umbrage to any individual / blog site / media outlet who suggest, even with regrets, that perhaps an Apple product isn't as good as advertised / hoped for - and how loudly (and often, unpleasantly) these enthusiasts lash out. And Apple seems to rely on these folk to 'keep the brand alive', even when they know work must be done.

In my original post, I noted I have an iPhone 4 and I stated I would be upgrading to iOS7 to see what was improvements were there. But I also suggested that perhaps the improvements would be incremental - at worse, cosmetic - rather than improving the iOS experience for me. Later in the thread we discussed smartphones maturing and perhaps only a finite number of things one can do to them and I agreed with that, but thought perhaps Apple had gotten distracted with adding 'features' (Newsstand, Passbook, Siri, Facebook integration, the replacement of Maps) rather than fixing the existing iOS, its built-in apps and the user experience. The iPhone (and its OS) - 5 years on - has got to be better than an over-sexed iPod Touch and more than a direct conduit to Apple's money-maker, the iTunes Store.

Meanwhile, my suggestion that perhaps my next phone wouldn't be an iPhone opened the floodgates to a lot of apparent hate-on for the Android OS (and, as is appropriate per the market share, Windows) - and I'll admit there's bad (and good) things about these alternative systems and the apps they include. But not enough to encourage the sturm und drang that accompanied the responses.

The iPhone and its OS may be the best of the lot at present, but that is no reason for Apple to rest on its laurels. OS creators on all sides should learn and adapt - and not just sue others to distract from lack of anything 'insanely great'. And Jobs is dead - get over the fact the anti-social megalomaniac no longer tells you want you want or that you hold the product wrong. Demand more from Apple - because there are options.

But the whole Apple vs Them rage from Macoyltes is so 1990s and wildly misplaced.
    07-22-2013 10:32 AM
    I love ios 7, but i got really feely eyes and i can't stand the lag while scrolling.

Sent from my jailbroken iPhone
    07-25-2013 06:06 PM
    I will absolutely upgrade all my devices to iOS7...been playing around with the beta releases and think it's a long overdue refresh of the user experience...so much cleaner and almost eliminates the need for jail break...
    07-29-2013 01:45 PM
    I love ios 7, but i got really feely eyes and i can't stand the lag while scrolling.

What device you running it on? It's smooth on my iPhone 5.

Sent from my pimped iPhone
    07-29-2013 02:13 PM
    I have not decided yet.

I waited for almost a year and a half of my Pre & bought an iphone 4s specifically because i liked the look. I very much don't like that way windows looks with all it's flat tones and text. So ios 7 is a jarring, unwanted shock. Also my phone is used primarily for playing music and podcasts. The music app is important. I'll never use radio, i don't have content from itunes, i don't use match. I just have a large 64gb phone. So my big concern will be changes to the music interface. If menu navigation has changed in a way that makes using the phone music player a pain i'll be disappointed. Like when i had a pre, it was hard to navigate by genre, you just got a massive list of alphabetized songs. With thousands and thousands of songs that's a useless mode. Better it go genre, artist, album, then song. So having not seen that i'll have to wait and see. I just don't know yet. I may load the beta just to see. But i've already bookmarked how to roll back to ios 6 for the future and i've already saved the current ios 6 firmware on my hard drive. I'll have to figure out if there's more i have to do just to be safe. i like some of the feature in ios 7 but they've gutted the looks of it the major reason i got the phone. It's honestly made me reconsider if i'll buy an android phone next time around but the thing is i'm not buying a new phone in the next 7 or 8 months anyways so I have time to see if i change my mind, see if ios 7 grows on me or see if i can change it to make it work for me. Like maybe jailbreak skins come out removing some flatness. Honestly i know nothing about skinning ios or if it's possible but i once saw what i thought were skins that you could install in jailbroken. What i really wish is they'd have given us multiple ios skins and we could simply go into settings and change the look of ios.
    Anthonyiamador likes this.
    07-29-2013 04:23 PM
    You know, I have used all of the betas and to be quite honest, even if IOS 7 ran perfect, I would pass for IOS 6. It just looks like a kids operating system and the colors have got to go. Yes, I am sure they will work on the colors and some other things but at the end of the day, if it ain't broke, why fix it? Thats how I see IOS 6. I think Apple dropped the ball and should have concentrated on widgets or customization.

