Mail: Apple Take Note

Bazza1

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
Yahoo Mail for Android has released an update that includes the ability to include (directly from the app) attachments from Dropbox. Apple's Mail for iOS still (even after 6 years) has no attachment ability unless its a photo stored locally or you access it from a 'back door' via another app entirely, which is ***-backwards.

I would encourage Apple (especially if it wants to cater to the business user) to think on this for iOS7 - using its own iCloud service if it doesn't want its users to access a 3rd Party cloud provider and / or its ongoing neurosis about letting users get near local files, even if created by its own Pages app.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Hopefully, what you mentioned will be implemented, however, Apple is already catering to businesses and have replaced Blackberry, in many instances, as the device of choice for business use. Furthermore, if there's an app for it, I could care less if the native app doesn't have its features. All I care about is whether or not I can accomplish the task from my phone, but that's Just Me, D. ;)

Bazza1

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
Thing is JustMe'D, users shouldn't need to have to rely on another app (especially as the majority of them are pay-to-play) to do a basic email task. That both my old BlackBerry (and even older Palm TX) did without issue. And, as far as I know, only Documents to Go allows you to add more than one attachment per email. Then there's the matter of replying to an email with an attachment - a great deal of cut and pasting involved there.

Starting an email in an unrelated app is not user-intuitive. At least give users the ability to access their files on (the otherwise useless) iCloud service. How hard can it be?
:tongue:

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
I don't think that is going to be something that shows up in iOS 7. Perhaps a point release 7.1, .2, etc. or it might be in iOS 8. There is so much different in iOS 7 that Apple I think is trying to get it to be rock solid with all the new bells and whistles come launch day. I have submitted over 11 new bugs on beta 3 and these are things that were working in iOS 6 already. So to take on extra load of implimenting something new that they didn't announce at WWDC it just wouldn't make sense. I am with you on it I have been wanting that for a long, long time but I'm willing to wait since some of the things I've wanted are finally in iOS 7.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Thing is JustMe'D, users shouldn't need to have to rely on another app (especially as the majority of them are pay-to-play) to do a basic email task. That both my old BlackBerry (and even older Palm TX) did without issue. And, as far as I know, only Documents to Go allows you to add more than one attachment per email. Then there's the matter of replying to an email with an attachment - a great deal of cut and pasting involved there.

Starting an email in an unrelated app is not user-intuitive. At least give users the ability to access their files on (the otherwise useless) iCloud service. How hard can it be?
:tongue:

I agree to a point that users shouldn't need to rely in 3rd party apps for certain basic functions, but at the same time, I'm glad that those 3rd party apps exists to provide me with the functions/options that may be missing natively. Seriously though, you are spot-on in regard to the email attachment thing. ;)

Bazza1

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
I agree to a point that users shouldn't need to rely in 3rd party apps for certain basic functions, but at the same time, I'm glad that those 3rd party apps exists to provide me with the functions/options that may be missing natively. Seriously though, you are spot-on in regard to the email attachment thing. ;)

So I guess we can forever thankful that The Stevo was talked off the ledge upon from which he originally insisted that these devices use only Apple-developed apps? :rolleyes:

Still, 5 years of iOS and they still haven't got around to this? I'd forgo a less new and shiny set of icons in favour of a little R&D where it's really needed. I know I may be in the minority with the Macoyltes...

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
So I guess we can forever thankful that The Stevo was talked off the ledge upon from which he originally insisted that these devices use only Apple-developed apps? :rolleyes:
I hear ya...;)
Still, 5 years of iOS and they still haven't got around to this? I'd forgo a less new and shiny set of icons in favour of a little R&D where it's really needed. I know I may be in the minority with the Macoyltes...
There is nothing wrong with wanting or asking for a function or an option in a device to make it more suitable for you. The problem comes when people forgo devices that have the capabilities and options they desire for one that does not and then end up complaining about it. By the way, I'm not implying that you are that way. Okay?...:)

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
To give constructive feedback to Apple, I'd really suggest going through the official Apple channels?unlikely they're going to see your feedback posted here.

