iOS 7's Calendar App needs some drastic improvements

mlg321

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
When I click on a date in month view it separated and shows me events for that day. When I hit the month it goes back to full month view.

I'm trying to upland a photo but tapatalk is telling me to make a stupid ID and it's not accepting anything.

jayes

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
I have been using a calendar program called Week Calendar It's not free, but worth the few dollars I paid. Besides the usual calendar views - month and day, it has a week's agenda view- 8 blocks of time (it doubles up on Sundays) and lists your appointments in each day with times making it easy to see the week ahead at a glance. There is a month view like iOS 6 that shows the month with the appointments below, but there is also a mini month view which shows the entire month with your appointments written in each box. There are 6 wasy to see your data. There are many more functions but I only use the most basic. I don't mind the stock calendar on my mini, but the phone app is lacking in my opinion.

PhoneAddict

May 28, 2011
Visit site
Question - I see the next scheduled appointment listed in the pull down Notification Center, but not all appointments for today. Is there something I am missing?

TurboTiger

Nov 27, 2003
Visit site
You can also get something close to a list view in the iOS 7 calender simply by clicking on the magnifying glass icon within the calendar app. It’s not perfect, but it’s pretty darn close.

Yes I got that greystealth's post above yours
Works for me.
Tks Fausty

lanyc

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site
I agree. I cannot figure out how to use this calendar at all. I rely heavily on it for work and it seems to have no functionality whatsoever. I entered many events, but they are not saved. This new version 7 is for the birds. Now I have to go back to paper and pen on my regular calendar. Some "smartphone". More like a "dumb phone". I don't know who thinks up these "upgrades". They are dreadful . Will never buy another Apple product. They seem to be getting less and less user friendly , which is why I bought them in the first place . Very poor oversight on the part of the CEO Tim Cook. What does he do all day? The engineers on the staff are obviously out to lunch. Maybe too much California home grown "fresh air". Sad to say the Apple company has gone down hill since Steve Jobs passed away. I was very happy with my 4s when I bought it 2 years ago. Now I feel like I own a piece of junk. Can barely read the skinny letters on the keyboard, calendar doesn't work, fonts smaller and pastel and grey writing is VERY hard to read.
I am very unhappy with this "upgrade" and wish I had the old version back. What a poor turn the Apple brand is taking. Much as I like the operating system, I will be looking at a new brand when I buy my next phone. Any one else

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I agree. I cannot figure out how to use this calendar at all. I rely heavily on it for work and it seems to have no functionality whatsoever. I entered many events, but they are not saved. This new version 7 is for the birds. Now I have to go back to paper and pen on my regular calendar. Some "smartphone". More like a "dumb phone". I don't know who thinks up these "upgrades". They are dreadful . Will never buy another Apple product. They seem to be getting less and less user friendly , which is why I bought them in the first place . Very poor oversight on the part of the CEO Tim Cook. What does he do all day? The engineers on the staff are obviously out to lunch. Maybe too much California home grown "fresh air". Sad to say the Apple company has gone down hill since Steve Jobs passed away. I was very happy with my 4s when I bought it 2 years ago. Now I feel like I own a piece of junk. Can barely read the skinny letters on the keyboard, calendar doesn't work, fonts smaller and pastel and grey writing is VERY hard to read.
I am very unhappy with this "upgrade" and wish I had the old version back. What a poor turn the Apple brand is taking. Much as I like the operating system, I will be looking at a new brand when I buy my next phone. Any one else

First of all, welcome to the iMore forums.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion... but you’re going to find a new platform over a few issues with the calendar app? That seems a bit drastic to me. Sure there are some serious issues with the calendar's month view, but why not spend a few bucks on a new calendar app and stay with the brand? There are many great apps from which to choose.

And can you clarify your position on iOS 7? You say that you’re "very unhappy with this 'upgrade'" and want the old one back, but then say "I like the operating system".

Finally, are you simply voicing your displeasure, which is certainly your prerogative or are you seeking answers/solution?

Last edited:

Paradocks

May 5, 2012
Visit site
If you use a third party calendar app like Fantastical do appointments show up on the notification screen? Or is that strictly reserved for the built in calendar app?

Sent from somewhere

JsGrandma

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I agree with missing the List view in the native Calendar app, but have found that Sunrise Calendar (free) is very close to the native Calendar we had in iOS6. You can have the full month view with dots and an hourly view of the current day by simply pulling down on the week view. The only downside to a 3rd party calendar app is that the current date doesn't show on the badge but otherwise Sunrise is a good alternative app.

mfm77

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
As much as I love iOS 7 (and I definitely am loving it), I'm not a big fan of the new calendar, either. Apple should have taken cues from Fantastical and Calendars by Readdle in designing the calendar. I may give Fantastical 2 a shot when it comes out next month - either that, or Readdle's Calendars 5.

lush242000

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
I still can't get over the removal of all the "month view" functionality. That was my most used view in iOS 6... you get to see the entire month, you know when you have events, and when you press a particular day, the list view of that day's event shows on the bottom in a great list. I've tried almost every 3rd party calendar app, and I kept going back to the stock app even thought it wasn't the most attractive.

Now, Apple has decided to neuter the "month view" and the "week view" requires you to scroll through the entire day (24 hour day) even if you only have one event that day! WTF. At least provide an option to preview the week view with a list function instead of a full day function. Very disappointing.

Although I like the look of the new calendar app, the usability and functionality are terrible compared to older stock app.

I like he new calendar. No issues here.

Sent from somewhere.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2