Thats just my two cents.
    07-30-2013 05:39 PM
    I'll upgrade to iOS 7. I saw a good news about the beta's fingerprint recognition shared by enolsoft on twitter. I wanna try it ASAP!
    If, in fact, there is a fingerprint scanner, it won’t be in any device other than the new iPhone. The existing phones don’t have the hardware component...
    BLiNK likes this.
    07-30-2013 11:17 PM
    You know, I have used all of the betas and to be quite honest, even if IOS 7 ran perfect, I would pass for IOS 6. It just looks like a kids operating system and the colors have got to go. Yes, I am sure they will work on the colors and some other things but at the end of the day, if it ain't broke, why fix it? Thats how I see IOS 6. I think Apple dropped the ball and should have concentrated on widgets or customization.

Thats just my two cents.
    speaking of kids.. it seems like you're acting like one who did not get the toy they wanted
    07-30-2013 11:20 PM
    What device you running it on? It's smooth on my iPhone 5.

Sent from my pimped iPhone
    Iphone 4 :/

07-31-2013 04:10 AM
    Iphone 4 :/

It's starting to show its age unfortunately.
    07-31-2013 04:19 AM
    The iOS 7 release date can't come quick enough for me. The last time I was looking forward to a software release was iOS 5. iMessage and notifications centre ect.

Sent from my iPhone 5 32Gb white.
    07-31-2013 06:24 AM
    The iOS 7 release date can't come quick enough for me. The last time I was looking forward to a software release was iOS 5. iMessage and notifications centre ect.

Sent from my iPhone 5 32Gb white.
    I'm with you. I spent a lot of time customising my GS3 to have the look and colour scheme of iOS 7, I love what I've seen so far and can't wait.

I guess if that means I'm a 'kid' because I like the redesign, I'm a 38 year old child.
    07-31-2013 07:37 AM
    better feature set, more optimization to list a few... Sure sounds like a good idea to me.
    07-31-2013 08:21 AM
    One of the things I like about iOS is 3 years of free updates.
    (3 years being an approximate number. It's not written in stone)
    Of course I'm gonna download it.
    Then wait for a jailbreak.
    Then wait for a patch that kills the jailbreak.
    Then NOT download the patch.
    (Unless it also fixes something I can't live with)

It's part of iOS culture.
    Last edited by LazyStarGazer; 07-31-2013 at 12:23 PM.
    07-31-2013 10:43 AM
    One of the things I like about iOS is 3 years of free updates.
    Of course I'm gonna download it.
    Then wait for a jailbreak.
    Then wait for a patch that kills the jailbreak.
    Then NOT download the patch.
    (Unless it also fixes something I can't live with)

It's part of iOS culture.
    Three years of free updates? The updates are always free... and will continue to come as long as the hardware supports the feature set of the OS - for the life of the device...
    07-31-2013 11:39 AM
    Three years of free updates? The updates are always free... and will continue to come as long as the hardware supports the feature set of the OS - for the life of the device...
    ...which is about 3 years.

I'll edit my post to make it more semantically pleasing to you.

Edit: I'm basing this on my first iPhone, the 3GS.
    07-31-2013 12:21 PM
    ...which is about 3 years.

I'll edit my post to make it more semantically pleasing to you.

Edit: I'm basing this on my first iPhone, the 3GS.
    Got it. My point was that there is not published timeframe... but there is definitely an "end of life cycle" for most products... and just saying "3 years of updates" is not totally accurate...

We’re good here.
    07-31-2013 01:16 PM
    Apple will provide you any iOS software updates that it may release from time to time, up to and including the next major iPhone OS software release following the version of iPhone OS that originally shipped from Apple on your iPhone, for free.

For example, if your iPhone originally shipped with iPhone 2.x software, Apple would provide you with any iPhone OS software updates it might release up to and including the iPhone 3.x software release.

The problem with this is that there's no clear timeline, something that says 'after such and such a date, your handset will no longer receive updates or security fixes.' That would be clear and concise. It would mean that owners wouldn't have to keep track of which iOS they had on the phone originally and what they have now.

And yes back in the day iPod owners did have to pay...
    07-31-2013 01:32 PM
    With this also, you can do the math....

Example -

When iOS 4 was released in 2010, the original iPhone could not benefit from any of the new features and was essentially outdated. This meant that the original iPhone had an effective lifespan of three years. The iPhone 3G, released in June 2008, had similar difficulties running iOS 4 when users tried to upgrade from their original operating system.

Apple stopped supporting the iPhone 3G with software updates back in the day, as the newer iPhone 4 was introduced. This meant that both the original iPhone and iPhone 3G had a lifespan of about three years before users would have to seriously consider upgrading their phones. The same is currently going on now.....

Just history in the making....

Attached Thumbnails Anyone already decided not upgrading to ios 7?-ios-stats.png  
    07-31-2013 01:45 PM
148 12345 ...