Bazza1

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
I hear ya...;)
There is nothing wrong with wanting or asking for a function or an option in a device to make it more suitable for you. The problem comes when people forgo devices that have the capabilities and options they desire for one that does not and then end up complaining about it. By the way, I'm not implying that you are that way. Okay?...:)

'Kay. :biggrin:

Actually, my wireless provider gave me my iPhone 4 when a change in their online partner meant that BlackBerry could no longer sync with the online Calendar, Contacts. Tasks, etc. As we were debating this issue, the phone (quite coincidentally) died - so it was simply less hassle for them to hand me a product that did sync.
That said, it never occurred to me (after my aforementioned BlackBerry and Palm TX) that a smartphone provider would actually build a Mail app without the ability to add attachments. And that a couple years down the line, they still haven't managed to do it - yet managed to find the time to give us Newsstand, Passbook, Maps and Siri...

Just sayin'.

:rolleyes:

Bazza1

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
To give constructive feedback to Apple, I'd really suggest going through the official Apple channels—unlikely they're going to see your feedback posted here.

True enough re: this site. I'll just drop Tim a line, shall I? Lord knows they react to every suggestion that comes in thru their public 'official channels' - some poor intern likely left to wade through them.

Thanks largely to Apple apologists, the Company has traditionally only responded to an issue after it makes bad press in mainstream media. Its sad, but true. Mail will never be a sexy issue for the media to report on, largely because they've accepted Apple's neurosis about file structure and they quietly accept that the whole purpose of iOS is to be a conduit to the iTunes Store - not to offer a great smartphone.

Wishing for more is just a case of 'holding it wrong'.

Pity.

Dryland

Jul 10, 2009
Visit site
The problem is deeper than just allowing attachments, Apple must first create a user navigation able file system. It will be sandboxed and not as robust as iFile. iCloud looks like the option to go with, giving it dropbox like functions.

Apple has been leaving it up to developers to enable document sharing with mail. It stands to reason that the app you open the document in should be the app you send the document from. But thats against many peoples work style. AirDrop needs to work between Mac and iOS.

We have documents in iCloud, we should be able to file them as we see fit. And unlimited access to that repository at the least. People would run out of the 5GB in iCloud easily.

Maybe in iOS 8, but I dont see anything that would enable mail attachments at the moment. Personally, I prefer sending web links to documents in Dropbox or Box so the Mail attachments has never been an issue.

Bazza1

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
...It stands to reason that the app you open the document in should be the app you send the document from. But thats against many peoples work style. AirDrop needs to work between Mac and iOS....
...Personally, I prefer sending web links to documents in Dropbox or Box so the Mail attachments has never been an issue.

I guess I'm one of the 'many people', Dryland.

I don't (and I can't think of anybody I know) who, having a document on file, first open it in Word or Pages or whatever and then proceed to create an email from there. Similarly, having got an email from someone that requires a reply best including an attachment, I don't expect to have to cut the original email, open Word / Pages > Send to Mail > Paste original email and then respond to it.
Recognizing I wish to send an email, I open whatever Mail client I have, create the email and attach the appropriate file from there. Similarly, if I want to reply to a received email, I do so from within the mail program and attach the supporting file. That's the way 'many people' expect email to function.

If it seems impossible to do with a locally stored file in a mobile device, I'm okay with accessing a cloud service to find a copy of that file to attach it. Really. Providing it'd not going to cost me anything (read: data use when out of the country - say, on business). But again, that's gotta be done through a Mail app.

As for attaching links to files online - I get what you are saying, but a lot of people / companies / corporations are hesitant about being forced to go online to retrieve files (security and all), and it's poor form to require them to access something of yours that you have sent. An email should arrive complete, just like a 'real' letter - not expecting someone to then go to post office to get the rest of your correspondence.

If Apple can't (won't) step up, they shouldn't be surprised if the usefulness of their app (and iCloud) comes into question. Their success rate with built-in apps and cloud storage (over 3rd Party) is already pretty tenuous - do they really want to let another one of their apps to be tossed into a 'Junk Drawer' folder in iOS?

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
While it's not something I really need that often I agree that it shouldn't be so troublesome?just give us a Documents app and treat it just like the Camera Roll (which you can attach from directly within Mail). Nothing new to learn for users and it adds functionality.

Bazza1

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
While it's not something I really need that often I agree that it shouldn't be so troublesome—just give us a Documents app and treat it just like the Camera Roll (which you can attach from directly within Mail). Nothing new to learn for users and it adds functionality.

Exactly.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2